48w Aftermarket Power Supplies. Anybody using one?

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

I've had this Surface Pro not even a week and I must say, for my personal requirements it's light years ahead of my old Surface 2. I intend on using the device in 2 locations so I'd like to get an additional 48w power supply and maybe a power cover, but in the UK, these things are so expensive, or very few and far between.

Is anyone using an aftermarket power supply? I'm reluctant to just pick one off the web in case it fries the Pro, but some of the more experienced users may well have found an alternative. I have a spare 24w one but it doesn't charge the Pro whilst in operation.

As for the docking station & power cover, I guess I will be ordering those Stateside.

gangolfus

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I ended up buying a used, genuine extra power brick from Amazon for my Surface Pro 1. Not risking frying the device or burning down my house seemed worth the extra money. It was more expensive than the cheap knockoffs, but less expensive than a new one. I do not regret my decision.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes that makes perfect sense. I don't know of a reputable manufacturer making anything aftermarket for Surface devices, other than some ill-fitting cases. Great for Microsoft, not so great for us I guess. I ordered a genuine 48w model but it's been lost in the post I fear. Am awaiting clarification or a refund.

As far as portable chargers are concerned, I've always paid for originals, but the Surface ones seem so fragile. I got through 2 chargers on my Surface 2. Having one permanently plugged in at each working location solved the problem as the cables weren't being stressed so much.

I am presuming you can charge a Surface from the docking station? If so, mybe that would be the better solution for me.

andy roddy

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I got a genuine charger for about $30 on eBay. A third party charger on amazon was about half the price, but I didn't want to risk having to pay for a replacement SP in a few months to a year, so I paid the extra $15.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty, I would not recommend a 3rd party charger for the Pro. I read reviews on many of them from all over and even though most of them were given 5 star reviews, there was always 2 complaints from all of the ones I looked at:

1. No magnetic connection, so have to keep the device pretty still or have the charger fall out
  2. They all had the chance to "spark" when trying to connect it to the device which would either damage the charger or the device

I say that it is not worth the risk to be honest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3