surface pro static noise

Xiang Li

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
my 64gb surface pro has a static noise that is very quiet, can only be heard in a quiet room. its high pitched and constant when powered on. though its very minimal but the noise like this really starts to annoy me. its not the fan noise and is not affected by what I do on my surface. sounds like electric current noise.

did anyone notice the same issue?

Xiang Li

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I was using my RT earlier today and it is absolutely silent while running! then I turned on my pro, there it is. that not very loud but definitely audible electric current noise!

zhuz

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Mine has the same high pitch noise you're talking about
I'm guessing it's emitted by the fan
I wouldn't worry too much about it

Knutsi

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I have this problem too. Any luck in reducing this sound? It is quite disturbing to me, when using it to study ):

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Its like living next to an airport. One would think you'd eventually get use to it to a point you don't hear it anymore.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Does it go away when you turn off the Bluetooth? I had a laptop that was doing the same thing and it went away when turning Bluetooth off.

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine has it too, got it exchanged at first... the new one has it aswell. I can't ignore it. :( This saddens me. Alot! Don't know what to say to MS.

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Nothing on a 128Gb version, the only time I hear noise is if it's doing a lot of processing and the fans kick in other than that nothing.

lesfalangie

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Nothing on a 128Gb version
Well, I have the 4300U 128GB version and it has this static/white noise in the background.
I feel like people should pay attention to this audio issue, which pertains to so many tablets/laptops. What's the point of having grade-A earbuds when you have this white noise in the background that spoils clarity of any sound?

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have the 4300U 128GB version and it has this static/white noise in the background.
I feel like people should pay attention to this audio issue, which pertains to so many tablets/laptops. What's the point of having grade-A earbuds when you have this white noise in the background that spoils clarity of any sound?

I assume this is the Surface Pro 2? My comment was about the first gen device ;)

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've not noticed this on mine. I have pretty sensitive hearing even in high ranges. I'll see if I can hear it. Though my house is RARELY quiet with 2 young boys, 2 cats and a greyhound running around.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have an original Surface Pro 128 GB and I hear this noise too. It's easy for me to ignore it, but I do hear it if I put my ear really close to the corner with the power button. If you turn it a little you'll notice there's a flashing orange light near that corner (visible though the vents) which I am very sure is the NIC card. So I'm guessing the NIC card is causing this, either that or hardware related to communication signals. I've noticed this same noise when I put my ear close to a wireless router.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah same for me on my Surface pro 1 - 128gb

I also noticed that the noise could be a little crazy when browsing the web. Depending on the website I'm on, the noise can really really be annoying and once again, not a good sign towards the durability of the device. Even my girlfriend that doesn't really pays attention to these details heard it and told it to me...

I'm repeating myself but as much as I love my surface pro, I still have a lot of concerns regarding its build quality.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I never hear it, even when its deathly quiet. Sometimes I hear it when the surface runs out of battery. Occasionally I'll hear the fan but not too often.

asdasdasdasdwwqwe

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Does the noise start when the display turns off?

if yes, Surface Pro 2 128GB has the exact same problem.

People generally have damaged hearings and can't hear these high frequencies, or they don't care about the noise. MS certainly doesn't care to fix this problem, same as the display brightness flickering that exists in Surface 1 & 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes