Surface Pro ranked 1 in Worst Battery Life-Guzzling Gadgets

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
1. Microsoft Surface Pro ($899)Battery Life: 4:37
Cost Per Hour of Juice: $199 per hour

You know it's a bad sign when the top tech story in Google News is that you might be offering an external battery for your product. Despite its Core i5 power and the ability to run both desktop and Windows Store apps, we don't recommend the Surface Pro because its 4 hours and 37 minutes of battery life completely undermines its portability. The average ultraportable laptop lasts about an hour and a half longer. And while the iPad isn't as versatile, it lasted 12 hours and 22 minutes on our battery test. That's 2.5X the endurance. If you opted for the $799, 128GB iPad, that works out to $64 an hour of juice, compared to $199 per hour for the Surface Pro.

7 Worst Battery Life-Guzzling Gadgets - Yahoo! News

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It makes no sense to compare Surface Pro to iPad.

Surface RT/iPad comparison would make sense, as would Surface Pro/MacBook Air.

ChrisInSD

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The whole premise is ridiculous. "Cost per hour of battery life." I mean WTH is that? Some sort of metric like Star ratings in crash tests on your car? So stupid.

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Dude, don't buy the Pro. It's not for you. If you absolutely need more than 5 hours of battery life, then stick with your ipad or android. Or the RT. Go off to your happy place and be content with your mobile device. For me, and other Pro owners, it is exactly what we want and we like having a computer at our fingertips vs using a toy like ipad or android. It's all a matter or needs. You need more than hours battery life otherwise the Pro would be perfect. Ok, good for you. "Move along, these aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along."

anilraj

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My favorite is the cost per hour of juice: $199 / hr.
What he did is: $899 / 4hr37min.

Amazing.
What that means is that once it is fully discharged, he throws away the device.

Assuming iPad is 2.5X better, its cost per hour of "juice" is: $80 / hr.

That means, in a 10hr flight, you would have spent $800 worth the "juice".
On an average day, a person will use it for 2 hrs.
(( I put a lower number because that person would be using his / her laptop for all the real job. ))
So, 2 hours = $160 juice

In an year, $160 x 365 = $58400.
Wow!!
According to the author of that crappy page, he claims, by using iPad you are spening $58400 worth of "juice".

BTW, I really liked his usage of "juice".

IgorP25

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
@ny_yankees. I hate you for bringing this to my attention, when I could very well have gone my whole life without reading such a stupid article.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
This might be the dumbest most arbitrary attempt at bashing a Microsoft product yet. I'm surprised he didn't also compare it to the battery life of the original gameboy.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It makes no sense to compare Surface Pro to iPad.

Surface RT/iPad comparison would make sense, as would Surface Pro/MacBook Air.

No, it makes no sense to compare Pro to a MacBook Air. The MBA is a laptop and the Pro is a tablet. It is not even a hybrid unless you stretch that definition. The battery life is what it is and the device is a tablet. Surface Pro's battery life harkens back to the early days of Android tablets and that is really bad. A mobile device that cannot make it to five hours is not a mobile device for many of us. It is a desktop device with a silly form factor that I can take to a coffee shop and not much else. If they could not address the battery life, they should have withheld the release until they had an answer. Releasing a tablet with the battery life of a five year old laptop is just stupid.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
No, it makes no sense to compare Pro to a MacBook Air. The MBA is a laptop and the Pro is a tablet. It is not even a hybrid unless you stretch that definition. The battery life is what it is and the device is a tablet. Surface Pro's battery life harkens back to the early days of Android tablets and that is really bad. A mobile device that cannot make it to five hours is not a mobile device for many of us. It is a desktop device with a silly form factor that I can take to a coffee shop and not much else. If they could not address the battery life, they should have withheld the release until they had an answer. Releasing a tablet with the battery life of a five year old laptop is just stupid.

uh, I firmly disagree!

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

If it has components like a laptop, runs a full operating system like a laptop, and is just as productive as a laptop, then it is most certainly should be compared to a laptop in my book!

ChrisInSD

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

You don't seem to "get" what this thing is. It is not a tablet. I am not considering replacing my iPad with it, I am considering replacing my laptop with it. Other than it has a touch screen interface the capabilities of Surface Pro and iPad are entirely dissimilar. On the other hand, it has nearly identical capabilities with MacBook Air.

ammn

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

My surface pro last me 12hr before I need to charge again. And no I did not watch movie or play game non stop for 4-5hr during my work.
Sent from my RM-821_apac_singapore_293 using Board Express

mv740

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Lol ipad/surface pro battery comparing .... If people can do this then i will compare by old motorola razer 1week of "juice power" to all the iphone/l920/nexus4

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My TV remote isn't quite a versatile as a Surface Pro however with a cheaper price tag (about $880 cheaper) and a battery life of 2 months, the Remote is a much better buy at just over $.01 per hour compared to the Surface Pro's $199 an hour!

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My TV remote isn't quite a versatile as a Surface Pro however with a cheaper price tag (about $880 cheaper) and a battery life of 2 months, the Remote is a much better buy at just over $.01 per hour compared to the Surface Pro's $199 an hour!

Yeah, I LOL'd... :D

IC Blues

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

But you can't compare it with MBA /s

wharfratg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

If you are making this comparison based only on the shape resemblance of the respective devices, it fails on many different levels. Would you compare a pen to a stylus just because they look the same?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb