Docking station for Surface from MS?

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
That Dell s2340t monitor looks perfect for docking! Having audio, ethernet and peripherals run through USB 3.0 and video via DisplayPort would be awesome. I might nearly be able to ditch my KVM, or replace it with just a USB switch.

I'd forego the touch screen for a cheaper price though, and it's a pity they don't do it in 16:10 with one of their UltraSharp panels.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone actually connected a Targus, Kensington, or other DisplayLink port replicator (docking station) to the Surface Pro yet? If so, what was your experience? Did it run video okay? Was Ethernet running at full speed?

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Surface Pro has additional connections on the bottom that currently aren't being used. Panos said they will be for additional accessories such as a battery add on. I see them making a more rigid keyboard/battery dock pretty quick. I picked up the touch cover and am hoping on getting a more rigid dock as well cause I don't like the feel of the type cover keys behind the device in tablet mode.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The Surface Pro has additional connections on the bottom that currently aren't being used. Panos said they will be for additional accessories such as a battery add on. I see them making a more rigid keyboard/battery dock pretty quick. I picked up the touch cover and am hoping on getting a more rigid dock as well cause I don't like the feel of the type cover keys behind the device in tablet mode.

I wonder if it can support video output like the setup Ive been talking about in this thread?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The Surface Pro has four extra pins. That's enough for USB 2.0, but not much more.

From the Reddit AMA, those are instead almost definitely for a battery keyboard, but you're not going to see extra ports there. They also explicitly said they're not working on a desktop dock.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The Surface Pro has four extra pins. That's enough for USB 2.0, but not much more.

From the Reddit AMA, those are instead almost definitely for a battery keyboard, but you're not going to see extra ports there. They also explicitly said they're not working on a desktop dock.

Well that sucks.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Cool. Heres hoping it is a rigidi VaporMG keyboard to improve lap balance with a battery to extend us up to 10 to 12 hours. That would deal with all the nay sayers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism