Installing Desktop Apps on MicroSD

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone tried installing Desktop (or legacy) apps on their MicroSD? I have a 64 GB Class 10 but only rated at 30 MB/S...I installed a few GOG.COM games on it and it works fine. Wasn't planning on installing Visual Studio, Photoshop or anything intensive on that drive. Just wondering if anyone has done this and what their results were.

Thanks!
Brian

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have steam installed on my SDcard, and run Left 4 Dead 2 off of it. Works fine, in fact I don't really notice a huge load time difference.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Actually what I did was create a folder on C:\ called "SDCard" and make a junction link to a folder on the SDCard called "Program Files". Then whenever I want to install something to the sdcard, I just install it to C:\SDCard

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Unless you get one of the new super fast microSDXC cards that top out at 16GB, installing programs to the card is a lot slower than the built in hard drive. I have the Sandisk 64gb UHS 1 and there is a noticeable lag opening large PDF's or other files. I changed my mind and installed all the programs on the main hard drive. I use the SD card for saving files and documents instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb