How To: Optimize Microsoft Surface Pro Battery Life

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Very good tips for maximum power saving and like it says Microsoft will also be updating with tweaks to make it more battery efficient.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Very good tips for maximum power saving and like it says Microsoft will also be updating with tweaks to make it more battery efficient.

The only setting that I found worthwhile for reading all of that was the Maximum Processor setting set down to 75%. Everything else was basically the same as the built-in Power Saving plan.

I also prefer to disable hibernation completely to gain space on my SSD, so I weighted a little more heavily towards sleep than shut down since hibernation is not even available as an option in there once it is disabled.

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I've updated the article. Over the past few months of using the Surface Pro, I've managed to get more aggressive with the settings and eek out a consistent 6-7 hours of battery life, with an ultimate record of just over 8 hours. Settings should work just as well on Pro 2 to get even better battery life.

I lean toward Hibernation optimization rather than sleep, however. IMHO, the 4-5 seconds of resume time is more than worth the savings you get in battery life. Sleep is faster to wake up, obviously, but it's just not battery friendly.

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys forgot about this, have fixed link.

Ever since upgrading to 8.1 I've noticed the WiFi will go all funny after about 40min of use, and I have to reboot to fix it. Anyone else?

Could be these battery settings, might switch to power saving profile and see what happens.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
My Wi-Fi has been acting odd since 8.1 and my Surface Pro, even with these settings, seems to not want to sleep and something runs (and the unit gets hot when not in use) to run the battery down... :(

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
My Wi-Fi has been acting odd since 8.1 and my Surface Pro, even with these settings, seems to not want to sleep and something runs (and the unit gets hot when not in use) to run the battery down... :(

I've noticed this too. Sleep drains the battery very fast. So I just use hibernate instead. Works much better.

Chinmay Trivedi

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi.. I got my surface pro two days back, and I was wondering, if the new Wi-Fi drivers you suggested, do indeed work properly and well help in extending the battery life - I can't find much info on what these drivers do better than the older ones, and so I am skeptical on should I install them or not. Once again thanks for this post, to help get more juice out of the surface pro!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi.. I got my surface pro two days back, and I was wondering, if the new Wi-Fi drivers you suggested, do indeed work properly and well help in extending the battery life - I can't find much info on what these drivers do better than the older ones, and so I am skeptical on should I install them or not. Once again thanks for this post, to help get more juice out of the surface pro!

Well, the new WiFi drivers fixed Miracast performance for me, but I didn't notice any improvement in battery life. I dunno, maybe there was, but they are surface pro specific and were released in November to first gen Surface Pros. There's no reason not to download them

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Wondering how you guys are faring with your battery life after using these tweaks for a while. The $599 Surface Pro is a good deal but battery life is a concern on the older chip. I'll be doing mostly consuming media with some desktop work thrown in but not much gaming, maybe a store app here or there while my 8" tablet is charging. Thanks.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the battery tips. That definitely helped battery life for the Pro substantially. As the original article states. 6-7 hours is a reasonable time I am getting out of it for a few days now. The downside of the rather aggressive power settings is that it may be annoying sometimes when it goes to sleep too early or needs to wake up. My RT was always there.
But you get a full OS with the Pro. I could not resist the 599 deal and will sell my RT on ebay next....

Laurence Lau

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Is everyone else getting around 6+ hours following this config?
My estimation is between 4-5 hours with this config and an even lower display brightness of 20% and dims to 15%. The processor speed is set to a max of 50%. This estimation is just doing normal work of pdf editing and web browsing (no streaming or gaming).

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am getting roughly 5-5.5 hours. I don't do much though, just browse with IE11 metro.

Is everyone else getting around 6+ hours following this config?
My estimation is between 4-5 hours with this config and an even lower display brightness of 20% and dims to 15%. The processor speed is set to a max of 50%. This estimation is just doing normal work of pdf editing and web browsing (no streaming or gaming).

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Pro 2 now, but I was consistently getting 6+ hours. Now, it DOES depend on what you're doing. You can't, for example, edit video or watch movies or play high end games and expect to get 6+ hours of battery. But for writing in Word, checking email, light web browsing, writing notes in OneNote, that sort of thing--easy 6 hours, and sometimes more.

On Pro 2, using these settings has so far gotten me around 9 hours of actual usage. Again, doing heavier work changes that, so you do need to take that into account. Demanding tasks are called such for a reason, after all :).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3