Drop it like it's hot

Panasonic's Toughbook CF-33 is a ridiculously rugged 2-in-1

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Can you handle the truth?

What Apple's latest iPad ads say about Microsoft and Windows

Forecast is cloudy

Windows 10 Cloud will run Win32 apps, but only from the Windows Store

Excessive in a good way

GTX 1050 in a 15-inch convertible? Lenovo went there

Windows goes galactic

Revealed: Samsung's Surface Pro-like Galaxy Book, running Windows 10

We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. cj-m's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
  2. the_coolestnerd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    65 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    engadget just posted that it might sell for $199..... unbelievable but if its true i'm so buying one on launch day Microsoft Surface for Windows RT tablet coming October 26th for $199? -- Engadget
  3. pedenske's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by the_coolestnerd View Post
    engadget just posted that it might sell for $199..... unbelievable but if its true i'm so buying one on launch day Microsoft Surface for Windows RT tablet coming October 26th for $199? -- Engadget
    I don't think that anyone who even thought about it could resist to buy one for that price!
  4. cj-m's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    306 Posts
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    i know.... $ 199 is a very tempting initial price. That makes me even more hopeful for the Win Pro! :D
  5. dwayne.williams's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    If Microsoft priced the surface that low, I think that a ton of people would buy it. If I was in the market for a tablet I would definitely be one of them.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    The $199 price is almost certainly the down payment of an essentially-financed device (through a jacked-up price Xbox Gold or Xbox Music subscription), just like the $99 Xbox 360+Kinect. It's not that you actually get an Xbox+Kinect for $99; you just pay that up front. By the end of two years, you've paid $460 for the Xbox, Kinect, and two years of Xbox Gold.

    I suspect the $199 Surface RT will include $20/month Xbox Music (price is normally $10/month), so it'll cost you about $440 by the end of two years. It's sa good deal if you'd buy Xbox Music subscriptions anyway, just like the $99 Xbox is a good deal if you'd subscribe to Gold anyway.
  7. dwayne.williams's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I agree. They want you to buy the hardware so that they can nickel and dime you on the services.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  8. Mitlov's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    390 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwayne.williams View Post
    I agree. They want you to buy the hardware so that they can nickel and dime you on the services.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    You say that like paying $500 up front is better than paying $200 now and $300 over the next two years. It isn't.
  9. dwayne.williams's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    You say that like paying $500 up front is better than paying $200 now and $300 over the next two years. It isn't.
    I didn't indicate that either scenario was better or worse.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  10. checkit20's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    I just can't believe the $199 price. I'm having trouble thinking $300 is going to be the entry level price for a RT tablet. ZDNet agrees too.
    Is the Microsoft Surface a Premium Device? Surface Geeks Surface Geeks

    I'm just kinda hangin out waiting for it to ship and not knowing the price is killing me!
  11. Rico's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    The $199 price is almost certainly the down payment of an essentially-financed device (through a jacked-up price Xbox Gold or Xbox Music subscription), just like the $99 Xbox 360+Kinect. It's not that you actually get an Xbox+Kinect for $99; you just pay that up front. By the end of two years, you've paid $460 for the Xbox, Kinect, and two years of Xbox Gold.

    I suspect the $199 Surface RT will include $20/month Xbox Music (price is normally $10/month), so it'll cost you about $440 by the end of two years. It's sa good deal if you'd buy Xbox Music subscriptions anyway, just like the $99 Xbox is a good deal if you'd subscribe to Gold anyway.
    If they go the route of subsidization, I really don't see them inflating the Xbox Music price. More likely, they'll offer a bundle or bundles with various Xbox services and various prices for the Surface, including a revamped Xbox Video service which hopefully has an all-you-can-eat element that goes beyond music videos. I'd bite on a $199 Surface RT that includes music and video subscriptions, provided I could keep my old school "ten free" Zune account.
  12. Getintothegame's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Not entirely related, but Microsoft has recently updated the Microsoft Store website. There's new promo for the Surface, and I dug up one .jpg that may have not been used before.

    New: http://dri2.img.digitalrivercontent....oming_Soon.jpg

    Interesting, not "coming soon": http://dri2.img.digitalrivercontent....ot_Surface.jpg
  13. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Getintothegame View Post
    Not entirely related, but Microsoft has recently updated the Microsoft Store website. There's new promo for the Surface, and I dug up one .jpg that may have not been used before.

    New: http://dri2.img.digitalrivercontent....oming_Soon.jpg

    Interesting, not "coming soon": http://dri2.img.digitalrivercontent....ot_Surface.jpg
    Well we basically already know the release date. So this isn't surprising with October here.

Posting Permissions

";