Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Developer

I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

wp_20130210_003.jpg
    Talderon

Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
    Network: AT&T (LTE)

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Talderon View Post
    I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).
    Try setting your scaling down to 100% and see if that corrects the offset.

I have Fruit Ninja, Skulls of the Shogun, and Civ V on mine. Civ V also has issues with the scaling. What is odd is, it works fine with the mouse when the scaling is at 150%, but the touch is off. Set it down to 100% and everything works perfectly. I love the touch functionality in Civ V.

I have also been running PPT 2013 and CS6 on it, and it flies. Not as fast as my Alienware 18x (not even close), but faster than the 11x with an i7 (sandybridge) and nVidia GPU.
    How is minecraft on it?
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    Try setting your scaling down to 100% and see if that corrects the offset.

I have Fruit Ninja, Skulls of the Shogun, and Civ V on mine. Civ V also has issues with the scaling. What is odd is, it works fine with the mouse when the scaling is at 150%, but the touch is off. Set it down to 100% and everything works perfectly. I love the touch functionality in Civ V.

I have also been running PPT 2013 and CS6 on it, and it flies. Not as fast as my Alienware 18x (not even close), but faster than the 11x with an i7 (sandybridge) and nVidia GPU.
    Thanks man, but where is the scaling set at?

Thanks!
    Talderon

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    How is minecraft on it?
    I was wondering the same thing. I tried to run it on the Pro at BB but it wouldnt let me install java.
    Paul May likes this.

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    In desktop, right click on the screen, go to Personalize, Display. It is the percentage at the top. It should have "Larger 150%" selected, choose 100%. You will have to log out to apply...something else they are working on.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Didn't Notch say he wasn't gonna develop Minecraft for Windows 8?
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by failed1234 View Post
    Didn't Notch say he wasn't gonna develop Minecraft for Windows 8?
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
    He said he is not going to design a Modern UI version, the desktop version will work on Windows 8. Seen it running plenty of times on Windows 8. I can't give first hand as I don't play it. :p
    Talderon

Developer

Ok, with the scaling issue resolved (thanks pdch), I installed Path of Exile and after some tweaking, was able to get it to run pretty good. Very Playable. :D

I discovered that with scaling at 100%, the desktop mode was quite a bit harder to use with touch, so I am back to 150%, however, it is easy enough to switch down when you want to play a game.

Next item (when I get home) is to hook up my wireless 360 controller to the Pro!!
    Last edited by Talderon; 02-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    Talderon

I installed Counter-Strike:Global Offensive on mine

I’m working on a comparison between it and the Series 7 Slate right now. Once that’s done I’ll put a few more games on to play around with. I didn’t expect it to run games as well as it does!
    Thanked by:
    rkeenan, Great deal and Talderon like this.

I got borderlands 2 running on my pro. On lowest, the game is playable, but gets choppy. Definitely not the best at playing the newest graphically intensive games, but works pretty damn well for a laptop in a tablet's body.

Global Posts
    4,449 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    Ok, with the scaling issue resolved (thanks pdch), I installed Path of Exile and after some tweaking, was able to get it to run pretty good. Very Playable. :D

I discovered that with scaling at 100%, the desktop mode was quite a bit harder to use with touch, so I am back to 150%, however, it is easy enough to switch down when you want to play a game.

Next item (when I get home) is to hook up my wireless 360 controller to the Pro!!
    I read a review somewhere that stated the wireless controller with the USB dongle won't work, but a wired USB 360 controller will.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I read a review somewhere that stated the wireless controller with the USB dongle won't work, but a wired USB 360 controller will.
    I'll report back. There should be no reason it will not work as it works with my Windows 8 PC without a hitch. Being this is Windows Pro as well, should be just install drivers and go. It would be messed up if it was crippled.
    Talderon

Global Posts
    4,449 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    I'll report back. There should be no reason it will not work as it works with my Windows 8 PC without a hitch. Being this is Windows Pro as well, should be just install drivers and go. It would be messed up if it was crippled.
    You might be right, they may have been talking about the RT.
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Meme 8 Ball (WP8), UnClocked (WP8.1 - Themed Live Tile Clock)

Someone see if it runs Battlefield 3 for s&g

I have the surface rt and my wireless Xbox controller works just fine with games that support the controller. I just had to add the device manually. I have a cheapo receiver I got from ebay as well. But it works very well.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    It works fine with RT, so why wouldn't it with Pro?
    unstoppablekem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Ritsick View Post
    Someone see if it runs Battlefield 3 for s&g
    I'll install BF3 today and let you know how it goes.

Looks like there's a problem with Origin on Surface Pro. I installed it and it seems to think that I'm running in a VM. Other's have already reported the same issue to EA: EA Forums So, no BF3 until that gets sorted out.
    Thanked by:
    gedzum 
    Developer

Nice tip from a poster at XDA:

Don't bother with changing the desktop scaling to 100% if you don't want to. Just right click on the shortcut, go to compatibility, and check "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" for each game that you need 100% scaling for.
    Talderon

Thanked by:
    jpw21683 likes this.

Not true...at least on mine. What I liked about the wireless MS 360 controller was that it works with games from the MS Store. I tested with Reckless Racing Ultimate, Skulls Of The Shogun, & Hockey Nations Powerplay. The cool thing is, when I unplugged the 360 controller, it went back to onscreen controls and if I plugged it back in, the 360 controller took back over.

And in desktop mode...it works just fine also.
    Talderon likes this.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Just tried Minecraft on it last night, and it works great (fancy graphics, far distance) as long as you're using the keyboard/trackpad or mouse - couldn't get the touch controls to work, but then I'm not sure what to expect from touch on full Minecraft, not an iOS app...

Anyway, will play with it some more today.
    ---
    Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy sh1t, what a ride!'

It's minecraft. I'd be concerned if the touch controls actually worked so soon after putting them in.

I play minecraft all the time on it. works great, I get around 30fps, I decrease graphics to fast because no need to chew up the battery or heat the unit like that.

It does get warm, but that's it.

if you touch the screen it takes it as both a directional command (you pan around in the direction that you touch with speed corresponding to how far from the center you touched), and you also get a solid left click, so you start digging, mining, whatever you have in your hand. Soooo not very functional.

you cant play it on a type cover, the keys and trackpad don't work at the same time, so no way to move and turn. With a mouse its fine.

Glad to see Minecraft working though after all the other games I've read the device is playing, Minecraft should be easy enough! Just playing Vanilla Minecraft or did you guys install Optifine which is meant to increase FPS and such?

Also the Touch Controls for Minecraft are purely for the inventory mode right now so you can drag items around to chests, furnaces etc! Works fine on my iPad when I remote Desktop to my PC via Splashtop.

Glad to see this device playing so many games... Once I finally see some where in NZ selling them I might just have to pick one up!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast