External Monitor

tajones65

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Use of an external monitor is not ready for prime time yet. When Surface goes to sleep, upon awakening, one gets mixed results on resumption of external monitor. At times the external screen will come back up as it was left. At other times, the screen image will shake violently for a few minutes & then go back to normal. At times it won't settle & will have to do a forced shutdown & re-boot.

Bottom line, you get mixed results on external monitor resumption upon awakening.

T Jones

jpw21683

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
When it doesn't settle, what happens if you pull the mini-displayport plug out of the Surface, then reattach? That would be faster than rebooting (well, I guess it depends on your setup).

Also, are you using an adapter? If so, the official MS ones?

I bought a couple of adapters from Monoprice, and plan on connecting to an external monitor, but just haven't had a chance yet (got mine on Saturday).

tajones65

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
jpw21683: yes, I am using the mini-display VGA adapter that I bought at the MS Store I purchased the surface pro at. I have not tried pulling the adapter from the surface & then plug back in to see if that cures the issue. I will try next time. Bottom line though-we should not have to do that - external monitor should come back up properly after the surface wakes back up. Any workaround is not acceptable for a long term solution.

justinm001

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like an issue with your monitor sending handshake to the surface. I see this all the time with my media PC and HDMI with a matrix switch, splitter and receiver all before the tvs.

I have no problem using a cheap $10 mini dp to HDMI in my pro.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

jpw21683

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
tajones65 is using VGA...that might have something to do with it?

I have both HDMI/DVI and VGA adapters, so I will test with both.

jpw21683

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
For the past two days, I've been using a Monoprice Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to run a dual-monitor setup. I've had no issues. When waking from sleep, cold boot, restart, the external monitor is immediately detected and works just fine.

I haven't had a chance yet to try the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, but I will.

It's important to realize that Mini DisplayPort outputs a digital signal...like HDMI & DVI. The HDMI & DVI adapters are passive adapters.

VGA is an analog signal. So a VGA adapter (regardless of brand) has to convert a digital signal to an analog one; it's an active adapter. tajones65, this might cause the problems you describe.

Regardless, it shouldn't happen...especially the official MS-branded adapter you have. But this might point to the problem. Is it possible to connect to your monitor with DVI or HDMI, therefore not using the VGA adapter?

tajones64

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
that makes sense...I'll have to try that once I get a DVI adapter...I suspect the problem is with the port talking with the vga accessed monitor..

Michael Miles

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Use of an external monitor is not ready for prime time yet. When Surface goes to sleep, upon awakening, one gets mixed results on resumption of external monitor. At times the external screen will come back up as it was left. At other times, the screen image will shake violently for a few minutes & then go back to normal. At times it won't settle & will have to do a forced shutdown & re-boot.

Bottom line, you get mixed results on external monitor resumption upon awakening.

T Jones

I've been usong my surface with a 27 inch Samsung SyncMaster P2770HDTV via hdmi. i have zero issues. i love ot amd it works great. It allows me to run Avid MC 6.5. So, I can take home small work projects and cut exclusively on my surface. I'm going to try After Effects this weekend.

tajones64

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
JPW- OK..taking your suggestion & leaving VGA behind - I used an "apple mini-display port to DVI adapter" and works with no problems. External Screen & Surface go to sleep & come back up with no external monitor distortion, as happened with "MS mini-display port VGA adapter" ..bothers me that MS adapter does not work properly..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo