Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gootdude

Alright guys, I need to verify this more. I was in a meeting this morning and started recording some video in Onenote on my surface pro 128. It sounded horrible. I then tried on a co-workers 128. Same horrible sound. I tried the camera app and recorded some video on both pro's. Same thing. We've bought our pros at two different times so I know it's not the batch. So then I decided to try on my RT. Onenote student version doesn't seem to let me record sound but I tried the camera app. Sounded perfect.

Did MS overlook this issue and never test? They couldn't have thought this sound would be acceptable. Can you guys test yours?

What was the issue? Is it just fan noise?

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    While I haven't tested this myself, I would bet that it's the sound from the fans in the SP you are hearing. The RT does not have those, so no fan noise in the recording.

It doesn't sound like fan noise really. It sounds highly distorted.

It's the settings in windows 8 for "Microphone Boost", turn that down to 0.0dB and you should get proper audio from the microphone.
    Goto Desktop -> Swipe from right -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording Tab -> Select the Microphone that is default device (the other should say unplugged and is the 3.5mm jack), -> properties ->levels tab.
    Hope that helps
    Thanked by:
    Juan Stevens likes this.

I didnt even think of that. thanks a lot. i wonder why they put the boost so high for default.

I ran across this same issue when setting up my Surface Pro for video conferencing apps. Default mic input had mic boost set to max, which generated lots of input noise. After reducing it to 0.0 DB, and then adjusting the mic level, people are reporting that mic quality for VC almost as good as my Sennheiser headset - very impressive for a built-in boundary mic. I'm not sure that an app (looking at you, Skype... with your auto-adjusting gain setting by default) didn't muck with the settings before I started testing audio, so it may not be set that high by default.
    Sent from my SGH-T899M using Board Express