02-13-2013, 08:15 AM #2
- 4 Posts
- Microsoft Surface Pro Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)
- The battery is not soldered to the motherboard, so at least no soldering is required to replace it.
- The SSD is removable — but you risk killing your tablet by trying to open it.
- There are over 90 screws inside this device. We're proponents of mechanical fasteners, but this number is a tad crazy.
- The display assembly (comprising of a fused glass and LCD) is extremely difficult to remove / replace.
- Tons of adhesive hold everything in place, including the display and battery.
- Unless you perform the opening procedure 100% correctly, chances are you'll shear one of the four cables surrounding the display perimeter.
- 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM #4
It certainly doesn't look like it's worth is to try to upgrade the SSD to me. I would think based on this teardown that if you get it put back together without tearing any ribbon cables and it works, you will be very happy and probably pretty darn lucky...
Now, what the screen actually looks like would be anybody's guess with all that glue they indicated was around the screen.
02-13-2013, 11:41 AM #8
- 793 Posts
I have a 1TB USB 3.0 2.5" portable and it's great for usage when you are sitting at a desk, but when you are on the bus trying to watch movies, not so practical (and a battery drain when USB Powered). Thumb Drive or inserting the card is more than enough for Movies and stuff to run from.Talderon
Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
Network: AT&T (LTE)
Location: Miami, FL
- 02-13-2013, 08:53 PM #9
Ya know, I bit the bullet and got the 64 gig...and then got myself a 64 gig SD card.
Not looking back. :) I'm just gonna have it so my more "business" stuff is installed on the tablet, and I'll have my games installed on the SD.
- By Chris Hesse in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows 8 ProReplies: 8Last Post: 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM
- By Dray0n in forum Microsoft News & RumorsReplies: 25Last Post: 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
- By J4rrod in forum Upcoming and Rumored TabletsReplies: 60Last Post: 08-26-2012, 02:29 PM
- By ModeratorOMD in forum General Tablet & Laptop DiscussionReplies: 19Last Post: 06-29-2012, 04:11 PM
- By sinime in forum General Tablet & Laptop DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM