Domain Ready?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Our CEO is interested in one since is pulling double duty as county judge too...wants to replace his main PC with this...(it is a 6 year old Dell Laptop)...he isn't tech savvy and I think this COULD work for him but here's the problem...How do you connect this to a domain if it doesn't have a NIC and we have Wi-Fi that doesn't allow domain access? Is VPN the only option?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Around $30 on amazon for a 10/100/1000 USB to Ethernet. Once on the domain, you can just put it away unless you need it again sometime.

This is the one I have: Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88178 Chipset): Computers & Accessories

Excellent tips everyone...I knew they had those but wasn't totally sure how well they worked...I'll have to get him a type pad and a Bluetooth mouse perhaps if we get one. He told me to order one but still waiting on the 128GB. Even with moving the recovery off to USB drive, I don't think the 64GB model will be very roomy, especially since apps cannot be installed on the Micro SD card.

He currently has the Surface RT but it just doesn't do enough for him...Skydrive is painfully slow in opening files and he loves Outlook...

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Excellent tips everyone...I knew they had those but wasn't totally sure how well they worked...I'll have to get him a type pad and a Bluetooth mouse perhaps if we get one. He told me to order one but still waiting on the 128GB. Even with moving the recovery off to USB drive, I don't think the 64GB model will be very roomy, especially since apps cannot be installed on the Micro SD card.

He currently has the Surface RT but it just doesn't do enough for him...Skydrive is painfully slow in opening files and he loves Outlook...

You will be happy to hear that the Pro is MUCH faster, not just the processor, but the SSD. The RT uses NAND like phones do and it can be fast, but on the RT, not really. The SSD in the Pro really makes it an "instant" device. I love mine and hope it works out for ya!

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
You will be happy to hear that the Pro is MUCH faster, not just the processor, but the SSD. The RT uses NAND like phones do and it can be fast, but on the RT, not really. The SSD in the Pro really makes it an "instant" device. I love mine and hope it works out for ya!

Awesome...I think he was unhappy with the Surface RT so perhaps this will fit the bill. I can easily go down to Best Buy and get the 64GB model but it is worth waiting for the 128. :)

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Awesome...I think he was unhappy with the Surface RT so perhaps this will fit the bill. I can easily go down to Best Buy and get the 64GB model but it is worth waiting for the 128. :)

I would wait for the 128, especially if you are going to load Apps and Data.

Keep in mind that you can uninstall stock apps. For me it's Travel, Sports, Finance, Maps and the pre-installed Office (trail for online version (200mb)).

If you backup and remove the recovery, that is another 8GB (need an 8GB USB Drive).

I got mine up to almost 100GB free which is nice room for full Office and a few other apps and data. :D

Hope all this helps!!

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What did you delete to get almost 100 GB free?

BTW: Real MAN uses (ethernet) cable. :cool:

Sports
Travel
Maps
Finance
Office Demo
Recovery Partition

That put me just over 99.6GB free

Then I put Office Pro Plus on it and a few other modern UI apps (Amazon, Netflix and some others) and am down to 92GB free still.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12