Windows 8 Surface Pro could be an OS/2 victim

annchez

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I actually really like the new Start screen. The UI, gestures, and everything. I would like it better if all the programs can run on that screen so I don't have to keep jumping back and forth between the Start screen and the desktop.

The first few days were pretty frustrating though, couldn't even figure out how to shut down the computer. Had to keep looking things up in the guide book from MS store, or searching online. But after a while I got used to it and now even when I'm using the type cover I still use the touch screen more than the touchpad.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
These doom articles are silly. Surface Pro is a tablet that run a desktop OS. I do not care how popular it is for it's purpose give you a legit desktop experience. Do I care how many alienware laptops are sold if I buy one?

If the MS store dies out I still have a pc in a tablet form.

Seems people just can't get it through their heads that this is not a close eco system device.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This guy is crazy, we all love our Pro.

Windows 8 Surface Pro could be an OS/2 victim

Ask the people who have been finding out that Photoshop and Illustrator will not make use of the pen/digitizer. A weakness of every full Windows 8 based tablet is the fact that Windows 7 (and earlier) applications are generally not touch optimized. They are also not tiny footprint apps and are not going to be recoded unless the developers see a viable market. Granted, the biggest weakness of Surface Pro is its circa 2005 laptop battery life, but even that might be slightly less embarrassing if the x86 applications weren't memory and resource intensive. Without x86 applications designed for a tablet, one really is using a touch device with non-touch applications.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What a load of crap.

The only way this would be valid is if EVERY desktop app out there would work as a Modern-UI app. If that was the case, then I would have bought an RT.

It is nice to have tablet apps available, but I bought the Pro because I could run desktop apps!! The type of apps you run on the Tablet Side are NOT the same desktop side.

Imagine Photoshop Tablet app that was designed to replace the desktop app.
Imagine Office is Tablet Only.
Imagine all of your Dev and other productivity apps as Tablet Only.

With this first release of Windows with this design, it's NOT going to happen. The UI is too inflexible. When you are in Photoshop, how many other apps do you have running to assist you? When in Office, how many times do you have Word and Excel (of another program) open and the same time to share data?

These people need to do real world use cases and know how people are going to use this vs what they speculate without (most likely) even touching one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon