Is the SSD drive user replaceable?

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Odds are no. They probably use memory chips soldered to the mainboard as the primary storage array.

There would be no physical drive to remove and upgrade.

rclifton

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Surface team said no on reddit.

Really?! I have the Acer W700 and while I love it, I do miss the pen from my note 10.1 and was thinking about selling my W700 to pick up a surface pro for the pen input. The SSD in the W700 is replaceable tho and I just assumed the one in the surface would be as well. Really sucks if it isn't and will probably stay with the W700 if that is the case as I plan to order a larger SSD next month.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It is likely mSATA soldered. Even if it is not soldered, good luck getting the thing apart and back together without messing something up.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Really?! I have the Acer W700 and while I love it, I do miss the pen from my note 10.1 and was thinking about selling my W700 to pick up a surface pro for the pen input. The SSD in the W700 is replaceable tho and I just assumed the one in the surface would be as well. Really sucks if it isn't and will probably stay with the W700 if that is the case as I plan to order a larger SSD next month.
I've considered the Acer, but I'm not persuaded by the separate keyboard nor that stand. How did you determine that the SSD is replaceable on the W700, rclifton? Is there a pic or video of the insides anywhere on the web, or Acer indications that the drive is replaceable? The unit is sealed without a screw in sight. Do you plan on going through the screen; that is, by removing the screen? What drive are you considering? Thanks.

rclifton

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've considered the Acer, but I'm not persuaded by the separate keyboard nor that stand. How did you determine that the SSD is replaceable on the W700, rclifton? Is there a pic or video of the insides anywhere on the web, or Acer indications that the drive is replaceable? The unit is sealed without a screw in sight. Do you plan on going through the screen; that is, by removing the screen? What drive are you considering? Thanks.

I've opened my W700 just to see how hard it was going to be. There is also a video here of how to do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WkDrJq5cc8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I was planning on using the 256GB Crucial drive.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
OMG, that's teriffying. I won't be able to sleep. 128 is sure looking adequate tonight.
What kind of battery life are you getting? I saw one review that reported 6.5 to 7 hours. Thanks very much for posting the video.

rclifton

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It's really not that bad, I would say it took me all of 10 minutes to get it apart and that is because I was going slowly so as not to damage the device. Using the proper tools also helps a lot in avoiding damage as well as opening it up quicker. As for battery life I average between 7.5 and close to 9 hours depending on use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills