I bought my surface pro 64GB just now!

Xiang Li

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I wandered into my local staples in Rhode Island to check out the surface pro. the salesperson said they just got the shipment in earlier today, so i asked if they are selling it.
yes was the answer. however they only have the 64gb inventory(i want the 128gb because 64gb only has 15gb left after the system, i confirmed this myself) but still i was more than happy to open my wallet and made the purchase. no questions asked, apparently the staff has no idea the release date is on 9th.

i couldnt believe this is true either. i guess you can try this yourself at your local staples and if u are like me lucky enough then you prob can get on with one today as well:) good luck

i haven't opened the box yet as it is sitting in my car. I will upload pictures and initial impression later today when i get back.

mclarryjr

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I was at my local Staples yesterday and the manager said they were getting them this Friday so maybe I'll get mine a day early:-!

Congrats on your find.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
half the drive space to get it 2 days early? nope, wouldn't take that deal.

os doesn't take 49gb, it takes like 20, recovery drive takes the rest, and a few gigs for bit conversion.

Xiang Li

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Capture.PNGok so good news the surface pro in store shows only 15 gb left but on mine with office 13 installed I have 28gb left. not that bad afterall. I am typing this with my surface pro. the thing doesn't feel heavy at all surprisingly but runs quite warm on the back. very fast and responsive performance unlike my rt.my rt slows to a crawl for some reason

Xiang Li

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
after using it at a study session with onenote and the Wacom pen, and installing iTunes and office and spotify on it, I am gonna say I am pretty impressed with the hardware so far. the battery lasted me 2 hours when there is 50% charge left, so I say 4 hours is fairly accurate when fully charged under normal uses.and I also found rt charger does work with pro, but presumably a lot slower charging the thing. when awaking the tablet there is a 1 second or so delay unlike arm/atom win 8 tablets but its not a major issue for most users. the thing does get warm if u hold it. the walcom pen feels very very good. 100x better than the one comes with the thinkpad tablet 2. thick, solid and very accurate. I especially like the eraser on top of the pen.
and the kickstand is different from the rt(in a good way). the angle on my rt is too upright, and its very uncomfortable looking at a small screen at a not so optimal angle for a long time. the kickstand on pro pops the surface up at a more leaned back angle and makes all the difference to make it more comfortable to work with. and also the magnetic on bottom of the pro is a lot stronger than RT.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The Tegra 3 on your RT sucks that's why. A 3rd gen i5 is like a 100 times more powerful, literally.

Third generation mobile I5s are actually performance dogs that don't even really match the performance of the second generation I5s. In fact Asus and Toshiba still sell laptops with second generation full I5s that beat the third generation mobiles for both performance and battery life. Regardless of how "powerful" the I5 in a Surface Pro may be, for the directly comparable tasks (Office 2013 and Metro/Modern apps) it brings absolutely nothing to the table. What it offers is the opportunity to run X86 applications (sadly without the storage capacity to load many major ones without running out of space). It also offers battery life that has been surpassed by almost everyone for 5+ years. Sorry but there is occasionally a need for a reality check when people say things like XXXXXX is 100 times more powerful. If it suits one's needs that is great but it and Surface RT are different devices intended for different uses and in that narrow window where they overlap, Surface Pro offers no more functionality and poor battery life....

Xiang Li

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Think Wacom pen. Think that beautiful hd display. Think spotify and iTunes and vlc. No even just regular task like ie browsing pro is just so much faster than Rt. On my Rt when using Facebook even the scrolling lags. Open two word document at the same time is a nightmare: your typing is going to lag. Music app in metro slows to a crawl in every aspect. I beg to differ

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Nice to read your impressions, thanks. Can you share what power profile you are using, any adjustments and how it affects the battery, eg Power saver? Also what are the fans like and how often do they come on? Thanks.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm just trying to find out who will actually have any in stock. I tried calling Best Buy and they said that I could by a $50 gift card to go towards reserving one, but they can't tell me if it'll be in on Saturday. I've called Staples and they are not doing any reservations and will not tell me if they will have any in stock by this Saturday, they told me they cannot give out that information until Saturday morning. I really don't want to drive 40 miles and find out they don't have it in stock and I don't want to call them in the morning on Saturday and find out they've already been sold out. I may end up just driving to one of the stores in hopes they actually get some in stock. I'm looking to buy the 128GB model.

Last edited:

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I ran over to my local Staples during lunch hoping to get one early but no joy :(. They said they weren't getting any of the 128GB versions. Strange.

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I stopped at Best Buy tonight. The guy said they had 64GB's for sale, but did not have any 128GB's. I wonder if there will be a surplus of 64s and a shortage of 128's come Saturday.

NELSON8x

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if Surface Pro is the same as Surface in the sense that it does not come with a Windows 8 DVD. It is backed up on the hard drive and you can copy that back up to usb storage then remove the OS backup on the hard drive for additional space :smile:

I just read this online. I own neither

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Think Wacom pen. Think that beautiful hd display. Think spotify and iTunes and vlc. No even just regular task like ie browsing pro is just so much faster than Rt. On my Rt when using Facebook even the scrolling lags. Open two word document at the same time is a nightmare: your typing is going to lag. Music app in metro slows to a crawl in every aspect. I beg to differ
He just has some lime in his emotion. It is clearly a hybridultra book and yet these people tried to hypnotize themselves and others with some funny ideas.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm just trying to find out who will actually have any in stock. I tried calling Best Buy and they said that I could by a $50 gift card to go towards reserving one, but they can't tell me if it'll be in on Saturday. I've called Staples and they are not doing any reservations and will not tell me if they will have any in stock by this Saturday, they told me they cannot give out that information until Saturday morning. I really don't want to drive 40 miles and find out they don't have it in stock and I don't want to call them in the morning on Saturday and find out they've already been sold out. I may end up just driving to one of the stores in hopes they actually get some in stock. I'm looking to buy the 128GB model.

Unless too many people preordered before you, it should be Saturday.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
How the **** does an OS take up 49 gb?
Staples seems to have a problem with mixing up information on the spec cards between products in the same manufacturer series. In this case they mistakenly used Surface RT drive specs.When I was printer shopping a couple months ago, nearly spec cards for the HP multifunction printers indicated double-sided copying, despite that only one model on the shelf actually had the feature.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
and I also found rt charger does work with pro, but presumably a lot slower charging the thing.
It is probably a good idea to not make a habit of using the RT charger with the Pro. An electronics friend told me using underpowered power supplies with devices slowly fries the innards. They try to compensate for the lesser power, and eventually they can't do it anymore and burn out.

TheOnlySlack

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I wandered into my local staples in Rhode Island to check out the surface pro. the salesperson said they just got the shipment in earlier today, so i asked if they are selling it.
yes was the answer. however they only have the 64gb inventory(i want the 128gb because 64gb only has 15gb left after the system, i confirmed this myself) but still i was more than happy to open my wallet and made the purchase. no questions asked, apparently the staff has no idea the release date is on 9th.

i couldnt believe this is true either. i guess you can try this yourself at your local staples and if u are like me lucky enough then you prob can get on with one today as well:) good luck

i haven't opened the box yet as it is sitting in my car. I will upload pictures and initial impression later today when i get back.

I worked at Staples and Future Shop now, when we received items we were not supposed to sell before a specific date, it would not only state on the box do not sell before "this date" but it would also NOT allow it to be sold in the system. How did you get around that?

I don't think he actually got a pro, it really doesn't sound like it. Also his computer name is "bill_surfacepro" ? His name is Xiang Li, maybe Bill is short for that lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3