Considering Getting Surface Pro...

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Here's the situation, basically my work is offering me compensation on the 64 GB model. All in all with a touch or type keyboard, I'm looking at 50% off. I'm in desperate need of a PC, given our house uses mostly Apple products. The Lumia 920 just does not do well with my MBP in regards to syncing. However, I do have some questions, because I'm not sure if I want this or if I should just get a true blue laptop instead. I plan on using this mainly for travel/work laptop, but will be storing some things here and there for entertainment purposes.

1. Given the fact you only get 29 GB to actually use (if I'm correct), how has everyone fared with that? Whether it's a game or two to simply putting your media on there.

2. Is the Surface Pro the one people complain about the charger or is that the RT?

3. Compared to other tablets, how does it feel using it vertically?

4. The Verge review complained how the kickstand isn't very good when it comes to resting on your lap. This would be a primary position when using the Surface. Is this true?

5. Any known bugs or issues?

6. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Toast95135

May 2, 2013
Visit site
1. I dunno, I bought the 128gb version. It's possible to delete some stuff off the ssd to make more room, you can install the 8gb recovery onto a USB drive, and can free up something like 6gb if you disable hibernate mode.

2. No issue with the charger, I could keep the cable facing down though because the way the wire bends when facing up will eventually cause it to wear and short out.

3. It feels the same holding vertical as other 10 inch 16:9 tablets, personally almost never use it like that though.

4. I watched their review too and I have no issues using the kickstand on my lap. If I'm sitting down on the couch I usually hold it and use as a tablet, but sitting in my lap with the kickstand and keyboard works just fine too.

5. Not really. The main complaint with a lot of people was the lack of pen pressure sensitivity in programs like Photoshop but that got fixed yesterday. Edit: Sometimes the Pro won't play nicely with N wireless routers, but disconnecting and reconnecting usually fixes that.

6. If you really like having the portability/form factor of a tablet and want the power of an actual computer then YES! I love my Nexus 7 and the Android tablets I had before (including the transformer) but they aren't able to do any real work. The tradeoff with all the power is battery life, the SP is an ultrabook in a tablet body so be prepared to need to charge it like you would a laptop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes