Anyone switching from RT to Pro?

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I usually go for the upgrade on most devices but I am not sure I will switch from RT to Pro. I am happy with my Surface RT and with a few minor inconveniences it suits my needs for a tablet. I like the increased screen resolution on the Pro and that it can run full windows programs rather than just apps but the trade off with weight, size and battery life concerns me. Of course the expense is a factor too. Anyone else considering a switch?

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't have either but I have decided to go with the RT like you for all the reasons you stated along with the price. I don't want something to replace my computer. I simply want something to handle my basic needs while I'm on the go and the RT will work fine for that. The only reason for getting a Pro is if you are planning to use that as your primary computer or if you are a serious business traveler that needs everything the Pro offers.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I sold my RT on ebay and I'm getting the pro.

The javascript issues bogging down 90% of the web pages I go to, and the inability to use my work's VPN, make it a necessity. I was using my RT as a laptop replacement, not just a media consumption device.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd love a pro version. My laptop is on the way out but i adore my Surface RT. I does "most" things i want it to. A few minor niggles but in sure a few app releases would sort that out. The only 2 things stopping me is the availability and cost. I'd jump at the chance if they came to the UK and i had saved the ?. As far as upgrading from a RT to a PRO, if my laptop dies and someone offers me a decent price for my RT then I'd have to really consider it.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I too sold my RT on ebay. I'll think I'll be purchasing the pro this weekend. However, I'm also tempted by the Acer Iconia w700. It seems to fit my needs more closely, mainly the docking station and better battery life. The reviews of it are mixed, but it seems the main complaint is that the stand/dock is too big to be portable. In my opinion, they are missing the point completely.

My envisioned work flow is a full windows x86 tablet for portable use, and a dock with connected mouse, keyboard, and second monitor for work use. During my Surface RT usage, I noticed that I almost never used the keyboard on the go.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I originally planned on switching but I have found that my RT does almost everything I need with better battery life, and teamviewer does all the rest! :D

StarLog

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought the RT 4weeks ago and returned it 2days later.
Now I have a preorder for the Pro at Bestbuy. Waiting........

HYDR0SH0K

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Bought the RT on day one of release and have been using it since. My money is ready to be taken this Saturday for the Pro. Keeping the RT strictly for taking to college classes to use for notes.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I too sold my RT on ebay. I'll think I'll be purchasing the pro this weekend. However, I'm also tempted by the Acer Iconia w700. It seems to fit my needs more closely, mainly the docking station and better battery life. The reviews of it are mixed, but it seems the main complaint is that the stand/dock is too big to be portable. In my opinion, they are missing the point completely.

My envisioned work flow is a full windows x86 tablet for portable use, and a dock with connected mouse, keyboard, and second monitor for work use. During my Surface RT usage, I noticed that I almost never used the keyboard on the go.

Sounds like you want a Laptop...or something like the Yoga.

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Did a little research on the Acer Iconia w700 and I got to say that it is a very impressive piece of equipment. I just can't find out if it runs on RT or Pro.

cme4oil

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I returned the RT and am getting the PRO. I am not a road warrior so 3-5 hours on battery will be fine for me. I need the ability to run some apps for work while out of the office without worrying or waiting for someone to develop what I need. I think I will be very happy with the PRO but only time will tell.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think the RT is more justified as a tablet. You can get really good, tried and true ultrabooks with more battery life if you want a serious business machine and the touch feels gimmicky for serious work. Also, having handled my Surface RT for around a week now, I think the weight of the Pro would make it cumbersome to use as a tablet. I actually wouldn't mind a tablet a little lighter than even the RT, but currently I won't trade the high-end feel that comes with the weight. But twice this weight? No way.
Also I think 10 inches isn't enough for a laptop replacement.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought the RT on launch day and used it for about a month before I sold it. I found the device sluggish and the native mail application was horrible to use. I liked Office 2013 but without a properly functioning mail client Outlook, the device was useless.

I will be looking at the Pro this weekend and may pick it up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb