Horrible sound recording on pro!!

Juan Stevens

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Alright guys, I need to verify this more. I was in a meeting this morning and started recording some video in Onenote on my surface pro 128. It sounded horrible. I then tried on a co-workers 128. Same horrible sound. I tried the camera app and recorded some video on both pro's. Same thing. We've bought our pros at two different times so I know it's not the batch. So then I decided to try on my RT. Onenote student version doesn't seem to let me record sound but I tried the camera app. Sounded perfect.

Did MS overlook this issue and never test? They couldn't have thought this sound would be acceptable. Can you guys test yours?

cme4oil

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
While I haven't tested this myself, I would bet that it's the sound from the fans in the SP you are hearing. The RT does not have those, so no fan noise in the recording.

gootdude

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
It's the settings in windows 8 for "Microphone Boost", turn that down to 0.0dB and you should get proper audio from the microphone.
Goto Desktop -> Swipe from right -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording Tab -> Select the Microphone that is default device (the other should say unplugged and is the 3.5mm jack), -> properties ->levels tab.
Hope that helps

VelJharig

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I ran across this same issue when setting up my Surface Pro for video conferencing apps. Default mic input had mic boost set to max, which generated lots of input noise. After reducing it to 0.0 DB, and then adjusting the mic level, people are reporting that mic quality for VC almost as good as my Sennheiser headset - very impressive for a built-in boundary mic. I'm not sure that an app (looking at you, Skype... with your auto-adjusting gain setting by default) didn't muck with the settings before I started testing audio, so it may not be set that high by default.
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Board Express

dagozuniga

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I too have experienced some terrible mic issues with the surface pro 3. I just purchased it and did a webinar through google hangout and when I went to preview the recording on YouTube the audio on my end made me sound like I was some demonic monster....lol. It was horrible. I actually used my yeti microphone which sounds amazing when I use my macbookl pro to do a webinar. I then did another webinar without the yeti microphone and I used the internal mic on the surface pro 3 and it was a little better but sound so bad.... this is really a deal breaker for me since I wanted to have a small mobile computer that I could do webinars with. Has there been any luck in resolving this issue? I just adjusted my mic setting as some of these post have recommended. I will run another test to see what happens. Are there any recommendations of any external mics that works great with the surface pro 3? I need super clear clarity. There is nothing more annoying then bad sound. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos