Surface Pro for Gaming - What have you installed? Issues?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

WP_20130210_003.jpg

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I posted this response to another thread, but thought this deserved it's own thread:

I just installed Guild Wars 2 on mine. This is a VERY viable gaming rig!!

Only issue I found was that when you have a menu up (press esc) and use the mouse to click on it, it does not register the mouse click. Also, you have to use keyboard controls to select another character other then your last played (if you want too) and hit enter to play, clicking the Play button does not register the mouse. Seems more like a calibration issue with the game and the mouse (this is using hardware mouse FYI).

Try setting your scaling down to 100% and see if that corrects the offset.

I have Fruit Ninja, Skulls of the Shogun, and Civ V on mine. Civ V also has issues with the scaling. What is odd is, it works fine with the mouse when the scaling is at 150%, but the touch is off. Set it down to 100% and everything works perfectly. I love the touch functionality in Civ V.

I have also been running PPT 2013 and CS6 on it, and it flies. Not as fast as my Alienware 18x (not even close), but faster than the 11x with an i7 (sandybridge) and nVidia GPU.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Try setting your scaling down to 100% and see if that corrects the offset.

I have Fruit Ninja, Skulls of the Shogun, and Civ V on mine. Civ V also has issues with the scaling. What is odd is, it works fine with the mouse when the scaling is at 150%, but the touch is off. Set it down to 100% and everything works perfectly. I love the touch functionality in Civ V.

I have also been running PPT 2013 and CS6 on it, and it flies. Not as fast as my Alienware 18x (not even close), but faster than the 11x with an i7 (sandybridge) and nVidia GPU.

Thanks man, but where is the scaling set at?

Thanks!

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
In desktop, right click on the screen, go to Personalize, Display. It is the percentage at the top. It should have "Larger 150%" selected, choose 100%. You will have to log out to apply...something else they are working on.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Didn't Notch say he wasn't gonna develop Minecraft for Windows 8?
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

He said he is not going to design a Modern UI version, the desktop version will work on Windows 8. Seen it running plenty of times on Windows 8. I can't give first hand as I don't play it. :p

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, with the scaling issue resolved (thanks pdch), I installed Path of Exile and after some tweaking, was able to get it to run pretty good. Very Playable. :D

I discovered that with scaling at 100%, the desktop mode was quite a bit harder to use with touch, so I am back to 150%, however, it is easy enough to switch down when you want to play a game.

Next item (when I get home) is to hook up my wireless 360 controller to the Pro!!

Last edited:

zhuz

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I got borderlands 2 running on my pro. On lowest, the game is playable, but gets choppy. Definitely not the best at playing the newest graphically intensive games, but works pretty damn well for a laptop in a tablet's body.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, with the scaling issue resolved (thanks pdch), I installed Path of Exile and after some tweaking, was able to get it to run pretty good. Very Playable. :D

I discovered that with scaling at 100%, the desktop mode was quite a bit harder to use with touch, so I am back to 150%, however, it is easy enough to switch down when you want to play a game.

Next item (when I get home) is to hook up my wireless 360 controller to the Pro!!

I read a review somewhere that stated the wireless controller with the USB dongle won't work, but a wired USB 360 controller will.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I read a review somewhere that stated the wireless controller with the USB dongle won't work, but a wired USB 360 controller will.

I'll report back. There should be no reason it will not work as it works with my Windows 8 PC without a hitch. Being this is Windows Pro as well, should be just install drivers and go. It would be messed up if it was crippled.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll report back. There should be no reason it will not work as it works with my Windows 8 PC without a hitch. Being this is Windows Pro as well, should be just install drivers and go. It would be messed up if it was crippled.

You might be right, they may have been talking about the RT.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the surface rt and my wireless Xbox controller works just fine with games that support the controller. I just had to add the device manually. I have a cheapo receiver I got from ebay as well. But it works very well.

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Looks like there's a problem with Origin on Surface Pro. I installed it and it seems to think that I'm running in a VM. Other's have already reported the same issue to EA: EA Forums So, no BF3 until that gets sorted out.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nice tip from a poster at XDA:

Don't bother with changing the desktop scaling to 100% if you don't want to. Just right click on the shortcut, go to compatibility, and check "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" for each game that you need 100% scaling for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism