Google mail sync on Surface Pro

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe Google ended support for eas on free Gmail accounts. As for the device password, is there a setting on Gmail for this?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately it looks like we can say goodbye to eas gmail/calendar sync. Oh, what a difference 2 weeks makes...

Ekon

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I was able to get mine to sync up. All I did was remove my Gmail account and then add it back on. Synced right up

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The problem is, Google is tweaking their protocols to "enhance to Google/Android experience" and say "Screw You!" to anyone not on an Android or Google device/application.

Honestly, Outlook.com is a much nicer interface and Microsoft is not playing this game so everyone can get in on it. I have pretty much dropped anything Google. I keep my Gmail account only to forward to my outlook.com for a few more month before I terminate it completely.

Ekon

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The problem is, Google is tweaking their protocols to "enhance to Google/Android experience" and say "Screw You!" to anyone not on an Android or Google device/application.

Honestly, Outlook.com is a much nicer interface and Microsoft is not playing this game so everyone can get in on it. I have pretty much dropped anything Google. I keep my Gmail account only to forward to my outlook.com for a few more month before I terminate it completely.

Thanks for the heads up, I will also be making the change.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The problem is, Google is tweaking their protocols- to "enhance to Google/Android experience" and say "Screw You!" to anyone not on an Android or Google device/application.

Not true. Google embraced open standards and any one who supports the open standards gets a wonderful experience. This includes all apple devices. So, both apple and Google devices could use free standards or active sync. Microsoft with win8 by default was setting google accounts as activesync. Google informed MS about their intent to stop using active sync. Google pays a royalty to MS for every user who uses active sync. If Microsoft had embraced the standards that over 90% of the industry already supports, this would not have happened.
Think about it, Microsoft was essentially getting a royalty out of Google for every device Microsoft was selling that used gmail. Crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Not true. Google embraced open standards and any one who supports the open standards gets a wonderful experience. This includes all apple devices. So, both apple and Google devices could use free standards or active sync. Microsoft with win8 by default was setting google accounts as activesync. Google informed MS about their intent to stop using active sync. Google pays a royalty to MS for every user who uses active sync. If Microsoft had embraced the standards that over 90% of the industry already supports, this would not have happened.
Think about it, Microsoft was essentially getting a royalty out of Google for every device Microsoft was selling that used gmail. Crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Source: Severe Windows Phone 8 bug rears its head for Gmail users | Windows Phone Central

It looks like some users who have Gmail on their Windows Phone 8 devices are experiencing syncing issues that eventually cause the email app to crash.

This appears to be tied to Google’s non-standard implementation of IMAP2 and may depend on which method you use to set up Gmail. In other words, seeing as this problem just popped up, Google may have altered something on their backend in the last 48 hours resulting in these stability issues.

There was another article that I can't find at the moment where Google releases a press statement stating the changes they made to their IMAP protocols are for "...an enhances Android Experience..." and they will be dropping support for standard IMAP and Exchange Active Sync (on July 31, 2013).

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/winter-cleaning.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital