Amazed at the actual interest in the Surface Pro

TheGeekNextDoor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Picked up a Pro 128 this morning at Best Buy. While I was there, I couldn't get near the two display models. People wouldn't stop touching them and picking them up. These were "normal" people. People like my parents and my the rest of my family. Went to another Best Buy and a Staples in an effort to find a type cover. The same scenario existed at both stores. Ordinary people looking at the Surface Pros...nobody paying attention to the Apple stuff across the aisle.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I saw the same thing here in DC, only Best Buy had no stock of the 128Gb version- had to order it on line
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I really haven't noticed that at all and I had a laptop crash recently so I have been in a bunch of BB's and Staples, plus the Tempe Fry's and Scottsdale Microsoft Store. Quite frankly, what I have noticed in the past month is that traffic has dropped off around all tablets including the iPad. Instead, I have seen more people looking at conventional laptops after the various price cuts since the holidays. Different areas apparently offer different experiences on this front....

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Not amazed at all. It's a beautiful piece of hardware\software. Thus, they have MS stores. If people actually see them and play with them it sells itself.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Anyone's BBs have the pen out to play with? Three stores, nothing for me.

Last week my local Best Buy did not have a pen available and their displays were a bit unkempt. Several people were interested in the Surface and Kindle Fire; no one was at the Apple table.

TheGeekNextDoor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I am amazed at the good response this device has gotten in spite of the "news" agencies making it sound like a total waste of money. It seems as though only apple products are worth this kind of money in their eyes. Love my Surface Pro.

Now to spread the word. When TiVo first came out, it was in few households, but it was in nearly 100% of the households of guys that I worked with...I hope to help everyone see the light on this product too... :)

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I've not seen the pen anywhere. The Staff doesn't seem to understand how important it is to differentiate the Surface Pro from the competition.
FYI the 128 model was unavailable in Wash DC this weekend, but available on line for preorders that will ship March 1. Sadly MS will only ship via UPS with no weekend delivery so they won't arrive till the following week. Can't figure out why they don't offer a FedEx option, you know, and actual Courier Service, so we could have the weekend to play with our new toys. I despise UPS, however my new Surface will be arriving in March, when its convenient for them.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
After having my surface pro I agree it would be nice to have 4G LTE built in.. Currently I tether via my L920

I've tethered my Surface to the Lumia 920 as well when encountering sketchy Wi-Fi. And here's the best bit. If you have an Surface RT, tether to the Lumia via a USB cord and while the 920 provide internet access to the RT, the RT is charging the Lumia so the big battery drain from internet sharing on the phone is not a factor and the RT has plenty of juice for both. This has worked for hours on end for me.

I haven't tried this with the Pro yet, but given the battery life of the Pro, the results clearly won't be the same.

StarLog

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I tether with my Samsung Galaxy Note II. This Pro is so easy and user friendly, my iPad, has not been touched since I got the Pro.

Sina Falaki

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I cant seem to find one!!!!! They are ALWAYS sold out.. two stores told me they were sold out right when they hit the floor. Anyone know if they are still shipping out 1-2 units? Thanks

Seasurf

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I tether with my Samsung Galaxy Note II. This Pro is so easy and user friendly, my iPad, has not been touched since I got the Pro.

This is what I do too. The VZW Note 2 with LTE connection and hotspot feature avoids the need for a 4G Surface. Not much current use for the iPad 3 except for a couple of its apps.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy Note II is a nice phone. I tether with my Lumia 920. I wouldn't buy a 4G LTE tablet because using the phone is so much more flexible. I also stopped using my iPad after I got my Surface RT.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note II is a nice phone. I tether with my Lumia 920. I wouldn't buy a 4G LTE tablet because using the phone is so much more flexible. I also stopped using my iPad after I got my Surface RT.

Plus much cheaper. I have noticed since I started to tether my data has gone from 800m to about 3gigs. I really only tether at work but I don't stream video or anything, that could be a data hog.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

percychow

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
OK maybe this is a little late but...

FWIW - EVERYTIME I bring out my Surface RT, a small crowd forms - whether it's in the office or at a local Starbucks. The office guys comments usually are "Hmmm, can I run Office on that?" and around the coffee shop is "wow, that's beautiful, that does so much more than my iPad."

As much as the Surface is panned in the media - after owning one of THE first iPads - which took a year to ramp up app and find a use case for... personally speaking, I use my Surface RT A LOT more than my 1st gen iPad for both media consumption and getting some work done.

Apps - sheesh, the Surface will catch up, but really, apart from Banking and the social ones... how many does a tablet user REALLY use?

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: OK maybe this is a little late but...

I was surprised to see the Microsoft store filled with people all checking out and many buying the Surface Pro (had to be 64GB). I figured that there would be some interest but many would wait and see how it did before deciding to give it a try. There were at least two people in the shop while I was there that were switching from an old laptop to a surface pro.

I hope this keeps up for Microsoft as this is exactly what Windows 8 was made for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3