Automatic Tethering to Windows Phone

jaceot

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed this today. I have:

Windows Phone 8 (521 updated to the latest GDR3)
Surface Pro (running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center)

When I go look at my Wireless connections, my phone showed up as available. At first I thought I had turned on internet sharing on and left it on accidentally. I rarely connect my surface to my phone. The connection showed up as my phone's name, not the name I had assigned in the Windows Phone Internet Sharing settings.

I checked my phone and the Internet Sharing settings said it was OFF!

I went back to the surface and clicked on my phone in the Wireless settings. It didn't want to connect and claimed limited internet. I checked my phone and now noticed that the Internet Sharing had been turned on.

I tried to join the network again and this time it connected perfectly. It now showed the connection as the name I had selected on the Windows Phone Internet Sharing settings.

I turned off Internet sharing again. The my phone was still showing. I clicked it and it started the Internet Sharing feature without me having to touch the phone and connected perfectly.

I checked my HP desktop which is also running Windows 8.1 and it does not see my phone.

I am not sure if this is a feature of Windows Phone 8 GDR3 or the Surface Pro 8.1 It seems really neat and handy though to be able to access your phone's internet without having to even touch it.

jaceot

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The 521 can be found for as little as 80 bucks sometimes. It must be Windows Phone 8 thing, I am wondering if it's GD3 or all versions of Windows Phone 8

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
The 521 can be found for as little as 80 bucks sometimes. It must be Windows Phone 8 thing, I am wondering if it's GD3 or all versions of Windows Phone 8

I watched a video posted from pocketnow and they demonstrated this feature. I think it is Windows 8.1 and gdr 3 feature. My phone running gdr 3 but i'm not able to do that with Windows 8 laptop.

jaceot

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I watched a video posted from pocketnow and they demonstrated this feature. I think it is Windows 8.1 and gdr 3 feature. My phone running gdr 3 but i'm not able to do that with Windows 8 laptop.
Ok, I think I get it. I got my HP to work too. You have to turn on bluetooth, I pretty much leave that on all the time. You have to pair the computers. They don't need to be connected though. Once you have paired them once, the pc will be able to see the phone as an available wireless connection.

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
This is a new feature of GDR3 Windows phone, with the new Windows 8.1.

You pair the devices via bluetooth. This creates a static entry in your wireless networks. Whenever you connect, the phone turns on internet sharing. It's super slick!

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this is by far the best feature of GDR3, and it doesn't seem to get much attention. It requires the PC to have Win 8.1 though, but if you have 8 already the upgrade is a free no-brainer.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
This is a new feature of GDR3 Windows phone, with the new Windows 8.1.

You pair the devices via bluetooth. This creates a static entry in your wireless networks. Whenever you connect, the phone turns on internet sharing. It's super slick!

WTF?! Does this work with at&t?

So I can pair a Windows 8.1(not RT) tablet with a Nokia 1520 and share the Nokia 1520's data connection with the tablet?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes