iFixit Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown

apinunw

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
  • Microsoft Surface Pro Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)
  • The battery is not soldered to the motherboard, so at least no soldering is required to replace it.
  • The SSD is removable — but you risk killing your tablet by trying to open it.
  • There are over 90 screws inside this device. We're proponents of mechanical fasteners, but this number is a tad crazy.
  • The display assembly (comprising of a fused glass and LCD) is extremely difficult to remove / replace.
  • Tons of adhesive hold everything in place, including the display and battery.
  • Unless you perform the opening procedure 100% correctly, chances are you'll shear one of the four cables surrounding the display perimeter.

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the word upgradable would be the best choice here, especially when a heat gun is required to even get into it.

Either way though, it was an interesting tear down!

cme4oil

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
It certainly doesn't look like it's worth is to try to upgrade the SSD to me. I would think based on this teardown that if you get it put back together without tearing any ribbon cables and it works, you will be very happy and probably pretty darn lucky...

Now, what the screen actually looks like would be anybody's guess with all that glue they indicated was around the screen.

justinm001

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Or buy 1tb USB 3.0 2.5" external. I plan to use with bunch of movies. Sdxc is very slow
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
SDXC is more than fine for movies...

I agree, I have a regular SD Card and was able to stream movies off of it without any issues at all.

I have a 1TB USB 3.0 2.5" portable and it's great for usage when you are sitting at a desk, but when you are on the bus trying to watch movies, not so practical (and a battery drain when USB Powered). Thumb Drive or inserting the card is more than enough for Movies and stuff to run from.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Ya know, I bit the bullet and got the 64 gig...and then got myself a 64 gig SD card.

Not looking back. :) I'm just gonna have it so my more "business" stuff is installed on the tablet, and I'll have my games installed on the SD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb