Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Since most of us are still waiting for our Surface Pro devices, I was curious to know what you current and future Pro owners plan to do with your Ultra-books.
    Feel free to add in accessory and SSD sizes as well to give the full range of your setup.

Accessories: 128gb Surface Pro
    64gb microsd with usb car reader
    1tb 3.0 External portable
    Bluetooth Mouse (The one Microsoft made for the Surface is way to small.)

Uses: I decided to get the Pro because of its Photoshop capabilities as I am a photographer and don't really enjoy sitting at home constantly editing pictures especially because I'm rarely home on my power PC. I found the Pro to be ideal due to its portability of course and the capability of showing potential clients my previous work on a great HD screen that not too small. Also plan on giving Adobe Premiere a go to see how it runs.
    I'm also a gamer, so I will also be setting up a couple of emulators. NES, SNES, Sega, Sega Saturn, N64, the list goes on. Using a PS3 controller Via Bluetooth.
    Movies will of course also be consumed.
    I will also be writing scrips, storyboards, and just general notes on it as well.

I'm late for work right now so I cant really think of any more reasons as I'm sure there are a ton I'm blanking on at the moment. This is surely not all I will be doing on my Pro.
    So let me as well as the rest of the community know what your plans are with your Surface Pro!

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I am a writer, editor and web designer so i picked mine up for similar reasons as you. I needed photoshop and the ability to have firefox with firebug (a personal fav). I've got the type keyboard and a 32G SDHC card (just in case). I threw Diablo III on for a time waster and love it so far. Great device. I own the 128 GB version of this and the RT as well.
    Thanked by:
    Ekon 

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I think most people will have legacy programs of course. If not we'd all get the RT. I ordered a 64gb microsd card, carrying case, sleeve, mini-displayport cable, USB 3.0 hub. I already have an external monitor, hard drive, mouse.

I gave my laptop computer away to my daughter awhile back, so I only have my desktop. I think the Surface Pro will fit my needs perfectly. It's a tablet I can use around the house and on the sofa. I can take it with me in the car for use as a laptop and do work on it. When I travel, I'll bring my monitor and basically make it into a full PC.

Programs I'll install are Office 2013, PhotoShop, Illustrator, and maybe a couple other productivity software.

I like playing old games, so MAME is a must of course. I also play Commodore 64, Atari 2600, and Amiga. My Atari USB joystick will work great for this.

I know there are always compromises, but the Surface Pro's flexibility can't be beat.
    Thanked by:
    Ekon 

I have the 128gb and am currently phasing it in and my laptop out. I have a simple set up with a second monitor and old school Kensington track ball. Everything about this just works and it makes it much easier to travel or work from a local coffee house if desired. I'm lucky enough to get to work from home and my company requires IE as its access point so this was a perfect solution for me. I used to be married to the iOS platform (iPhone/iPad) but they never worked well for my work purposes. I have since moved to a Lumia 920 and upgraded to Windows 8 on my laptop and now with the Surface Pro I am full integrated and much more productive than ever before. I hope people post more ideas on here as I'd like to add even more versatility than I have now.
    Thanked by:

I have the 128GB with a 64GB SDXC and the Type Cover. I'll probably travel with a USB SD reader so I can import photos without having to eject the SDXC which I'm probably going to use to keep my Lightroom catalog on. I'm pretty excited that I don't have to travel with a portable Wacom tablet anymore (pressure sensitivity is not a dealbreaker, I just like the natural input of a pen)

I'm an amateur photographer (as my screen name might suggest), so it's mainly a travel Lightroom machine and Internet checker, and a replacement for my couch-side computer and second screen for email or Skype when I'm working at home. I have Creative Suite on it, but I doubt I'll use it much on the Pro (hard to go back from a 27" monitor and 16GB of RAM :D)
    Thanked by:
    Ekon 

I am planned to use for coding using visual studio, sqlserver, documentation work using office, surfing and watching movies. I am just worried about the screen size because I feel it's Small. What do you guys think?
    Thanked by:
    Ekon 

Quote Originally Posted by vivekforbes View Post
    I am planned to use for coding using visual studio, sqlserver, documentation work using office, surfing and watching movies. I am just worried about the screen size because I feel it's Small. What do you guys think?
    I do think the screen size is adequate. So far I've done some heavy browsing, note taking, gaming etc. And I find the screen size to be perfect. One with inadequate eyesight may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Po_MD View Post
    I do think the screen size is adequate. So far I've done some heavy browsing, note taking, gaming etc. And I find the screen size to be perfect. One with inadequate eyesight may disagree.
    Thanks. I am going to buy this device on May 1st week. This device is not avialble as of now in my country. Hope i will get offer so that i can get Type cover along with the device for 999 bucks.