Can you install a start button on the tablets?

kbz1960

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have win8 on my lappy and I have installed a start button that completely bypasses the modern UI as I have no use for any of it or it's apps.

As I understand it this is the same win8 that goes on computers so can you install a start button bypass on the tablets also and completely ignore the modern UI?

Thanks

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Uhh, wtf? Yes, you can, but why?

You have no use for the modern UI that is designed specifically for tablets. But you want the Surface Pro which is a tablet!?!?

Have you even tried using Windows 8 on a tablet?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have win8 on my lappy and I have installed a start button that completely bypasses the modern UI as I have no use for any of it or it's apps.

As I understand it this is the same win8 that goes on computers so can you install a start button bypass on the tablets also and completely ignore the modern UI?

Thanks

You already answered your own question.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

Use this for a start button. It is the best one out there for windows 8.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/software/stardock-start8.aspx

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
There are obvious reasons that windows tablet computers have not done very well prior to windows 8, and that is because the interface was designed for keyboard and mouse. Windows 8 Modern UI is designed specifically for touchscreen, and disabling it on the Surface Pro will do the opposite of what Start8 and such were designed for.

njblackberry

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for Start8. Microsoft claims that their instrumentation labs say people weren't using the start button.
I find that some people at work tend to differ. Start8 bridges the gap between the purity of Windows 8 and the reality that people want a start button.

When I start my pilot test of the Surface later this week they will be deployed with no UI customizations. It is a bit of a social experiment to see if the testers - all very experienced users and executives - can use Windows 8 out of the box.

I will be installing Start8 on mine.

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
There are obvious reasons that windows tablet computers have not done very well prior to windows 8, and that is because the interface was designed for keyboard and mouse. Windows 8 Modern UI is designed specifically for touchscreen, and disabling it on the Surface Pro will do the opposite of what Start8 and such were designed for.

Start 8 does not disable it far from it, it gives you the option to switch instantly between desktop mode and metro mode.

Look further into it, i have Windows 8 on my laptop(non touchscreen) and find the program great for this. It us not just a case of it giving you a start menu it is more complex 😉
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Board Express

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Still not understanding the issue with not having the start button. Is this just a muscle memory thing? I find the new UI works perfectly. Can someone explain the need so I get what I'm missing here?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I could see using Start8 on a non-touch device, but all you have to do on the pro is hit the start button at the bottom of the screen and viola, all your programs are there.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I have observed that people who tended to start applications on Vista/7 by typing the appropriate name have far less UI shock with Windows 8, compared to those who tended to wade through the Programs menu. Personally, I have no plans to slap a Start button on my Windows 8 desktop. But if I did I would go for Stardock's Start8. And if you have to switch resolutions often (remoting in, projector, etc.), Fences is an absolute lifesaver for restoring desktop shortcut icon layouts.

njblackberry

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
With respect to a start button.

What is the most efficient way to shut down a Windows 8 laptop (Not pressing the power button)?

With Start8, it is Start / Shutdown.

No charms...

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

What is the most efficient way to shut down a Windows 8 laptop (Not pressing the power button)?

No charms...

Or you could just press the power button or let it go to standby? Do people seriously shut their computers down so often that it needs to be immediately accessible? Can you say over-dramatic?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

No charms...

Lol, so everything else with the start menu takes 15 more clicks to get to on Windows 7, but because the shut down button is one more click away in Windows 8 you need the damn thing back?

I shut down my computer maaaaybe once a week and that is a common pattern which is why MS pushed it back in the UI.