surface pro 1 with windows 10

chw6922

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone still using SP1 pro running win 10? I updated my 8.1 to 10 on the first day when 10 was released officially. Couple issues i'd like to share and hopefully advanced folks here can help me resolve.

1. it is somewhat lagging when trying to log in windows after putting in password at start up
2. the multi tasking window is no longer as intuitive as with 8.1
3. power consumption seems increase under regular use.

couple things i'd like to mention is that when i switch power setting to power, everything runs smoothly; however, if i want to save power, switch to balance setting, it tends to lag a bit when watching youtube clips.

any input is appreciated.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm also running what you have and have the same issues.

I have gotten used to it though and find the positives outweigh those negatives.

chw6922

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
thx for the response.

in your personal experience, have you come up any solutions to resolve these issues?
also, i was thinking to get the power cover which provides an extra 3 hour battery life. yet, the only con is that it does not have
black led keyboard which is a doom.

aside from all these, i was thinking what options we have to customize cpu clock speed, where i want to have a bit of power yet not to sacrifice power drain as power option in the setting.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't seem to have the login issue you mentioned but I agree with the multitasking window. I do miss some of the gestures we have under 8.1. Took some the touchscreen benefits away with the changes they made but overall I really like windows 10 compared to 8.1.

I haven't really noticed a battery drain but then again I don't usually use my SP without being plugged in because the battery wasn't great in the first place. I too want to get a power cover but haven't really felt the need since I don't use this device as my primary mobile computer.

tai schomaker

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I should have checked the LoveMySurface site before upgrading. They list the pros and cons of Win10 on SurfacePro. If any Cons applies to you do not upgrade.
In my experience the upgrade to Win10 has been really smooth at first. Easy install. Win10 is more elegant. And the stock Apps like News are back.
But Win10 also reminds you that your SurfacePro is just 10", everything is kind of smaller than in 8.1. I had to reconnect my Bluetooth devices first. Then I noticed the volume control has not been working, I couldn't find a fix. Also licensed Desktop Apps needed activation again. Some old Apps I need for work where not running anymore. Finally all gestures I got used to in 8.1 have changed. No more left swiping between open Apps, no more back swipe to access the previous page in Edge, no more swipe up to see hidden Apps in the start menu, no more search charm. Win10 felt more like a good upgrade to Win7 and must be a relief for mouse users lost in 8.1.
But I own a SurfacePro 10" and decided to rollback to my previous 8.1 configuration. This has been the most awkward. I got remnants of Win10 in 8.1. Most Apps, like calendar, mail and others where completely screwed. That brought me to restore a EaseUS ToDo BackUp of my system prior to the upgrade. Praying for an hour that no funny message saying "there is an unknown error in my MBR" will pop. I should have performed the BackUp on a USB3 HDD to get things faster.
I lost a couple of hours to get back to my initial 8.1 configuration. But I got a glimpse into Win10. I may upgrade some day I want to perform a clean install of my computer. I might also get forced, as 8.1 doesn't seem to be supported anymore. Everybody is getting the new Apps from Microsoft, even iOS, but not the last Windows.

Last edited:

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The multitasking window is different, but I find myself running the SP in desktop mode more than tablet mode. Touch still works fine though, so I don't mind it. I've really had no issues upgrading it from 8.1 to 10. If you do have issues, the recommendation is typically to do a fresh reinstall of 10.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786