Anyone switching from RT to Pro?

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought the RT for my wife, and was thinking to get the Pro for myself. However, I may hold off 'till the release of Asus Transformer Book to make final decision.

Dinkumschnauger

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm selling my RT in the UK, mint condition with box etc...., but I get the feeling you're not in the UK :( (FYI, so I can get a Pro when they release it over here!)

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone switching from RT to Pro

With no need for a laptop for myself, I'd prefer the RT because all I use tablets for is media consumption on a device that can stay off of a charging cord for long periods.

aalex

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have both the 64 GB Surface RT and the 128 GB Surface Pro. I don't know that I will give up the RT. I might just keep both. Surface is fantastic. Been playing with Sketchbook Pro on the Surface Pro and it is unbelievably great. The pen is great. Glad Microsoft is providing a pen for artists. The pressure sensitivity is amazing.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have both the 64 GB Surface RT and the 128 GB Surface Pro. I don't know that I will give up the RT. I might just keep both. Surface is fantastic. Been playing with Sketchbook Pro on the Surface Pro and it is unbelievably great. The pen is great. Glad Microsoft is providing a pen for artists. The pressure sensitivity is amazing.

Does the pen work only on the Pro? Or can it also be used on the RT as a basic pen?

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I saw the Surface Pro for the first time today at Best Buy. They had the RT and Pro side by side so I was able to really do direct comparison. The Pro was about as thick as I imagined, not that bad, but it was heavier than I anticipated and made the RT feel petite. The Pro felt good and solid but I wouldn't want to hold it up in one hand for an extended time. Both screens looked great and the distinction between the two models is not dramatic. It reminds me of the iPad 2 and iPad 3 where my friend and I were not sure which was display was Retina without looking closely. The dramatic and unexpected difference was in speed. The Pro flies through web pages and apps compared to the RT. Having them side by side and hitting each screen at the same time... major difference. I hadn't really considered getting the Pro but seeing it in action was persuasive. If it wasn't for the 4 hour battery life the decision would be easy.

BTW, the salesperson at Best Buy knew details about both Surface models. He said he wanted the Pro.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I saw the Surface Pro for the first time today at Best Buy. They had the RT and Pro side by side so I was able to really do direct comparison. The Pro was about as thick as I imagined, not that bad, but it was heavier than I anticipated and made the RT feel petite. The Pro felt good and solid but I wouldn't want to hold it up in one hand for an extended time. Both screens looked great and the distinction between the two models is not dramatic. It reminds me of the iPad 2 and iPad 3 where my friend and I were not sure which was display was Retina without looking closely. The dramatic and unexpected difference was in speed. The Pro flies through web pages and apps compared to the RT. Having them side by side and hitting each screen at the same time... major difference. I hadn't really considered getting the Pro but seeing it in action was persuasive. If it wasn't for the 4 hour battery life the decision would be easy.

BTW, the salesperson at Best Buy knew details about both Surface models. He said he wanted the Pro.

I own both and honestly, the RT is fine for what 90% of the people use the tablet for. For us that are more power users, it lacks hard.

I gave it to my wife because she only needs it to use Skype for phone calls (we have a land-line plan) and check Facebook, use it as an eReader and web surfing and the like. She LOVES it. We have about 8 android tablets around the house (non-Kindle) and the kids only use their Kindle's. The other Android tablets almost never get used. Her Surface RT is always with her and the kids love it when they are allowed to play on it.

Me, the Surface Pro is what I needed. More because I needed compatibility with classic apps and use it to augment my corporate job (keep me from having to lug a 7 pound laptop around) when I am in meetings and whatnot.

For every device, there is a use case, and people will either fall into one or more of them or none and will go to another device.

I hear everyone making a HUGE fuss over battery life. I can go an entire day+ with regular usage without charging (Pro). My wife on her RT can go about as long too, but she uses hers more. Battery Life Specs should be taken with a grain of salt until you either have one and see what it's like, or read reviews from people that use it the way you do, or close to it.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Keeping my rt. It does all that I need work wise. VPN to remote desktop or remote desktop over https. I use it for work more than fun and have not had and issue. I may be more realistic too... I use my xps13 for anything more powerful. As much as I love the surface, It is no laptop. That is perfectly fine. This is the first tablet where I could leave the laptop back 80% of the time. The laptop cannot be my surface either. When I need one or the other, I have it.

I guess if I did not have my ultrabook or rt, I would get a pro 128gb no doubt. I got the surface rt on launch and the xps13 a little earlier. Not worth selling one or the other. I am content computer wise in my life... Dang, guitars too :).... What do I want now??? Oh yeah, a new has a commuter bike, lol!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077