connected standby-"instant on" update?

Buren06

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been considering getting a surface pro-although, I don't know if the several second delay to wake it from sleep would come to annoy me after a while. I know that 64 bit Windows doesn't yet have connected standby capability, so this is necessary.

My question is-is connected standby something that is dependent on the architecture of the processors themselves? Or is there a chance that surface pro users may get an update allowing more instantaneous wake times once connected standby is available for 64 bit windows?

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Neither the Surface Pro nor the Surface Pro 2 support connected standby. That came from the Reddit AMA with the Surface team. Source below. Now to the real issue. Maybe you don't fully realize what connected standby is.. Basically, connected standby is the same thing as regular standby except with connected standby, periodically the machine will create a network connection and pull down some new data so it is current when you turn the computer back on. It doesn't speed up the return to awakeness from standby. I would go to a computer store and test out how long it takes for the Surface Pro (and 2) to come out of standby and then make your decision.

Cheers,
Jonathan

kaworu1986 comments on Hi, I’m Panos Panay, Corporate VP of Surface at Microsoft. Ask me Anything!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit