Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    You can use it towards a purchase of a type/touch cover. Not bad!

Pre Order Surface Pro 64gb and get $100 GC @microsoftstore.com - Slickdeals.net

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    reeks of desperation

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post
    reeks of desperation
    I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're an Android fan. Can you please explain why almost all Android devices go on sale a few weeks after they get introduced? Do Android devices "reek" of desperation as well?

When Google sells nexus devices for near cost, do they "reek of desperation"? Or do they make money other ways?

Source: I own Android devices that have all been purchased at some sort of discount.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Basically they are trying to keep people from only buying 128gb devices because they probably under-manufactured them.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sravanv View Post
    I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're an Android fan. Can you please explain why almost all Android devices go on sale a few weeks after they get introduced? Do Android devices "reek" of desperation as well?

When Google sells nexus devices for near cost, do they "reek of desperation"? Or do they make money other ways?

Source: I own Android devices that have all been purchased at some sort of discount.
    I am an android fan but I want a windows 8 tablet (right now leaning towards the helix, but if i was to run into a 128gb surface I might get it)

When I say it "reeks of desperation" I don't mean that the surface pro as a product is a failure
    just the 64gb model at its current price point
    Developer

I am an android fan but I want a windows 8 tablet (right now leaning towards the helix, but if i was to run into a 128gb surface I might get it)

When I say it "reeks of desperation" I don't mean that the surface pro as a product is a failure
    just the 64gb model at its current price point
    I can see your point. When you are talking a $100 price difference with double the storage on the line, it almost asks you "Why bother with a 64GB??"

I think the 64GB Pro should have come in lower. For me, the extra $100 was a no brainer. Looking back, I'm glad I did it and got the 128GB.
    Talderon

Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
    Network: AT&T (LTE)

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Talderon View Post
    I can see your point. When you are talking a $100 price difference with double the storage on the line, it almost asks you "Why bother with a 64GB??"

I think the 64GB Pro should have come in lower. For me, the extra $100 was a no brainer. Looking back, I'm glad I did it and got the 128GB.
    I think with the Windows OS storage issues (even without recovery partition) the 64GB pro is just worthless to most people. I mean, they are billing this is a laptop-replacement that has 30GB of storage space. That's a "no compromise experience"? No way.

The 64GB model just seems to have been completely poorly thought out--even if it was a LOT cheaper than the 128. I am leaning towards getting one of these things (whenever they might actually be available for purchase) but I'd never even consider buying the 64. I think I've only seen 1 or two people who have posted on this site who even bought a 64 out of all the people who managed to snag one...
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInSD View Post
    I think with the Windows OS storage issues (even without recovery partition) the 64GB pro is just worthless to most people. I mean, they are billing this is a laptop-replacement that has 30GB of storage space. That's a "no compromise experience"? No way.

The 64GB model just seems to have been completely poorly thought out--even if it was a LOT cheaper than the 128. I am leaning towards getting one of these things (whenever they might actually be available for purchase) but I'd never even consider buying the 64. I think I've only seen 1 or two people who have posted on this site who even bought a 64 out of all the people who managed to snag one...
    I agree. When I told my wife I wanted one and they released pricing information, even SHE (who is not a gadget geek like I am) looked at the 64GB (at $100 less than the 129GB) as pointless.
    Talderon

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    the 64gb model is completely useless, not fully thought through and is tarnishing the product as a whole

there is no actual shortage of the 128gb model, rather, microsoft has created an artificial shortage in order to shift buyers down to the more readily available (and likely more profitable) 64gb model

I was thinking of getting the 64GB and just adding a microsdxc card (64g).

Can anyone tell me if this is practically the same as buying the 128GB? Or am I missing something ?
    I figured the micro card can be bought for ~$45-50

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyking View Post

Can anyone tell me if this is practically the same as buying the 128GB? Or am I missing something ?
    Full OS, don't see this as a bad option because of that.

If there are people who are willing to buy 64gb MacBook airs, then there should be a place for a 64gb surface, no? Especially when surface has a microsdxc expansion slot which MacBook air does not.
    I don't get what everyone is complaining about saying that there's absolutely no market for the 64gb.

I feel like there's too much negativity brought on by the media, and people are just echoing what they're reading in reviews.
    Ekon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zhuz View Post
    If there are people who are willing to buy 64gb MacBook airs, then there should be a place for a 64gb surface, no? Especially when surface has a microsdxc expansion slot which MacBook air does not.I don't get what everyone is complaining about saying that there's absolutely no market for the 64gb.I feel like there's too much negativity brought on by the media, and people are just echoing what they're reading in reviews.
    Me too I'm not really sure why it's useless?With the micro slot available wouldn't it be better to save $50 and get the card? Also sky drive is available to use for a lot of documents, pics, videos.

Me too I'm not really sure why it's useless?With the micro slot available wouldn't it be better to save $50 and get the card? Also sky drive is available to use for a lot of documents, pics, videos.
    In my opinion if you think you will be using all 128gb, then it's better to buy the 128gb model, with an option to expand using microsd in the future, instead of getting the 64gb + 64gb microsd. You should always leave yourself some breathing room.
    However, if you really think 64gb is enough, then that's the one you should get, and have the option to always expand in the future. Up to you though.

It's also important to note that the extra 64gb in ssd space will be much much faster than the 64gb on microsd.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts

run a speed test on an ssd
    ...then run one on a microsd card

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zhuz View Post
    If there are people who are willing to buy 64gb MacBook airs, then there should be a place for a 64gb surface, no? Especially when surface has a microsdxc expansion slot which MacBook air does not.
    I don't get what everyone is complaining about saying that there's absolutely no market for the 64gb.

I feel like there's too much negativity brought on by the media, and people are just echoing what they're reading in reviews.
    Well a couple of days after launch it went on sale for $100 off so it doesn't seem that MSFT sees in their sales numbers a huge market for it either. What if I need to install more than 30GB of software on my Surface? Can I run Office (non 365) off my SD card? Will it be fast? What if I remove the card? Can I point iTunes to find my music library on the SD card vs the "C" drive?

This all may be easy and there are plenty of work-arounds. But for non-tech people who simply want technology that works I know that my life will simply be easier if I have the 128GB model and I won't have to worry about all of those questions. And that's worth $100 to me.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    From what I understand, the gift card does NOT apply to the Surface Tablets. I took a 64gb unit all the way to checkout and no card shows up either..

Quote Originally Posted by cme4oil View Post
    From what I understand, the gift card does NOT apply to the Surface Tablets. I took a 64gb unit all the way to checkout and no card shows up either..
    The offer has expired. I saw it there yesterday.

I got the 100$ card when I ordered a 64GB surface a couple of days ago. I'm going to use it to buy a type cover. The coupon is good 7 days after shipment.

And I've had a Win7 Tablet for over 2 years that has a 64GB SSD in it and I still have 40GB free so I'm not sure what the big deal about 64GB not being enough. I'm not going to put actual large media on it when I can just stream it to the device through WIFI and DLNA and even with slower speeds a 64GB SD card will suffice if I really need more space.

Practically, yes; that's why the 128 is only $100 more. Just keep in mind that unusable space on the 64 is proportionally greater, and this is what makes the 128 a better buy for many. But, if 30-38 of built-in memory, plus up-to 64GBs is plenty for your storage needs, applying the $100 to a keyboard may be the better buy for you. Most people have much more strorage then they use.
    X-Box Music Pass Rocks
    Surface: there is no substitute
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)

Global Posts
    587 Global Posts

I've heard many say that you can't install apps on the card.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
    And I've had a Win7 Tablet for over 2 years that has a 64GB SSD in it and I still have 40GB free so I'm not sure what the big deal about 64GB not being enough.
    Because with Win 8 Pro you have nowhere near 40GB free. You have less than 30GB. BEFORE you install any of your own crap.
    Developer

I never said there was no market for it, I just stated that to me, it's pointless. BUT, I do agree with you that there IS a market for them. I just wish there was a way to make it lighter. The issue I have with the OS drive space usage is (and this is not including the recovery partition), WHY does the OS install on these devices take up SO MUCH space? You can do a plain virgin install and it only takes a few GB, not 20...

Has anyone dared to wipe and re-load the OS fresh? I'm tempted too, but need to make sure I know where the drivers are.
    Talderon

Global Posts
    923 Global Posts
    reeks of desperation
    Actually, it reeks of a system error since the deal was explicitly identified as not applying to any Surface models (RT or Pro). It "expired" because they fixed the checkout error on their end.
    kittengirl likes this.

I just got charged $100 for my "free" gift card. MS -WTF ...Was going to give my wife the 64gb for her birthday as I picked up a 128gb SRFC at Best Buy Saturday. Now I'll be sending both my 64gb unit and my "NOT SO FREE" free gift card back to MS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast