Surface Pro is the greatest device EVER!!

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

Try setting your scaling from 150% (default) to 100%. Some programs are known to have this issue in Win8, and MS is working on a fix.

garyjk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
the haswell generation tablets will have better battery life. but, you probably won't see it for probably 7 or 8 months. then, it 8 months after that, something else will be better.at some point you have to make a decision or you'll be waiting forever. and who knows what any of the reviewers do when they state the battery life. they may not do what you or i do and you could actually see better battery life than they report. i could care less what they report. i personally don't know anyone that uses a tablet for 8 hours non-stop, either. in an 8 hour work day, how many hours is somebody really not near an outlet for the entire 8 hours?

Mr.Willie

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
the haswell generation tablets will have better battery life. but, you probably won't see it for probably 7 or 8 months. then, it 8 months after that, something else will be better.at some point you have to make a decision or you'll be waiting forever. and who knows what any of the reviewers do when they state the battery life. they may not do what you or i do and you could actually see better battery life than they report. i could care less what they report. i personally don't know anyone that uses a tablet for 8 hours non-stop, either. in an 8 hour work day, how many hours is somebody really not near an outlet for the entire 8 hours?

International flights.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I go on 15hour flights, half the time I'm sleeping. No where near to 8hrs usage. You're body is tired and so are your eyes. The tablet or laptop is turned off most of the time.

Nope! Not me... that is when i catch up on all my movies that i have missed from the last international flight :grin:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope! Not me... that is when i catch up on all my movies that i have missed from the last international flight :grin:
What airline are you flying that you don't have outlets on an international flight? If you're flying 15 hours you're probably on a 777LR or an A380, both of which have outlets.

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi and thanks, TGH. I had the RT and was able to toggle -somewhere through a Charms bar setting- between extended mode which projected the image to my TV only, and duplicate mode which showed on both the RT and the TV. Can you confirm that both modes are available on the Pro? Disclaimer: I only did this with an HDMI cable and not through a network connection that you are reporting. Thanks again.

For the stream over network functionality to work, the TV must support DLNA. Make sure both devices are connected to the same network. The TV will then appear on the devices section which you can them stream video to.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
What airline are you flying that you don't have outlets on an international flight? If you're flying 15 hours you're probably on a 777LR or an A380, both of which have outlets.

Not all seats have outlets (Delta and AF). Plus i am the proud owner of a 17" laptop, so it is very difficult to get that set up on the dinner tray. Once I get my Pro/Kupa, then my flights might start to get more productive.

Mr.Willie

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Man I really want to snag one! Heck, I'd even settle for an RT. The iPad just isn't doing it for me any longer.

What is it that the iPad isn't doing for you ? iPad does a lot more than most people give it credit for. My major complaint is that it needs 'Big Boy ' Excel. Numbers for the iPad has gotten better, but it's still a long way off. Heck, I would even settle for the RT version of Excel.

How did you do the wireless streaming? Fyi, I'm writing this response with the pen!

So when you write it by hand, it converts it to typed text ? If so, how accurate is it ?

Is there any point to Windows RT?

Yes, someone that wants to suppliment there laptop or desktop, or those that don't need or want a full bore system. Remember, even though the Surface Pro should run your desktop apps and the OS was designed for touch, it doesn't mean the desktop app was designed for touch. Surface RT apps should be designed from the get go as touch apps. Then again, YMMV.

Not all seats. :(

I go on 15hour flights, half the time I'm sleeping. No where near to 8hrs usage. You're body is tired and so are your eyes. The tablet or laptop is turned off most of the time.

Yep, I quit drinking coffee, stay up all night, ect. But sleep time still depends on your time of flight, seat, and the behaviors and body sizes of the other passengers. If you're sitting in an aisle seat, it's harder to sleep with someone bumping you every 30 to 60 seconds because they don't understand how to walk down an aisle.

Question to those that own one, is it a dual or quad core i5 ? How does the performance compare to a relatively new Latitude with a quad core i5 ? I also see it mentions a USB 3.0 port. Is it only one ? I am required to use a USB license key and another USB interface cable.

Po_MD

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
What is it that the iPad isn't doing for you ? iPad does a lot more than most people give it credit for. My major complaint is that it needs 'Big Boy ' Excel. Numbers for the iPad has gotten better, but it's still a long way off. Heck, I would even settle for the RT version of Excel. So when you write it by hand, it converts it to typed text ? If so, how accurate is it ? Yes, someone that wants to suppliment there laptop or desktop, or those that don't need or want a full bore system. Remember, even though the Surface Pro should run your desktop apps and the OS was designed for touch, it doesn't mean the desktop app was designed for touch. Surface RT apps should be designed from the get go as touch apps. Then again, YMMV. Not all seats. :( Yep, I quit drinking coffee, stay up all night, ect. But sleep time still depends on your time of flight, seat, and the behaviors and body sizes of the other passengers. If you're sitting in an aisle seat, it's harder to sleep with someone bumping you every 30 to 60 seconds because they don't understand how to walk down an aisle.Question to those that own one, is it a dual or quad core i5 ? How does the performance compare to a relatively new Latitude with a quad core i5 ? I also see it mentions a USB 3.0 port. Is it only one ? I am required to use a USB license key and another USB interface cable.
its a dual core i5, one USB 3.0 and as for the comparison, I haven't a clue

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
@Mr. Willie: When you write with the pen into the pen board (keyboard option), it converts it to type. It works with script or cursive. It is EXTREMELY accurate! I have horrible hand writing, and it only misses when I miss, and sometimes it corrects my mistakes for me. FYI, you can just strike through to erase.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
First Class always has power. Plus, if you're awake for 8 hours on a flight you're doing it wrong.

Wrong!

Us little folk can't afford First Class International Flights, and not everyone can sleep sitting up. So it is not about "doing it wrong", it is just about how everyone is different - sort of like smartphone OS users.

mattcald

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I was disturbed by the battery life on the Pro, but when I realized that the Pro could replace my laptop. I don't get but 2-3 hours of battery life on my laptop, so 4-5 hours is much better. If I am at my desk, It will probably be plugged in anyway..

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm psyched for you all I'm glad you guys are having great times with your purchases. My buddy just got the pro yesterday and is loving that he can run minecraft on it and doesn't need a Bluetooth dongle and can use his Xbox controller to play :) btw his laptop and Bluetooth dongle belong to me now and we can both play minecraft together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb