Surface RT isn't Flagshippy

CatFoodScience

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Neither of the surface tables support NFC. I was excited to pair/share between a surface tablet and with my soon to be had WP8 and other devices like a printer. Other RT tables will support NFC so the surface doesn't seem flagshippy to me. Perhaps the hardware team forgot you can do more with NFC then simply pay for a coffee. I also was hoping to see an optional wireless charging feature.

I will rarely use the touch cover and kickstand. Anyone know if you can flip the cover all the way backwards, or if it can be docked backwards without turning off the screen?

I had hoped these devices would be as envelop-pushing as the Lumia 920.

I was hoping to see wireless charging, easy pairing and sharing, and wanted to see Microsoft selling the multi-user support. These are untapped capabilites that can set this tablet apart from ipads and android tablets but instead they are touting a $120 keyboard cover on a touch-first device. :mad:

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Neither of the surface tables support NFC. I was excited to pair/share between a surface tablet and with my soon to be had WP8 and other devices like a printer. Other RT tables will support NFC so the surface doesn't seem flagshippy to me. Perhaps the hardware team forgot you can do more with NFC then simply pay for a coffee. I also was hoping to see an optional wireless charging feature.

I will rarely use the touch cover and kickstand. Anyone know if you can flip the cover all the way backwards, or if it can be docked backwards without turning off the screen?

I had hoped these devices would be as envelop-pushing as the Lumia 920.

I was hoping to see wireless charging, easy pairing and sharing, and wanted to see Microsoft selling the multi-user support. These are untapped capabilites that can set this tablet apart from ipads and android tablets but instead they are touting a $120 keyboard cover on a touch-first device. :mad:

You are asking for A LOT of features that would only add to the total cost, which will turn buyers away. The cost of the RT running Surface seems like a lot (to many people) already. Wireless charging, NFC, multi user support (RT model only has 2GB of memory), etc., thats just going to make the Surface more expensive and less appealing when an iPad can be had for $399.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
You are asking for A LOT of features that would only add to the total cost, which will turn buyers away. The cost of the RT running Surface seems like a lot (to many people) already. Wireless charging, NFC, multi user support (RT model only has 2GB of memory), etc., thats just going to make the Surface more expensive and less appealing when an iPad can be had for $399.

Wait, what? I thought RT had multi user support.

CatFoodScience

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
NFC support is built into the OS and should be a default feature like it is in all WP8 handsets. It's so user friendly it should be included.

Wireless charging should be optional addition like the touch cover.

Win8 already support multiuser, they just aren't focusing on this awesome feature, instead they are advertising keyboard ("Click!" and kickstand) which I find sad on a touch-first device.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
NFC support is built into the OS and should be a default feature like it is in all WP8 handsets. It's so user friendly it should be included.

Wireless charging should be optional addition like the touch cover.

Win8 already support multiuser, they just aren't focusing on this awesome feature, instead they are advertising keyboard ("Click!" and kickstand) which I find sad on a touch-first device.

Unfortunately, most consumers are blinded by click and kickstand. The majority aren't geeks like here on the forum.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm really interested in NFC for WP8, but in a tablet? i'm not sure i can think of any real killer applications for it.

Wireless charging i completely agree with, a nice wireless charge pad would go down a treat.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

The cover will flip to the back of the device. The accelerometers will also recognize this and turn off the keyboard to avoid accidental presses.

CatFoodScience

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm really interested in NFC for WP8, but in a tablet? i'm not sure i can think of any real killer applications for it.

Wireless charging i completely agree with, a nice wireless charge pad would go down a treat.
I'm not an NFC expert but it has a lot of potential for awesome! It can easily pair two devices to communicate over the nfc radio, bluetooth radio, or via wifi depending upon the amount of data you are transferring.

Share a recently discovered app between your phone and tablet just by bumping.

Got to catch a bus but aren't done reading a cool wpcentral article on your tablet? Bump and pass along the url to your phone.

Want to add a friends xbox live ID to your friends list? bump n done. No need to type and search.

Need to pair your tablet to xbox 720 for some smartglass action.... you get the idea.

Its offers a natural way to interact with devices and share without the overhead of figuring out IPs, passcodes, or other cryptic device pairing methods that make Bluetooth and workgroups a pain for the average user.

In the future I wouldn't be surprised to see the next xbox/ps3 include NFC to help pair not only controllers but phones, tablets, laptops, and other things too.

blackprince

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an NFC expert but it has a lot of potential for awesome! It can easily pair two devices to communicate over the nfc radio, bluetooth radio, or via wifi depending upon the amount of data you are transferring.

Share a recently discovered app between your phone and tablet just by bumping.

Got to catch a bus but aren't done reading a cool wpcentral article on your tablet? Bump and pass along the url to your phone.

Want to add a friends xbox live ID to your friends list? bump n done. No need to type and search.

Need to pair your tablet to xbox 720 for some smartglass action.... you get the idea.

Its offers a natural way to interact with devices and share without the overhead of figuring out IPs, passcodes, or other cryptic device pairing methods that make Bluetooth and workgroups a pain for the average user.

In the future I wouldn't be surprised to see the next xbox/ps3 include NFC to help pair not only controllers but phones, tablets, laptops, and other things too.
I think you should wait to see what Smart Glass will bring to the table, I think we all be surprised.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that NFC would not work through the casing of the surface.

Wireless charging would of been nice.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I have seen several people here mention that the Surface RT tablet "only" has 2 GB of memory. Would someone please point out another mainstream tablet with more than 1GB of memory? I will take 2 GB, plus 32 GB storage, plus a MicroSDXC slot, plus a full size USB port, etc., etc.. BTW, iPads do not have wireless charging a standard feature (you can buy pricey aftermarket products) and the $399 iPad has none of the above. Personally, I have no interest in any devices with NFC enabled since it is still as much a security weakness as it is anything else.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think that NFC us more useful in a phone than a tablet. Many of the sharing ideas presented in this thread are between your phone and tablet. Pair them via Bluetooth on day 1 and then they stay connected for all types of sharing. My Pre3 and TouchPad had amazing sharing but no NFC.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
What do you need NFC on a 10 inch tablet for? The only reason why people here want it is because they want the 920. But the vast majority of people won't use NFC for anything on a Tablet. Unless they plan on bringing it shopping with them and want to tap the pad with a massive tablet.

And the battery in a tablet is far bigger than your cell phone. Wireless charging would be a chore.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It does have multiuser support! My last gripe is that the feature they are touting regarding RT is the keyboard. Sorry if that was confusing.
Well that may be because Microsoft chose to include Office 2013 on RT, which is a huge feature. So aside from playing music, videos and games on other tablets, the RT will actually be a productivity tool that students could use in class, business users can bring into a quiet boardroom, and casual users can post their heart away on Facebook or chat via Messaging. All good uses for a keyboard.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
No way a SAT GPS chip and antenna could cost more than $10, why couldn't the Surface have had that? Now all I get in the maps app is a map. Does not know where I am unless I am on wifi. Ipad is the same deal and same cost. Not sure how MS could not have included it for less as they are not apple with their 400% markup.

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It is the flasgship becuase it comes from microsoft. The nexus hardware never pushes boundries but its still considered flasgship.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium