Original Pro still worth buying?

separry51

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy currently has the original Surface Pro 256GB version for $650. I'm sorely tempted to purchase, but I'm wondering if it is a good buy considering the release of Surface Pro 3 in a month. Those of you that still have the original Pro, are you still happy with it? I know all the issues - heat, battery, etc., but I'm curious if you would still consider it a good purchase. I figure it this way - the 256GB model of the Surface 3 is $1299 plus another $139 for the type cover - after tax it's $1500. The original Surface 256GB plus type cover - $800. That's a fairly significant discount, even if it isn't the most current hardware. So, what are some thoughts?

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I still love my original Surface Pro. I really want to get the Pro 3, but even with all of the upgrades they've made, I'm having trouble justifying the money that would be spent to get one. The Pro 1 still does everything I need (and then some), the Pro 3 will just do it better. Is that worth it? I still haven't decided, but I will say that for $800, you'd be getting a great deal on a great machine.

gangolfus

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
As long as you are not a super mega power user and can deal with the well documented issues you mention, I see no reason not to buy one. While it is 2 generations old at this point, those generations have been fairly short. This product is really only just over 1 year old technology, so its not like you are buying super antiquated tech. An iPhone 5 is older technology age-wise than a Surface Pro.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure all the issues. The only issue I ever had was the battery but it was fixed with the Battery Type Cover.

It is still a great buy, It still runs windows 8.1 and runs it great. I am getting around 8 hours of battery life now with my power cover. I have no heat issues or other issues.

The pen is great and works great in One Note. And the screen size is perfect. If you have the money I would get the Surface Pro 3. If you hIad a choice between the Original Pro or the Pro 2 based on cost, I would clearly go with the Original Pro.

If you get the Original Pro, do not get the keyboard, rather get the power cover for $199.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I love mine, though running games it gets overly hot (LoL and SW:TOR) and can flake out. The kickstand can be annoying, but I still really love. I really used the pen and one note for the first time today for sketching network changes instead of paper and having it sync to my PC to take notes on was fantastic.

I would buy another surface at this point in it's life.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
as long as you can live with the shortcomings of the original Pro (battery life, single position kickstand, and heat), it's a wonderful computing device. fast. great display. digital pen.

256 GB is awesome. I don't really think I have a lot installed on my SP2 with 256 GB. I've only had the device for a short time with some key programs installed (Office 2013, Creative Suite 5, Acrobat, etc.) and I'm down to 147 GB free. That's with no PC games installed and with me installing and having all my data files on my 64 GB microSD card.

Compared to what an SP2 or SP3 would cost, they're not sooo much better to be worth the price difference.

I love my SP2 to death. But if I was strapped for money, I would totally get the SP.

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey there,

We picked up the 128GB Pro for $499 and other than the battery life, it's a great device. The hardware holds up fine and has run everything we throw at it without issue. I'm glad we didn't pay more because in our opinion, the original $1000 price tag was too much vs. the shortcomings of the product. With that said, you need to decide whether or not the price equates your needs i.e. will I get $800 worth of usage out of the product. Most people don't buy what they need, they buy what they want and then ***** and moan about it later. I can't stress enough how absolutely terrible the battery is and if you can live with that, go for it.

Sent from our Surface RT

separry51

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to say I found a returned Surface Pro 128GB for $100 off the regular price. I got it and the power type keyboard.

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I've seen many deals on the original Surface Pro too. The problem for me is the uncertainty of the Surface Pro 2. If that gets reduced right after I get one of the Surface Pros, I think I might kick myself! Right now only the UK has its priced reduced, but I think it'll be a good idea to wait until closer to the Surface Pro 3 release.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I've seen many deals on the original Surface Pro too. The problem for me is the uncertainty of the Surface Pro 2. If that gets reduced right after I get one of the Surface Pros, I think I might kick myself! Right now only the UK has its priced reduced, but I think it'll be a good idea to wait until closer to the Surface Pro 3 release.
If you can wait, that's a good thing, but I'd be surprised to see any widespread clearance prices on the Surface Pro 2. Microsoft has already removed it from their online store. edit:Thanks to ytrewq for pointing out the restored SP2 page. There was never the glut of inventory for the SP2 as there was for the SP1. There may be some local sales based on a particular store's inventory on hand, but I doubt anything on a large scale.

Last edited:

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My Surface Pro is the best device I've ever owned. I admit that in a perfect world I'd love to have a bigger screen and thinner form factor but that was never a prior complaint of mine, nor do I think objectively that the screen is too small or that it is too heavy. (I do lift, bro.) The only real criticism is the battery life, but I have adjusted my mindset and try to keep it topped off whenever I can. I have never run out of juice, even with airplane flight and travel use. In a nutshell, I think it is still worth buying for people looking for value.

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Since its cheaper now, I think it's even more worth it! I'm a student so I use it ALOT. I often go to coffee shops but in my carrying bag, I always carry an extension cord. So yes, the battery does run low, but I always have the means to charge it. Just feel bad when people trip X=

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I bet it still is worth it especially for that price!

I am leaning towards a laptop upgrade and this looks like a great deal.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App for Android!

Glpc2504

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I've just had a 128gb SP1 + Type Cover delivered from the US for $450 and so far i'm very impressed. It's the most portable computer I've owned since the netbook fad and yet it actually has enough power to make it productive. I'm currently getting 3.5hrs battery out of the device but considering the price I paid versus the cost of a new power cover I'm very happy.

The only thing I am struggling with is locating a genuine surface stylus - all UK stores seem to be out of stock.....any ideas why this is?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss