Surface RT pricing revealed

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
surface-pricing.jpeg

DETAILS

Who says that pretty can’t be practical? It’s time for a tablet that’s more than meets the eye. Powerful processing and beautiful design unite on Surface. Whether you’re working hard or hardly working, Surface’s integrated Kickstand and revolutionary Touch Cover let you work, play, and connect with others like never before. Plug into external displays like projectors and HDTV, and share your world1. Pre-loaded with Windows RT, Microsoft Office 2013 RT2, Xbox apps, and other essentials.

Product Features

VaporMg™ casing

Made with VaporMg, Surface is precision crafted to be tough yet elegant, without excessive bulk. At less than 1.5 pounds, with a watch-like finish that’s incredibly smooth, and durable, Surface is a delight to hold and touch.

Integrated Kickstand

Integrated Kickstand provides uncompromised support and flexibility. Flip out the Kickstand for hands-free entertainment. Whether you’re watching a movie, or shooting video, Surface stands on its own.

Touch Cover

The cover you can type on. Touch Cover clicks in to Surface in an instant, and offers a sleek, spill-resistant exterior for working – no matter where you find yourself. When folded back, Touch Cover automatically disables keystrokes for a full touchscreen experience; when closed, it turns off your display. Black Touch Cover is included with purchase; additional colors (White, Cyan) are sold separately – give Surface your personal touch with a color that matches your style.

Ports and Connectivity

Bring your entire media collection with you wherever you go. A microSDXC card slot lets you add up to 64 GB of extra storage. Show off everything on the big screen using the HD video out port. Full-size USB port and Bluetooth 4.0 provide clutter-free connections with wireless mice and headsets. Dual 2x2 MIMO antennas provide reliable internet connectivity.

Windows RT and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview

Work anywhere, anytime with Windows RT and Office 2013 RT2. Keep tabs on news, friends, and entertainment with pre-loaded Microsoft apps. Visit the Windows Store to discover more apps and games.

Front and rear-facing 720p HD video cameras

Capture life from all sides with LifeCam. The rear camera is angled to shoot straight ahead when the Kickstand is flipped out. The Kickstand also enables hands-free Skype video chat or recording. Custom lens design and an ambient light sensor maximize light intake while providing sharp focus so you'll never miss a shot.

In the box

Surface with Windows RT and Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview2
Black Touch Cover
Power supply
QuickStart Guide
Safety and warranty documents

Specs

OS | Windows RT, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview

EXTERIOR | Dimensions: 10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37 in • Weight: Less than 1.5 lbs • Casing: VaporMg • Color: Dark Titanium • Physical buttons: Volume, PowerSTORAGE | 32 GB • 64 GB

DISPLAY | Screen: 10.6" ClearType HD Display • Resolution: 1366 x768 • Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (widescreen) • Touch: 5-point multi-touchCPU | Chip: NVIDIA T30 • System memory: 2 GB RAM

WIRELESS | Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) • Bluetooth 4.0 technologyBATTERY | Up to 8 hours mixed activity • 7-15 days idle lifeCAMERAS | Two 720p HD cameras, front and rear-facingVIDEO | Two microphonesAUDIO | Stereo speakersPORTS | Full-size USB 2.0 • microSDXC card reader • Headphone jack • HD video out port • Cover port

SENSORS | Ambient light sensor • Accelerometer • Gyroscope • MagnetometerWARRANTY | 1-year limited hardware warrantyAPPS (included) | Mail • Messaging • Word • Power Point • Excel • OneNote • SkyDrive • Internet Explorer 10 • Bing • Music • Video • Games • and more.

BLACK TOUCH COVER

DIMENSIONS | 7.4 x 11.0 in • 3 mm thinWEIGHT | 0.46 lbsCOLOR | Black • Additional colors (White, Cyan) sold separatelyKEYS | Activation: Pressure-sensing input • Layout: QWERTY

INTERFACE | MagneticSENSORS | AccelerometerWARRANTY | 1-year limited hardware warranty

The hardware warranty for this product is only valid in the countries listed in the warranty. Shipping the product to or use in countries not listed in the warranty may void the warranty and your product may not be eligible for in warranty or paid warranty service. Please read the hardware warranty and support details carefully before you purchase this product.

