Type Cover 2 Not Working

x4me2

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that the Type & Touch 2 covers would function with the original Surface Pro. Knowing this, I decided to sell my Type Cover 1 and purchase a cyan Type Cover 2.

When I got home from Best Buy with my new Type cover I immediately tried to use it. The cover lit up but none of the keys would work. I tried everything listed on MS support page and the keyboard would still not function. I even refreshed the Surface to no avail.

I just went to Best Buy to return it and tested other version 2 covers and the surface still did not detect them. However, when the keyboard was attached to a Surface Pro 2 it functioned.

And for clarification, my orignal Type Cover 1 had no issues with my Surface Pro. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that they still haven't pushed the drivers to support the new cover. Or maybe they have! Did you make sure everything is updated in your surface pro (especially after a refresh)?

And not just normal Windows updates. Did you update your surface pro to 8.1? They probably won't support 8.

The best buy surface pro are usually not updated and so I won't expect it to work there.

x4me2

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yup my Surface Pro was already updated to 8.1 and I refreshed it since it wasn't working then updated again. Nothing. I'm a launch week owner of the Surface Pro.

The cover worked on the display model Surface 2 but won't function on my Pro.

Now I'm keyboard less :(

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a type cover 2 with my Surface Pro 1 and it works flawlessly. The touchpad is a little slow at responding(this could be normal) and the device won't show up in trackpad settings app. But aside from that, it started working the first time I clicked in!

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression that the Type & Touch 2 covers would function with the original Surface Pro. Knowing this, I decided to sell my Type Cover 1 and purchase a cyan Type Cover 2.

When I got home from Best Buy with my new Type cover I immediately tried to use it. The cover lit up but none of the keys would work. I tried everything listed on MS support page and the keyboard would still not function. I even refreshed the Surface to no avail.

I just went to Best Buy to return it and tested other version 2 covers and the surface still did not detect them. However, when the keyboard was attached to a Surface Pro 2 it functioned.

And for clarification, my orignal Type Cover 1 had no issues with my Surface Pro. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Have you looked to see if there is anything wrong with you keyboard port on the bottom of your surface? Maybe it is dirty or dusty causing a bad connection? Possibly slightly damaged(hopefully not).

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem and it was fixed by a Windows update that install drivers available on 10/22. The trackpad worked but the keys didn't.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

garyjk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
are you sure you had all of the drivers and firmware updates installed?
firmware update for Surface Pro from 10/7
"Various device driver updates to enhance the Windows 8.1 update experience, and optimizations for using Type Cover 2 or Surface Touch Cover 2."

MorganSmith52

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. In my case, the function keys would work and the touch pad would work but none of the other keys worked. I tried windows updates but it didn't find any so then I went into device manager and saw I had an "unknown device". I right clicked on it and selected update driver and it found the drivers. Now it's called "Surface Type Cover Filter Device" and all the keys work.

berlinrobertberlin

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately me and some friends still experience the same issue: type cover not working except for the touchpad and the function keys. there are two unknown devices in the device manager, but they cannot be repaired or - if they are deleted - are installed again as unknown devices...

Is there any known fix to this issue?

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft released a path with a lot of new drivers and one of them is for the new type cover.
Download Surface Pro 2 firmware and driver pack from Official Microsoft Download Center

Download Surface Pro firmware and driver pack from Official Microsoft Download Center

2 Folders (SurfaceTypeCoverFwUpdate and SurfaceTypeCover) under Microsoft

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought the new typecover 2 and am having some annoying issues. scrolling is terrible and adjusting in settings doesnt help. The trackpad app wont recognize the cover either. Touch home button doesn't work either when cover is attaced.

Got in touch with Surface support, which encouraged me to refresh without affecting files, but i dont wanna do that because it Means i have to re-update to 8.1 and install all metro apps again.

Sorta dissapointed that a 135euro keyboard dont Work straigt outta the box. Gonna try the driver packs, see if that helps.

Last edited:

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Is weird, I used a type cover 2 with the original surface pro and it works out of the box (on windows 8.1 with all the updates). If I remember correctly it was not working on windows 8. The only problem I'm having is that occasionally it will restart the surface when flipped back, not sure if is a problem with the connector. It doesn't do that with the old covers.

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Type 2 cover for my Surface Pro and all has worked ok since purchase, both with Surface Pro and Type 2 Cover/Keyboard, if I had purchased a keyboard from PCWorld or where-ever and it did not work, then it would go back to shop immediately, so your quite right having paid over ?100 for it, it should work.

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
But can u guys adjust scrolling in settings? Does ur trackpad app from Microsoft acknowledge the keyboard. I actually tried trading mine for a new one, same thing. Also tried it w 2 other pros. No change. So i dont believe u Guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss