low volume level

garyjk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
just wondering if anyone is experiencing a low volume level on the pro. i have to set the volume to 100 in the player, the speakers and the mixer to be able get a decent volume level. if i play a song in media player and have the speaker volume at 50 and the media player volume at 100, i can barely hear it.

i have a client that has one, but he's in florida for a month, so i can't do a comparison until he gets back. he says his is plnty loud enough.

i tried uninstalling and reinstaling the derivers with no luck.

anyone else?

tonyz3

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Go to Control Panel, then Sound, then click on Speakers, then Properties, then Enhancements and check Loudness Equalization and Virtual Surround too if you wish. Apply changes.

TekNinja81

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, the Surface's speakers are on the weak side, especially compared to my Asus VivoBook I'd purchased a few months ago. I tend to watch a lot of videos on my portables, so the volume level is a bit disappointing, though it's acceptable in a quiet area. Haven't tried headphones yet.

DasVan

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The speakers are so "quiet" because they are side firing. If you place your hands behind the speakers and aim the sound waves forward with yours palms, the sound is increased by at least 3x.
It's not ideal and is a total PITA but that is the reason it's so quiet.

jpw21683

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The speakers are so "quiet" because they are side firing. If you place your hands behind the speakers and aim the sound waves forward with yours palms, the sound is increased by at least 3x.
It's not ideal and is a total PITA but that is the reason it's so quiet.

This. Cup your hands around the speakers and it makes a huge difference.

I was editing video, with low-level volume from the on-camera mic, and was nearly impossible to hear without cupping my hands around the speakers. Headphones worked even better!

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on the source material. I too was concerned about the low volume at first when I watched some pre-recorded class lectures but since then I've come across other apps/videos where the volume is fine.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Surface volume is quite sufficient for most all my applications/uses. When I want higher volume or quality -for music or movies, for instance, I turn on my dbest London duos which pair-up immediately, or I connect my Sony ear- or headphones. Wonderful, plentiful amplified sound.

Note: I have excellent hearing.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I changed the sound settings and the difference was immediately noticeable.
Meanwhile, I cant wait till some third party supplier comes out with a set of sliding "cups" to stick to the back and extend to funnel the sound forward (hint hint)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon