OneNote 2013 Issue

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am having a strange problem using OneNote 2013 on my Surface Pro. My goal is to record lectures and be able to play them back on different devices - all of which are running OneNote 2013. The devices are Surface RT, Surface Pro and Nokia 920.

I have tried every single audio codec and am having no luck across the RT and Nokia 920. If I record a video - it plays on the Nokia but not on the Surface RT. I also had the terrible microphone boost problem - I adjusted that down. I tried different bit rates - different codecs. I went to the Microsoft Store over 2 weeks ago to open a ticket - and they are still trying to get in touch from someone on the Office team.

I have moved from the apple ecosystem - including MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone - to Windows 8. One of the primary reasons was OneNote.

Is it too much to expect to be able to record on OneNote on the Surface Pro and playback on the RT? I am on this board everyday reading along and I know that someone up here can point me in the right direction..

Thanks,

K

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that answer is any good...

it certainly should work.... but I have yet to dive into the recording world of the pro, and I don't own an RT with which to duplicate your issue anyway. I suspect not many here do unfortunately. Hopefully msft can find the issue.

I certainly cant fathom why something like an AVI file would fail to play on any device.

heed

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it's frustrating coming from a Mac. I hope you can get it sorted out. Here are some ideas:

Does it work the opposite way (recording on the RT and playing on the Pro)? Can you view the AVI file in another program like VLC or MPCHC? I use OneNote all the time for audio (not video) recording, but it did take me a very long time in my setup to select the correct inputs, levels, etc. In the end, I found that I had to pause the recording for a few minutes before I stopped it or it wouldn't be readable. I know it's not much but I hope some of that helps.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
K, if you would like, I will ask my husband if he knows the solution. He is a Test Lead on the One Note team and loves troubleshooting end user problems.

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Please. If your husband can find out, that would be great.

I can't go the other way because onenote rt does not allow you to record audio. I have not checked with the phone going back to rt...

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello.

I have tried everything. Different input levels, codecs, bitrate, etc. Nothing. I went to the Microsoft store yesterday and was told that someone emailed someone. It was so vague and not comforting. I sent an email to the person I was dealing with with no response.

K

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi - sorry for the late reply. My husband told me that your problem is due to the fact that sound doesn't work with the RT version of One Note. He said he believes it is something they are working on adding, but right now, since that version doesn't support sound, there's no way to resolve your issue.

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello. Thanks for asking. I guess I'm going to have to talk to the manager at the Microsoft Store to bring the RT back. If I can't use it as planned - I can just lug the Surface Pro around with me.

I was OK with the limitations as outlined on the Microsoft site as follows but the implication is that you would be able to playback audio - which I believe is outlined under audio and video search. If OneNote was not going to be able to play back audio - why even talk about how you would not be able to search through audio notes.

Audio and video recording
Recording audio/video notes from inside OneNote 2013 RT is not supported. Instead, you can record audio or video with other software, then insert it through Insert → File to add onto the OneNote page.

Import through scanner
Importing a printed document or picture into OneNote 2013 RT through an attached scanner is not supported. Instead, you can scan images through another program (for example, the default scanning app in Windows RT or another scanning app you download from the Windows Store), then import the images into OneNote.

Audio & video search
Searching for words appearing in an embedded audio or video file is not supported in OneNote 2013 RT.

I picked this information from Office Home & Student RT Preview - Office.com

Thanks,

K

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I opened a case with Microsoft regarding the issue. It took a while, but they have confirmed that OneNote RT or OneNote for Windows Phone 8 - will not play back an audio file that is recorded in OneNote 2013 on the Surface Pro. They have also updated OneNote 2013 on the Surface RT so that it now displays an error immediately when attempting to play the audio file - this was released last week on Tuesday. Prior to this patch, the product would attempt to open the metro music player and then fail. They also mentioned that they will update the Office 2013 for RT website to reflect this "new" information.

At this point, I have requested a refund on all three products, extended warranties and accessories. I know that this is going to sound crazy - but I really liked the products. All three on their own as standalone products were more than acceptable. My issue is that I wanted to be able to use them in a specific manner - together - which is what made me move from the Apple eco-system. I could use Evernote and make this happen across any IOS/OSX/Win8 device - but if that is the case - then I'm going to move back to iOS. My issue with Microsoft is that it took over a month to confirm the problem - and there were service failures at every touchpoint.

I'm also waiting to hear how they are going to un-ring the bell with my AT&T upgrade to the Nokia - so that I could use it for the iPhone 5. I just wanted to close the loop on this issue and thank everyone for the information.

k

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Why would I talk to ATT directly when Microsoft is an AT&T partner? I returned everything today for a full refund and the manager said they were working with AT&T to return the phone and get back my upgrade status.

AT&T doesn't make the operating system - Microsoft does. It's the same reason that I didn't call Nokia.

Rob Stover

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am just having an issue with the playback on my Surface Pro sounding very grainy. Is there a recommended audio settings to clean this up?

heed

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
When I playback audio recorded on my other laptop in Onenote 2010 there is no graininess. Do you have another computer you could try recording on and then sync the notebook with your SP?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss