Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bauerbach

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Just picked myself up a 128gb Pro today.

Have any of you had issues trying to swipe to scroll in desktop apps? I've noticed in Firefox for example, trying to swipe my finger or use my stylus just selects text or clicks things instead.

Also, in the Metro IE I can't even post here because my onscreen keyboard disappears as soon as I tap inside the text field. Firefox Nightly Metro UI works fine though other than lack of pinch to zoom support.

Haven't got a type/touch cover yet so these issues are pretty annoying... any known fix?

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Some apps want you to use the scroll bar, rather than dragging in the window. That's the main reason I'm using only IE on the Surface (normally, I'm a Chrome user, but it's kludgey on Surface). Firefox may be one of those.

I would definitely get a cover/keyboard, soon. This is an ultrabook replacement, not an iPad replacement. They were out of the Type Cover, when I got my Surface, so I got a Touch Cover. I am incredibly impressed with it. I had initially expected to return the cover and get a Type Cover, but I don't plan on doing so, anymore. The Touch Cover works so well as a cover and it only took me a couple days to get used to it. I'm almost as fast on the Touch Cover as any standard keyboard; the speed difference and few typos I attribute more to the size than to the key travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
    Some apps want you to use the scroll bar, rather than dragging in the window. That's the main reason I'm using only IE on the Surface (normally, I'm a Chrome user, but it's kludgey on Surface). Firefox may be one of those.
    Chrome looks pretty wretched on the Pro anyway because it doesn't support 150% scaling. I use FF in desktop mode with the pen and Type Cover (if traveling) or a BT keyboard and mouse when home. I don't bother with a Metro browser - I've never found the finger to be a good way to interact with most sites anyway, even the ones that claim to be touch-friendly. If you really want to use sites like this in Metro, I'd probably look for an app. WPCentral itself doesn't appear to have one (weird), but I'm sure there are plenty of capable forum readers out there.

I noticed that problem too, but I like Firefox too much to switch. There's an add-on called "Grab and Drag" that allows you to scroll with your finger or stylus easily. Hopefully that helps!

Twisted

touching the stylus to the screen is akin to left clicking, you can use it to highlight and push buttons, but it doesn't know "taps", it takes any press as a click. its just how a pen works by default. It is nice to highlight stuff for sure though.

as for this forum, yeah... I don't know about the software but it is pretty odd... it isn't just the surface, it doesn't like my desktop either. There is a button 2nd from the left on top row that says "remove format" looks like a pair of A's with a red X. Click that and then you can respond in IE.
    Heel73 likes this.

I have this same issue and have been trying to find a thread on it. I think it is just a glitch or a bug. I am specifically referring to using my finger in Firefox desktop mode. You can use you finger to scroll the pages like any other touchscreen device, but for some reason, periodically it will think you are trying to highlight the text on the page and scrolling will no longer work, only high lighting. I cant figure out what triggers the swtich from scrolling to highlighting but it is annoying. I have found that if you refresh the entire page you are on it will go back to scrolling normally. I have found some particular web pages are more prone to this happening then others.

but this brings up a good point, how would you highlight something on a webpage with your finger, when it normally scrolls when you touch it. There is something that has to do this. Some touch gesture I am actually doing, but cant find any documentation anywhere.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    So, I just tested this on my Asus VivoBook which I've owned for a few months. Turns out this problem is definitely not caused by the Surface itself, as the same issue occurs on other touchscreen Windows 8 devices. It's either a glitch with Windows, or a limitation of the browser. Potentially both.

The question will be, other than using browser add-ons (good suggestion btw!) will there be an eventual "proper fix" for this. As you said, some may wish to highlight content rather than scroll, so there needs to be a method of choosing. One common method would be using one finger to tap/select/drag etc, but two fingers to scroll. Given that our devices support 10-point multitouch, not difficult to implement I would think.

Go get OPERA.. it supports the touch screen

Thanks last poster. I got opera now and have never had the issue I mentioned about. Also very similar to Mozilla. So easy to transition