[1] HD Video Out also requires the HD Digital AV Adapter or VGA Adapter (each sold separately).

[2] Microsoft Home and Student 2013 RT Preview edition installed. Final Office Home & Student version will be installed via Windows Update when available (free download; ISP fees apply). Some features and programs unsupported. Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview and the final version are not for use in commercial, nonprofit, or revenue generating activities. Commercial license options available (sold separately).

[3] Surface with Windows RT works exclusively with apps from the Windows Store.

[4] Surface comes with a guaranteed one-year limited warranty. If you’d like additional protection of your Surface, you can purchase an extended support plan (Microsoft Complete for Surface).

[5] Not available in all countries.

Pre-order by October 24th and get free shipping.*

*Shipping offer valid on select products until 11:59 PM on 24/10/12. Limit 1 pre-order per customer. Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion. Shipping not available to PO Boxes.

Help me choose

Touch vs. Type Cover

Touch Cover and Type Cover are revolutionary ways to click in and do more with Surface. With full keyboards, touchpads, and Windows and media shortcuts, you can type, chat, blog, and get stuff done, faster! Both covers click into Surface easily, and protect your display when folded closed.

Touch Cover is an amazingly thin and ultra-light dual keyboard cover, with a spill-resistant surface, it comes in several vibrant colors to express your personal style.

Need to do more, faster? Try Type Cover, the dual keyboard cover that lets you work the way you’re used to working. With a full row of function keys, Type Cover marries the comfort and speed of a traditional keyboard with an incredibly thin form factor so you can be productive anywhere, anytime.

Your purchase of Surface with Windows RT includes a sleek black Touch Cover. Other vibrant colors are also available for individual purchase. If you prefer a more traditional work experience, consider purchasing an additional Type Cover.

Windows RT vs. Windows 8

Windows RT contains many of the same features as Windows 8:

Fluid, intuitive, and easy-to-use interface design that you can easily customize.
Built in apps like Mail, Calendar, Messaging, Photos, and SkyDrive with many more apps available in the Windows Store.
Internet Explorer 10, for fast, intuitive browsing.
Touch-enabled so you can interact with Windows in a whole new way.
Mouse and keyboard–enabled so you can be as productive as you need to be.

Windows RT also includes some different features:

Windows Update and Windows Defender are always on and up to date making your PC more secure.
Device encryption provides advanced data protection to help keep your information secure.
The PC can turn on instantly with connected standby.
Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview is preinstalled2.

Some features aren't included in Windows RT:

Windows Media Player
Windows Media Center
HomeGroup creation (you can join an existing HomeGroup but you can't create a new one)
Remote Desktop
Domain join

Although you can install apps directly from the Windows Store, you can't install apps on the desktop on Windows RT. Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview Edition comes preinstalled2, which provides you with touch-optimized desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.

You can only install printers, mice, keyboards, and other devices that are certified for Windows RT.

So, thought I'd make a thread for it cos it's really hard to follow new comments on the news, you end up having to check all of the old comments for replies too.

Price is as I was expecting. Naturally I wouldve hoped for less, but I knew it would come to this. I'm from Europe, Finland and the way the price conversions usually goes for tech is that you replace the $ with € and you have your price, even if 600€ is far more than 600$. However, I was already set on going up to 600€ for this, so it seems we are still inside budget.

Seems that the Canadian store didnt have all the colours.. I would really want the red one to match the red Lumia 920, but if the Canucks dont get red, I doubt Finland does either at least upon launch.

Just waiting on word on European pricing and availability...

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the preorders sold out in 15 mins and the page was yanked away too.

