Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    The Type Cover is AWESOME! I don't understand why any of the reviewers are complaining about these. I haven't tried the touch cover, but the Type is great. One other note, I have no problems with the track pad either. I just went into control panel and clicked the speed up ONE notch, and it works perfectly.

The reviewers out there seem to want this device to fail, but it is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

I agree. I do think that the touch cover would make one more adept at typing though

I really enjoyed the Type Cover from the few minutes I spent with it. It wasn't connected to a Surface but it felt really nice to type on. I have a whole conversation with myself on the Cover just to test it out.
    It was just a test, I'm not completely crazy.
    I agree though, reviewers really want this thing to fail (Type Cover and Surface Pro) and I don't understand why.
    To save Apple of course.

Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts
    Queston - does the Type Cover fold over the back just like the Touch Cover and not register keypresses?

I tried the touch cover, but didn't care for the lack of feedback.

got the type cover, love it, feels just like my existing laptop keyboard. but I will say... if it were lighted lol.

anyway.

to answer the question, yes, somewhere around laying flat the keyboard stops accepting keystrokes.

Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
    I tried the touch cover, but didn't care for the lack of feedback.

got the type cover, love it, feels just like my existing laptop keyboard. but I will say... if it were lighted lol.

anyway.

to answer the question, yes, somewhere around laying flat the keyboard stops accepting keystrokes.
    How much travel do the keys have compared to other laptop keyboards you've used? Probably nothing like a Macbook, those keys have insane amount of travel.

Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    How much travel do the keys have compared to other laptop keyboards you've used? Probably nothing like a Macbook, those keys have insane amount of travel.
    Probably nothing like an IBM Selectic either. That travel amount is awsome, if not insane. Wink.
    X-Box Music Pass Rocks
    Surface: there is no substitute
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)

Id say its around 3/4th of my dell xps... maybe more. Theres no mistaking that the key has been pushed and that you pushed the right key.

Its like... you know when it feels wrong (touch cover felt wrong to me, though maybe Id have gotten used to it).

Type cover doesn't feel wrong, which is the best I can say and all that matters to me anyway.

I had the Touch cover with the RT, and I got that because it was more remarkable technologically, and because I went for max innovation and compactness. Also, I always expected I'd trade up to the Pro and wanted to give the Touch a good test. I'm leaning toward splurging and getting both covers with the Pro because the're both pretty remarkable. I pretty much agree with bauerbach's assessment, although I'd use the word different, rather than wrong. I've tried the Type cover at the Microsoft stores and it is definitely less different, and thus expect it would feel/be better for typing long documents. For anything else, I'd prefer the feel of the Touch, especially for Tablet mode, which I would expect to be in most of the time. Enjoy your Pros in either or both flavors.
    X-Box Music Pass Rocks
    Surface: there is no substitute
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)

Love this type cover. I had a similar Zagg on my original iPad and this one has more room and the keys are more responsive. It feels more natural than the Zagg due to the added space available. I'm really impressed with the type cover and have had no real problems with the track pad either. Both respond as you'd expect. I have no complaints whatsoever.

For me personally, the type cover is pretty much the only option. Having tried the touch cover it seemed like half the key presses didn't register. I do wish the type cover came in more color/style varieties though.

I've got the touch cover, but after playing the with the type cover at the Microsoft store, I definitely want to pick one up. I'm just holding off for now for that future keyboard cover that could include an additional battery. My best guess is it'll be another type-cover, marginally thicker to contain a battery.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I've had both the touch cover with the RT and now the TYPE cover with the PRO, I love the type cover. The response is very good and there is good feedback for key presses. I could also type pretty good on the touch cover, but nowhere near as fast as on the type cover.

Global Posts
    6,382 Global Posts
    So far I'm pretty happy with the type cover, the only issue is how it feels when I fold the cover back use as a tablet (just don't care to feel the buttons) so now I just remove the keyboard.
    Developer

Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Well ive learnt to touch type so i can get the full benefit when i get mine :P

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    the only issue is how it feels when I fold the cover back use as a tablet (just don't care to feel the buttons)
    I felt exactly the same when I tried both in a shop. Pressing keys just feels strange. Made me decide to give the touch cover a go for a few weeks to see if I get used to typing on it.

Global Posts
    2,844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    So far I'm pretty happy with the type cover, the only issue is how it feels when I fold the cover back use as a tablet (just don't care to feel the buttons) so now I just remove the keyboard.
    While you've got it removed you can reattach it backwards so it folds back with the keys facing the back of the Surface.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Thanked by:

I was loving the type cover so much until I used it in class today for the first time. I never noticed it before but apparently it's too noisy to use in a very quiet classroom. Thinking of getting a touch cover now.
    Thanked by:
    Ekon 

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by annchez View Post
    I was loving the type cover so much until I used it in class today for the first time. I never noticed it before but apparently it's too noisy to use in a very quiet classroom. Thinking of getting a touch cover now.
    what do you mean too noisy? Shouldn't be any worse than a normal laptop? Mine is less noisy than my 18x keyboard.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    I got the Type Cover for my RT and love it. The touch cover was okay but I couldn't type as quickly on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    what do you mean too noisy? Shouldn't be any worse than a normal laptop? Mine is less noisy than my 18x keyboard.
    It's very clicky. Honestly I never even noticed it at home. It's probably because my class is super quiet. My previous 2 Toshiba Satellite laptops definitely didn't make that much noise when I used them in class.

I always type very lightly too, barely make any sound. I don't pound on the keys. With the type cover in class it was to the point that I had to type very slowly because I felt like my typing was disrupting the class. I probably could type faster with the touch cover.

Got the type keyboard for Xmas and returned it that day for the touch on my rt. It felt bulky and was thicker than the rt so having the keyboard behind it felt odd. have the touch and love it. No problems, except its prone to getting dirty. Also my touch seems to be comming apart right in the middle front area where the line is. Its definitely harder to type with than the touch but much more portable.

Is the touch still just a tad larger than the pro? The type ends are bendable so it covers the whole screen but when holding with keyboard behind it does not get in the way. Still hunting for a 128 pro
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    I had the touch cover on my RT and sold it with it, but can't decide what to go get for my pro. With my RT I found myself rarely using the touch cover as a keyboard. I mostly used it as a cover and to fold back for stabilization. I guess my only concern is how well the Type cover folds back underneath the device. I keep thinking it would be weird to have the keys laying down though it looks like the surrounding bezel is flush with the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by justinm001 View Post
    Is the touch still just a tad larger than the pro? The type ends are bendable so it covers the whole screen but when holding with keyboard behind it does not get in the way. Still hunting for a 128 pro
    Wat? The type cover is 6mm while the RT is 9.3mm.

Length and height wise the type cover was larger than the rt, just a bit, but enough to make it hard to fold behind and hold since your hands hit the type and not the tablet. It was just bulky and odd feeling. The type keyboard was the same size but the ends were fabric and when holding it wrapped around the tablet so you were holding both at the same time. in the couple hours I had the type it was long enough for my 7 yr old to pull it off and not want it on. the type she doesn't notice. This is big because when she tosses the tablet down, hopefully shell have the type cover overtop of the screen vs the touch not attached and laying somewhere to be lost.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justinm001 View Post
    Length and height wise the type cover was larger than the rt, just a bit, but enough to make it hard to fold behind and hold since your hands hit the type and not the tablet. It was just bulky and odd feeling. The type keyboard was the same size but the ends were fabric and when holding it wrapped around the tablet so you were holding both at the same time. in the couple hours I had the type it was long enough for my 7 yr old to pull it off and not want it on. the type she doesn't notice. This is big because when she tosses the tablet down, hopefully shell have the type cover overtop of the screen vs the touch not attached and laying somewhere to be lost.
    The RT with the type cover folded would only be 15mm...and if you are giving your surface to a small child to use, why would you just not take it off and put it away in a bag/case anyways?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast