17" Surface Pro?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Recently, I've been looking around for a replacement for my 17" VAIO laptop. But for some reason, I haven't found any vendor that sells them with a touchscreen. So as a compromise, I am now considering an AIO Sony Tap or the Dell XPS 18. But those aren't laptops. I much prefer a laptop for home use, than desktop.

So my question is, do you guys think its reasonable to hope for a 17" Surface Pro? Do you think there is going to be a market for it or is everyone fixated on going smaller for our computing needs?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Recently, I've been looking around for a replacement for my 17" VAIO laptop. But for some reason, I haven't found any vendor that sells them with a touchscreen. So as a compromise, I am now considering an AIO Sony Tap or the Dell XPS 18. But those aren't laptops. I much prefer a laptop for home use, than desktop.

So my question is, do you guys think its reasonable to hope for a 17" Surface Pro? Do you think there is going to be a market for it or is everyone fixated on going smaller for our computing needs?

There is always hope, but I would not bank on it. There is no clear roadmap for the Surface and I think it would be a little premature to speculate at this point as it has only been out a month and a half.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
There is always hope, but I would not bank on it. There is no clear roadmap for the Surface and I think it would be a little premature to speculate at this point as it has only been out a month and a half.

This is true. MS is probably still waiting to see how this all plays out.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
17 inch laptops do not sell. There are portability issues as well as they are expensive. Even Apple stopped production of the 17 inch MAC Book Pro. I really am hoping for a 13 inch surface myself. :)
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
17 inch laptops do not sell. There are portability issues as well as they are expensive. Even Apple stopped production of the 17 inch MAC Book Pro. I really am hoping for a 13 inch surface myself. :)
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I would really love for you to be wrong, but something tells me you're right.

ComCypher

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think 17" is probably too large for something being marketed as a tablet. I can relate to your troubles though, since I went through the same dilemma a few months ago when shopping for a new laptop. Initially I was looking for a 17" Windows 8 laptop with a touchscreen that could also play high-end games. I was able to meet all of those requirements except for the touchscreen, but then I figured since I was planning to get a Surface Pro as well it wasn't so important if my laptop could support touch. And incidentally I'm now using my laptop more as a desktop anyway, since it's much less transportable than the Surface.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think 17" is probably too large for something being marketed as a tablet. I can relate to your troubles though, since I went through the same dilemma a few months ago when shopping for a new laptop. Initially I was looking for a 17" Windows 8 laptop with a touchscreen that could also play high-end games. I was able to meet all of those requirements except for the touchscreen, but then I figured since I was planning to get a Surface Pro as well it wasn't so important if my laptop could support touch. And incidentally I'm now using my laptop more as a desktop anyway, since it's much less transportable than the Surface.
At that screen size it will probably be marketed more as an All-In-One desktop than as a tablet. But a 17" Surface Pro with the same type/touch cover, except full sized (possibly with a numeric pad), would be so much more transportable than any 17" laptop or AIO desktop available today, because of how thinner and lighter it would be. I'm not looking for a gaming rig. I simply want a larger screen to watch videos and do everyday stuff on. Give me an i5-i7, HD4000, 256GB SSD, 8GB ram, 17" screen, and a bunch of ports in a Surface form factor and I'll be a happy camper. :)

Which laptop did you end up getting, if you dont mind me asking?

ComCypher

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Which laptop did you end up getting, if you dont mind me asking?

I got a slightly customized version of the one here:

MSI Notebook Official Website - Product Preview Page

If you look at the dimensions you will see what I mean about its portability. I had also considered the Razer Blade 2 and the ASUS Zenbook Touch U500VZ (only 15") which are both more portable but were either pricier, had lesser components, or were simply impossible to buy anywhere.

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got a slightly customized version of the one here:

MSI Notebook Official Website - Product Preview Page

If you look at the dimensions you will see what I mean about its portability. I had also considered the Razer Blade 2 and the ASUS Zenbook Touch U500VZ (only 15") which are both more portable but were either pricier, had lesser components, or were simply impossible to buy anywhere.

Wow that's a beast of a machine. If there was a smiley to convey envy properly you would see it here >

ShipWreck

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I think a 17in Surface Pro would be good there are users out there that do want a bigger screen so I think it would do well plus it would make it easier to see things as well. The Dell XPS 18 is not too bad you can use it like a laptop or a tablet and the specs are not too bad either I think it's due out next month plus you can use it like a laptop or sit with it at home plus traveling with it would not be too bad either. So the more options you have the better so it will all depend on what your looking for. If they did not do a 17inch then a 15 inch would be I think the next best size to do. Just my 2 cents.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I think a 17in Surface Pro would be good there are users out there that do want a bigger screen so I think it would do well plus it would make it easier to see things as well. The Dell XPS 18 is not too bad you can use it like a laptop or a tablet and the specs are not too bad either I think it's due out next month plus you can use it like a laptop or sit with it at home plus traveling with it would not be too bad either. So the more options you have the better so it will all depend on what your looking for. If they did not do a 17inch then a 15 inch would be I think the next best size to do. Just my 2 cents.
Exactly. I agree.

ShipWreck

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
We will just have to wait and see but I would not be surprised to see MS do more with their Surface products heck maybe have a device like the Notes but call it the "Surface Glove". Of course they could always make a phone as well so there is allot of things they could do with the Surface just depends on how the demand goes. I think with MS opening more stores in the US and getting it more in the world market it will do well but right now to me it's still to early to tell.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There will be a HUGE update later this year to the Windows 8 platform (supposedly this will be the Windows Blue) that will allow Windows 8/RT to be run on smaller tablets (7"-9" range). Prices are expected to be in the $199-$399 range for these tablets. Will Microsoft have a smaller Surface? They are not saying, but who knows. There are no speculations on a larger tablet at all.

Source: Appy Geek (sorry, no link)

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
There were rumours a while ago that Microsoft is planning a 7" and a 15" Surface. If that comes true I would absolutely buy the 15". I have a Surface RT at the moment and one of my complaints is that the screen is too small to comfortably use for extended work, such as typing up a long essay. A 15" Surface that's as thin as the Surface RT would be crazy awesome!

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
a 17" tablet would likely weight 5lbs or so...

Most would argue that is far too large, Id be among them. 2.5-3lbs is my tipping point. It would be difficult to even palm such a device and balance it.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
a 17" tablet would likely weight 5lbs or so...

Most would argue that is far too large, Id be among them. 2.5-3lbs is my tipping point. It would be difficult to even palm such a device and balance it.
But it won't be used as a tablet primarily. I want it as a desktop, like I use my laptop. But with the ability to travel with if I choose to. I used to travel with my 17" VAIO when I would be out the country for several months at a time. Last year I spent 6 months in Asia. Essentially, a home away from home. So I'm sure a Surface 17" would be so much more lighter than traveling with any other 17" laptop currently in the market. But if you've never traveled with anything larger than a 15" laptop, I'm sure a 17" sounds intimidating.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
There will be a HUGE update later this year to the Windows 8 platform (supposedly this will be the Windows Blue) that will allow Windows 8/RT to be run on smaller tablets (7"-9" range). Prices are expected to be in the $199-$399 range for these tablets. Will Microsoft have a smaller Surface? They are not saying, but who knows. There are no speculations on a larger tablet at all.

Source: Appy Geek (sorry, no link)

Thank you. I don't need the link anyways. I know exactly what you're referring too. I've read several articles from CNET and Engadget on the matter.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
There were rumours a while ago that Microsoft is planning a 7" and a 15" Surface. If that comes true I would absolutely buy the 15". I have a Surface RT at the moment and one of my complaints is that the screen is too small to comfortably use for extended work, such as typing up a long essay. A 15" Surface that's as thin as the Surface RT would be crazy awesome!
I'm not sure if I would buy a 15". I already have my 10" Surface. I think there isn't too much a difference for me. I think I'll stick to 10"- 12" for travel and portability purposes and a 17" minimum for desktop purposes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle