Not as easy as it looks

RSB54

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
MS is new to the computer manufacturing business and clearly has a lot to learn. Putting together a complete supply chain is a huge effort - component procurement, production, logistics, and of course supply-demand planning. I think a big part of the complaints of late reflect their "growing pains".

PS - I'm also wary of how they handle service/support side, they won't get any slack there either.

ryzama

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
They definitely aren't "new" as they have sold huge numbers of Xbox and Xbox 360 units, which would make the Surface numbers look pitiful. The molding process for their VaporMag is something that had to be invented. In fact there was no manufacturer that could even do it, and MS had to invest in one. That complex process of production probably has its own unique challenges. Judging demand and not over stocking or under stocking is difficult to do, for any company. Let alone most devices rely on outside companies that build each component, such as RAM, CPU, Touch Screens etc. Any one of those factors could have an effect, something that could be completely out of MS control.

So yes the low levels of stock are frustrating, but it isn't cut and dry like you may think. Even Apple with their huge production investment, buying power, and most likely having a higher priority on components due to volume, can experience problems with stock levels.

And with first hand experience, their service/support has been on par with the industry, as I have had to replace my Surface RT and Touch cover each once. Had no issues doing that and the people were friendly and responsive.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Im wondering if anyone here has every attempted to buy an iphone or ipad on launch day lol.

In any case, its difficult to match capacity with demand at the beginning, you cant setup some massive production line to build out a million of these things, then have it run at idle for a fraction of that demand after the launch.

You could just build it up and stockpile them... same total devices would exist by march 1st... just a matter of trickling them out over 3 weeks, or making everyone wait...

but then you have marketing, where selling out indicates demand and stimulates demand. units sitting unsold on release day is not a good thing.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The manufacturing process for making a Surface RT/Pro is an order of magnitude more complex compared to an XBox 360, mice, keyboards. The VaporMg thing alone makes things a lot more difficult.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft knows exactly what it is doing: I'm already seeing "sold out within hours" press reports -not bad-logistics summations.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
It only works if they can ramp up production big time in the next week. Otherwise people will get pissed.

pissed maybe, but they still want it.

wii was sold out for like 6 months... even though it was a paperweight after ike 8 hours for 75% of the users. Even I got sucked in... if its THAT hard to get! I MUST HAVE IT!!!! WHY CANT I FIND IT!!!!!

If you want a surface, there is no substitute, if you want something else... Microsoft is gonna get theirs on that too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077