Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree10Likes
  1. pdch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
       #1  
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 03-09-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: fix title
  2. nottechsmart's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    #2  
    I don't understand the comparisons either. Every review you read mentions the ipad. When Apple comes out with a I-5 powered, Windows 8 ipad I'd love to compare, till then, don't care about it nor do I need it compared to every full Windows 8 tablet I look up. That was ALMOST a rant:D
  3. #3  
    Yep, people still don't understand the Surface concept. Apparently not even reviewers like this guy.
  4. vertigoOne's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #4  
    I stopped reading at the processor comparison, it was clearly all going downhill from there.

    The lack of responsibility in this avenue of journalism disgusts me. All they are concerned with is page views, even when those page views are people flocking to the article to see the writer making a fool of themselves, which seems to happen too often recently. Where are the "dislike" and "-1" buttons?
  5. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    16,913 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,300 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #5  
    If they wanted to do a fair review, a better comparison would be between Surface Pro and MacBook Air.
    Thanked by:
  6. starski5000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #6  
    Yeah.. That was a silly read.
  7. Darkgift's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #7  
    Cab we say Apple fanboy, all in unison?
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!
  8. superlawyer15's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    If they wanted to do a fair review, a better comparison would be between Surface Pro and MacBook Air.
    even that wouldn't be a fair comparison ...no touch screen, no detachable keyboard, etc...
  9. pdch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
       #9  
    Yeah, when his entire processor comparison came down to number of cores and clock speed with out taking architecture into account, my face and palm were destined to come together. I sent the guy an "informative" email.
    Marute likes this.
  10. Mercule's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #10  
    Aside from its shyness about full OS disclosure (it comes with Windows 8 Pro), or its reluctance to provide the CRN Test Center with a Surface review unit, Microsoft's second-edition tablet stacks up nicely next to Apple's latest iPad, at least technically
    Wow. Four misses in one sentence.

    "...shyness about full OS disclosure..." Huh? It runs Windows 8 Pro. You want the build number?

    "...review unit..." Sour grapes much? Maybe they realized you didn't have a clue.

    "...second generation tablet..." This isn't a second generation. The RT is targeted at a different segment and both were announced at the same time.

    "...at least technically..." Looking at the review, the "non-technical" comparisons come from trying to fit it into the wrong product class. A Ford Focus is a better value than a Lincoln Towncar, if you're looking at gas mileage, too.
    Thanked by:
    sravanv and Jastow like this.
  11. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    If they wanted to do a fair review, a better comparison would be between Surface Pro and MacBook Air.
    The MBA is not a touch enabled hybrid device, let alone a pure tablet. It is not a basis for comparison for anyone outside the crowd who can't handle the fact that Surface Pro has some negatives when the discussion is just tablet to tablet. If you want to bring MBA into the picture then you need to also consider the Lenovo hybrids and the whole array of Windows 8 I5 laptops. If you bring those into the picture, Surface Pro is overpriced, has middling performance, and offers a battery life that stopped being acceptable a few years back. If you don't like a review, comment on its specifics or just ignore it (what a novel concept). Trying to change the question to one you think is more advantageous is as challenged as the original bad review.
  12. #12  
    Surface rt to iPad 4 would have been a better comparison.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  13. polbit's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #13  
    As many have said, the beauty of Surface Pro is that it doesn't fit into a predefined category. I'm not sure that it will ever beat the sales numbers of an iPad, but for many of us, it's a much more appealing device. Unfortunately comparing it to an iPad 4, or to a Macbook Air, misses the point - it would need to be compared to an iPad/Air hybrid, which does not exist.
    ---
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting Holy sh1t, what a ride!'
    theefman likes this.
  14. WanderingTraveler's Avatar

    Posts
    4,708 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,718 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #14  
    Comparisons like this are the reason for me waiting for a tablet that competes in the same way the Surface Pro does.

    That is an unfilled niche, if you ask me.
    Microsoft better not screw up availability in the next few months.
  15. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #15  
    After seeing family members purchase and use iPads, I'm fully convinced they are completely dumb devices. However, that's all that most people need. The problem is with these publications who fail to see that there may be people who want something more. Just look at the Penny Arcade article.
  16. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #16  
    These Surface Pro vs iPad comparisons are as facepalm worthy as Surface Pro (and Atom Windows 8 tablets) vs Windows RT comparisons in these forums.
  17. coolqf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    587 Global Posts
    #17  
    Function wise, the are very similar and serve similar target audience. Individuals that are willing to pay a premium for a device that is portable and does what they want it to do. The surface pro wins in terms of productivity but loses in terms of entertainment, price, and portability.
    When seeking primarily productivity and legacy apps we will want to compare the surface pro against the MBA, but when considering entertainment and portability we will want to compare it against the iPad.
    Apple proved this when the iPad too over the netbook market and pushed the current ms touch tablets out of the market.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  18. Talderon's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    702 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    Function wise, the are very similar and serve similar target audience. Individuals that are willing to pay a premium for a device that is portable and does what they want it to do. The surface pro wins in terms of productivity but loses in terms of entertainment, price, and portability.
    When seeking primarily productivity and legacy apps we will want to compare the surface pro against the MBA, but when considering entertainment and portability we will want to compare it against the iPad.
    Apple proved this when the iPad too over the netbook market and pushed the current ms touch tablets out of the market.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Not sure I can see your point, You can't compare an iPad to a Laptop even if it is running Windows 8 and has a touchscreen because one is a tablet and one is a laptop.

    You can't compare the Surface Pro in ANY way because it really IS a Laptop (be it ultra portable and all that), it is just in more of a Tablet form factor.

    Surface RT is more of a direct competitor to the iPad as it is an actual Tablet, thinking he Pro is a tablet because it looks like an RT is just pain... Well... idiotic (speaking to the reviewer at this point).

    Just because I make a car in the shape of a chicken does not make the car a chicken, nor does it now make a chicken a car.
    Talderon


    Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
    Network: AT&T (LTE)
    Location: Redmond, WA
  19. coolqf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    587 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Talderon View Post
    Not sure I can see your point, You can't compare an iPad to a Laptop even if it is running Windows 8 and has a touchscreen because one is a tablet and one is a laptop.

    You can't compare the Surface Pro in ANY way because it really IS a Laptop (be it ultra portable and all that), it is just in more of a Tablet form factor.

    Surface RT is more of a direct competitor to the iPad as it is an actual Tablet, thinking he Pro is a tablet because it looks like an RT is just pain... Well... idiotic (speaking to the reviewer at this point).

    Just because I make a car in the shape of a chicken does not make the car a chicken, nor does it now make a chicken a car.
    Unfortunately, it's out of our control. MS is pitching the Surface Pro as a tablet. MS has told the entire world that the Surface Pro is a tablet. This is why even BestBuy lists the Surface Pro under the 'tablet' category. Going off your analogy, yes, you're right MS has made the laptop in the shape of a chicken and is telling people to categorize it under chicken, and yes, their marketing calls it a "laptop in the form of a tablet."

    The fact is.... MS has told them to categorize it as a tablet and the tablet is taking away sales from laptops. So, the tablet is the next evolution to computers. The way desktops were replaced by laptops, tablets will do the same with laptops, which is why traditional laptop sales are down.
  20. bauerbach's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    221 Posts
    #20  
    well the reviews of the OG ipad vs the windows laptops of the day were equally amusing.
  21. irspecere's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    20 Posts
    #21  
    I don't understand how the reviewer can compare the lack of ports on the Ipad to the Surface Pro's USB 3 and Micro SD slot, concluding that "The input/output category is a wash; neither platform offers a better value." How is that a "wash"???? How is having USB 3/Micro SD not a better value???? I would say there is plenty of bias in this "comparison".
    HeyCori likes this.
  22. pdch's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
       #22  
    @irspecere, the type of idiotic statements you pointed out was my point here, not the fact he is comparing an iPad to a Surface, it was his results and reasons for them. If someone is going to sit down and compare them, and say the iPad4 has the better processor, is a wash on input/output, and the Pro is shy about its, OS - then I say the person is an ***** and has no idea what they are talking about.

    I do encourage everyone to email this ***** and request he learn something about computing before ever putting hand to keyboard again.
  23. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #23  
    Think its about time somebody set up a site a la metacritic - but for the reviewers of new tech. All the latest reviews are pooled and the public get to give said reviewer a score out of 10 while people with hands on experience of said device can offer device reviews themselves with scores out of 100.

    Think it would make life a lot fairer and would probably stop a lot of the facepalms.
  24. HNNNNNGHHH's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    699 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    Ah yes, the ignorance that is present in ever Apple fanboy out there is here to haunt us even to this very day.

    I stopped reading when I saw the OP mention the iPad 4. I weigh a device's usefulness by its capability and functions provided from its core OS. Sure, Apple gets all the apps and third party developer support, but Windows 8 is a fully fledged OS, not a mobile platform optimized for a bigger screen solution and also looks EXACTLY like its mobile counterpart. Tell me something that iOS has that Windows 8 can't do.

    When Apple decides to have the next iPad running OSX, perhaps I'll have a look at it. For now, any recommendation from anyone involving the use of an iPad over any other device will be considered as flame-war banter material.
  25. treetownal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    35 Posts
    #25  
    Calling the input and output capabilities of each a wash is grounds for being hit with a frying pan. Surface offers displayport, USB 3.0, SD mini, keyboard input, pen, Apple offers proprietary dock connector. Wash? How does someone whose synapses are so obviously defective remember to breath?
    Talderon likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The most expensive app I've ever seen!
    By HeyCori in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 08:10 AM
  2. Windows Phone 7.8 ROM is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.
    By MathiasVerden in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 07:30 AM
  3. Is this the worst product roll-out you have ever seen?
    By steve_w_7 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 07:40 PM
  4. the strangest thing you have ever eaten thread
    By ironsoulreaver in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 09:19 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 08:56 PM

Posting Permissions