The canadian site was up at least a while back: Microsoft Store Canada Online Store - Surface with Windows RT

EDIT: Not sure if you meant whether that picture is from the official website, and the answer is yes. Same thing with less colors and canadian dollars in link above (unless yanked too)

EDIT2: Canadian site yanked too. Damnit :D Luckily I didnt refresh my page yet with the Canadian store. I also copy pasted anything I want to check later cos I knew this would happen. I got the official specs around.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Somehow I was hoping it not to have a Tegra, but I had to check some videos of the Asus Vivo Tab RT cos it has Tegra 3 as well, but it seemed to manage just fine.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Some new prices up for following countries:

Australia - English
Canada - English

Canada - Fran?ais
Deutschland - Deutsch

France - Fran?ais
United Kingdom - English

United States - English

Microsoft Store Online

Y U NO FINLAND?!

I wonder if the language on the OS is changeable? I could manage with a german keyboard layout, but despite knowing some german I want it in english at the very least :D

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Last edited:

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This confuses me a bit: "Your purchase of Surface with Windows RT includes a sleek black Touch Cover. Other vibrant colors are also available for individual purchase. If you prefer a more traditional work experience, consider purchasing an additional Type Cover."

Why say this if not all price points offer Touch Cover?

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This price is low enough to have me interested, but too high for me to say I'm for sure in. Pending Dell announcing their RT prices, and all other manufacturers announcing official US pricing, for me it is coming down to the Lenovo Lynx and the Surface RT. If the Atom processor can deliver a satisfying experience with full Windows 8, having full Windows 8 is worth the $100 premium. If it isn't a great experience but the Tegra in the RT offers a great experience, then I will go with the Surface RT (so long as no $399 RT devices are announced)

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Windows RT is officially dead. The Surface is cheaper than other RT products; but it's still much too expensive with the likes of iPad, Nexus 7, and Windows 8 Pro counterparts. Not touching this tablet with a 10 foot poll. WP8 will suffer from the weakness of RT as well. Thanks a lot, Microsoft.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Pricing looks OK to me, although I expected the keyboard/cover to be less than $100.

Still waiting for pricing on the Pro version though. I plan on using it, for the most part, to replace my notebook.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'd have preferred it to be $100 cheaoer but, I'm quite okay with this price. Just need to replace my dying DVP first though before I can justify putting the cash into this purchase so, I probably won't be lining up at my local MS Store to pick one up on the first day (although I will probably still be stopping by to check it out in person and play with it a bit). Now to wait (impatiently) and see what top-end WP8 phones show up soon on carriers other than AT+T.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
This confuses me a bit: "Your purchase of Surface with Windows RT includes a sleek black Touch Cover. Other vibrant colors are also available for individual purchase. If you prefer a more traditional work experience, consider purchasing an additional Type Cover."

Why say this if not all price points offer Touch Cover?

I also found it slightly confusing. So to clarify, all 3 models do NOT include a touch cover. The cheapest one is ONLY the tablet and requires you to purchase it separately.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It has Home Office 2013 on it. Home Office 2010 is $119. If they offered a version without Office for $100 less, would that satisfy some people? You can always use the free office in Skydrive.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I also found it slightly confusing. So to clarify, all 3 models do NOT include a touch cover. The cheapest one is ONLY the tablet and requires you to purchase it separately.
That is how I'm reading it.

32 GB - $499
32 GB w/cover - $599

I think I will forego getting the cover at this time, as I would prefer the full keyboard that the Touch Type will offer. I'll get it later down the line.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I just received an email from Microsoft with a link to pre order a Surface starting at 9 am pacific time. Clink on the link and page cannot be found!

edit: It now works.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... for those lucky bastards who live in one of the 10 or so countries they sell it in atm -_-

I'm emailing both MS Finland and Germany trying to find out if there are any plans to sell it in Finland and if not, is the OS language changeable and if MS Germany ships to Finland :D

IM DESPERATE :(

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I managed to pre-order but they are still processing and have yet to receive my e-mail confirmation which has happened to me before on the site.

They may have sold out already as I just tried refreshing the page and the pre-order link goes back to the MS Store home page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre