Battlefield 3 on Surface Pro

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Non-techy people are a different breed, man. They think "if Xbox version of BF3 runs on any Xbox, then the PC version should work on my Toshiba Netbook ask long as I get the external DVD ROM". They don't understand. Console gaming spoiled people. You can drop a few hundred bucks on a console and it will run any game available for that console because it's a standardized platform. PC gaming is like Android, in a way...

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I agree...nobody should expect to buy a Surface Pro and play a game like BF3 in it's fully glory. But, for someone like me that built a $2500 rig just for BF3 last year...it would be cool to get it to run on my SP for when I'm traveling. Even if it's just to play the campaign that I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

Interesting you say that. I built a rig around that same amount last year just to play BF3 as well. What are your specs?

Mine:

i7 3930k
ASUS Sabertooth x79
Corsair H100
Corsair x750
Corsair Carbide 400R Case
Corsair Dominator GT Ram
Sasmsung 830 120GB SSD (boot)
Seagate 1TB Sata6gb
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Samsung DVDRW Drive

Always nice to see a fellow builder in the forums. I think my rigs have me spoiled and I wouldn't even want to play BF3 on the SPRO.

TheAccuser

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting you say that. I built a rig around that same amount last year just to play BF3 as well. What are your specs?

Mine:

i7 3930k
ASUS Sabertooth x79
Corsair H100
Corsair x750
Corsair Carbide 400R Case
Corsair Dominator GT Ram
Sasmsung 830 120GB SSD (boot)
Seagate 1TB Sata6gb
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Samsung DVDRW Drive

Always nice to see a fellow builder in the forums. I think my rigs have me spoiled and I wouldn't even want to play BF3 on the SPRO.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
PSU: Corsair AX1200
CPU: i7 2600K overclocked to 4.0 Ghz
Memory: 16 GB G.Skill 2133 Mhz
Disk: 3x Crucial m4 128 GB SSDs running RAID-0
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
GPU: 2x VisionTek Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Display: Dell U2711 & Dell 2709W
Mouse: R.A.T. 7 Wired
Keyboard: Corsair K60

TheAccuser

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Update on BF3. Over in an EA thread, they provided us with a special version of Origin for Surface Pro to fix the issue with launching Origin games. I was able to run BF3 at 20fps at 1366x768 on low. This was on multi-player/online, so I'm hoping I can get a few more fps out of it during offline/campaign mode. I'm pretty impressed...hope I can make a few more tweaks and get it to 25fps.

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
BF3 is one of the most scalable modern games. I am a huge BF3 fan, and have been playing since launch on a $2500 rig...getting BF3 running on my Surface Pro while I'm stuck in a hotel room is enticing.

I am always amazed when trolls decide to give their 2 cents. Thanks for the great contribution.
$2500?!
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I agree...nobody should expect to buy a Surface Pro and play a game like BF3 in it's fully glory. But, for someone like me that built a $2500 rig just for BF3 last year...it would be cool to get it to run on my SP for when I'm traveling. Even if it's just to play the campaign that I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

You, sir or madam, have more patience than I do. I tried to play the campaign and gave up trying. It's pretty terrible. Expect to have your hand held for EVERYTHING, and to go through a completely different flying experience than in multi-player. Seriously, this game's campaign is not meant to be played, I think. Sorry, just my $0.02.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You, sir or madam, have more patience than I do. I tried to play the campaign and gave up trying. It's pretty terrible. Expect to have your hand held for EVERYTHING, and to go through a completely different flying experience than in multi-player. Seriously, this game's campaign is not meant to be played, I think. Sorry, just my $0.02.

They have said before that the BF SP is little more than a tutorial. All the games have played like that. The Bad Company off shoots were funny though. I liked the BF3 campaign though.

You don't fly the jet in BF3's SP...do you? I thought you were just the gunner? It has been a long time since I played that mission...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett