Help!!! 8.1 update 1 has broken the on screen keyboard audio feedback

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys and gals,
I'm posting here because unlike MS support, you folks actually know what you're talking about. Since the 8.1 update, we have next to no volume on our touch keyboard for Surface Pro. If I crank the volume to 100, I get a teeny, tiny bit of audio feedback when typing but something is definitely broken. Music, videos, movies, volume is fine. It's only the audio feedback on the touch keyboard. Any ideas, thoughts, fixes? All the usual crap tried (toggle is on, audio enhancements, re-boots galore etc.). I'm just tired of the canned responses from MS support telling you to click links which you've already told them you've tried in your previous post.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you can help.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've moved this to the Surface Pro forum, since this is something that is specific to the Surface Pro and would not apply to all Windows 8.1 users.

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hate to burst your bubble, but this is not Surface Pro specific, it is update 1 specific. People will the Dell Venue Pro, and the Asus Vivotab are just two that I know have been reported with the same issue.

We have tried a uninstall/reinstall of the keyboard driver as well as a two button reset on top of the usual trouble shooting steps. Any suggestions?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hate to burst your bubble, but this is not Surface Pro specific, it is update 1 specific. People will the Dell Venue Pro, and the Asus Vivotab are just two that I know have been reported with the same issue.
I'm using the onscreen keyboard on my Surface Pro to type this reply and it does have audible feedback.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked sound devices and confirm the Speakers are default (when no headphones plugged)?

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

vw65bus

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I too just purchased a surface pro, after update no sound. I purchased a touch cover last night and it has sound. Not sure what's up with the keyboard having sound and not the onscreen keyboard. Hopefully someone will chime in and have a solution,

MRBrownkatt

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully, I'm replying to the full thread. This issue does not apply to just surface users. I have a Lenovo twist updated to Windows 8.1. After the update my touch keyboard audio feedback volume dropped considerably. All other audio on my computer works great. In fact it works too well considering I have to turn the volume all the way up just to barely here the keyboard.
That all being stated, I did see and try to remove update KB2919355. That apparently is the cause or part of the cause to the problem as stated on other blogs. That seemed to work but I have to remember to keep removing it every time my computer does an automatic update. I wonder if MS will create a fix for this?

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was just my tablet. The spund isnow gone on my Fujitsu tablet. Not only that but I use the number pad to log into my computer. The sound is gone but also you can't see the keys depress any more on the keypad. Very annoying. Not sure which update did that. Right now my Samsung Tablet is ok. i haven't looked to see what updates i have installed but it's crazy that windows 8 was basically made for tablets and touch and the first thing to go with updates is the touch. Aren't update written on tablets? Aren't they tested on tablets?

Corvin Adkins

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
The same thing with my new HP Envy x2 13t and with our family Dell Inspiron Touch. Both were affected after the update. The volume went down and I have tried a bunch of different methods to get it back up on both of them and even contacted support. Support couldn't find a solution. They offered me a return or a complete reformat to see if that would fix it but I refused. Everything else works fine on both machines. It is only the volume on the Keyboard issue. I came here hoping to find a solution. :( Unfortunately none. So no it is not just one type of computer.

:eck:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers