Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1.    #1  
    Neither of the surface tables support NFC. I was excited to pair/share between a surface tablet and with my soon to be had WP8 and other devices like a printer. Other RT tables will support NFC so the surface doesn't seem flagshippy to me. Perhaps the hardware team forgot you can do more with NFC then simply pay for a coffee. I also was hoping to see an optional wireless charging feature.

I will rarely use the touch cover and kickstand. Anyone know if you can flip the cover all the way backwards, or if it can be docked backwards without turning off the screen?

I had hoped these devices would be as envelop-pushing as the Lumia 920.

I was hoping to see wireless charging, easy pairing and sharing, and wanted to see Microsoft selling the multi-user support. These are untapped capabilites that can set this tablet apart from ipads and android tablets but instead they are touting a $120 keyboard cover on a touch-first device. :mad:

Global Posts
    1,045 Global Posts
    I wasn't expecting it to be the flag ship in the first place. I was expecting it to be Microsoft`s RT offering, and that`s all.
    My next phone...

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFoodScience View Post
    Neither of the surface tables support NFC. I was excited to pair/share between a surface tablet and with my soon to be had WP8 and other devices like a printer. Other RT tables will support NFC so the surface doesn't seem flagshippy to me. Perhaps the hardware team forgot you can do more with NFC then simply pay for a coffee. I also was hoping to see an optional wireless charging feature.

I will rarely use the touch cover and kickstand. Anyone know if you can flip the cover all the way backwards, or if it can be docked backwards without turning off the screen?

I had hoped these devices would be as envelop-pushing as the Lumia 920.

I was hoping to see wireless charging, easy pairing and sharing, and wanted to see Microsoft selling the multi-user support. These are untapped capabilites that can set this tablet apart from ipads and android tablets but instead they are touting a $120 keyboard cover on a touch-first device. :mad:
    You are asking for A LOT of features that would only add to the total cost, which will turn buyers away. The cost of the RT running Surface seems like a lot (to many people) already. Wireless charging, NFC, multi user support (RT model only has 2GB of memory), etc., thats just going to make the Surface more expensive and less appealing when an iPad can be had for $399.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfiive View Post
    You are asking for A LOT of features that would only add to the total cost, which will turn buyers away. The cost of the RT running Surface seems like a lot (to many people) already. Wireless charging, NFC, multi user support (RT model only has 2GB of memory), etc., thats just going to make the Surface more expensive and less appealing when an iPad can be had for $399.
    Wait, what? I thought RT had multi user support.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    Wait, what? I thought RT had multi user support.
    It does have multiuser support! My last gripe is that the feature they are touting regarding RT is the keyboard. Sorry if that was confusing.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    It does have multiuser support! My last gripe is that the feature they are touting regarding RT is the keyboard. Sorry if that was confusing.
    Yeah, I was just pointing out CatFoodScience's gripes. That was confusing. :D
  7.    #7  
    NFC support is built into the OS and should be a default feature like it is in all WP8 handsets. It's so user friendly it should be included.

Wireless charging should be optional addition like the touch cover.

Win8 already support multiuser, they just aren't focusing on this awesome feature, instead they are advertising keyboard ("Click!" and kickstand) which I find sad on a touch-first device.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    NFC support is built into the OS and should be a default feature like it is in all WP8 handsets. It's so user friendly it should be included.

Wireless charging should be optional addition like the touch cover.

Win8 already support multiuser, they just aren't focusing on this awesome feature, instead they are advertising keyboard ("Click!" and kickstand) which I find sad on a touch-first device.
    Unfortunately, most consumers are blinded by click and kickstand. The majority aren't geeks like here on the forum.
    Developer

NFC support is built into the OS...
    Would you at least potentially be able to add NFC via a USB dongle then?

I'm really interested in NFC for WP8, but in a tablet? i'm not sure i can think of any real killer applications for it.

Wireless charging i completely agree with, a nice wireless charge pad would go down a treat.

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The cover will flip to the back of the device. The accelerometers will also recognize this and turn off the keyboard to avoid accidental presses.
    Thanked by:
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    I'm really interested in NFC for WP8, but in a tablet? i'm not sure i can think of any real killer applications for it.

Wireless charging i completely agree with, a nice wireless charge pad would go down a treat.
    I'm not an NFC expert but it has a lot of potential for awesome! It can easily pair two devices to communicate over the nfc radio, bluetooth radio, or via wifi depending upon the amount of data you are transferring.

Share a recently discovered app between your phone and tablet just by bumping.

Got to catch a bus but aren't done reading a cool wpcentral article on your tablet? Bump and pass along the url to your phone.

Want to add a friends xbox live ID to your friends list? bump n done. No need to type and search.

Need to pair your tablet to xbox 720 for some smartglass action.... you get the idea.

Its offers a natural way to interact with devices and share without the overhead of figuring out IPs, passcodes, or other cryptic device pairing methods that make Bluetooth and workgroups a pain for the average user.

In the future I wouldn't be surprised to see the next xbox/ps3 include NFC to help pair not only controllers but phones, tablets, laptops, and other things too.

I'm not an NFC expert but it has a lot of potential for awesome! It can easily pair two devices to communicate over the nfc radio, bluetooth radio, or via wifi depending upon the amount of data you are transferring.

Share a recently discovered app between your phone and tablet just by bumping.

Got to catch a bus but aren't done reading a cool wpcentral article on your tablet? Bump and pass along the url to your phone.

Want to add a friends xbox live ID to your friends list? bump n done. No need to type and search.

Need to pair your tablet to xbox 720 for some smartglass action.... you get the idea.

Its offers a natural way to interact with devices and share without the overhead of figuring out IPs, passcodes, or other cryptic device pairing methods that make Bluetooth and workgroups a pain for the average user.

In the future I wouldn't be surprised to see the next xbox/ps3 include NFC to help pair not only controllers but phones, tablets, laptops, and other things too.
    I think you should wait to see what Smart Glass will bring to the table, I think we all be surprised.

I thought I read somewhere that NFC would not work through the casing of the surface.

Wireless charging would of been nice.

Global Posts
    1,080 Global Posts
    I have seen several people here mention that the Surface RT tablet "only" has 2 GB of memory. Would someone please point out another mainstream tablet with more than 1GB of memory? I will take 2 GB, plus 32 GB storage, plus a MicroSDXC slot, plus a full size USB port, etc., etc.. BTW, iPads do not have wireless charging a standard feature (you can buy pricey aftermarket products) and the $399 iPad has none of the above. Personally, I have no interest in any devices with NFC enabled since it is still as much a security weakness as it is anything else.

Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    I think that NFC us more useful in a phone than a tablet. Many of the sharing ideas presented in this thread are between your phone and tablet. Pair them via Bluetooth on day 1 and then they stay connected for all types of sharing. My Pre3 and TouchPad had amazing sharing but no NFC.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    What do you need NFC on a 10 inch tablet for? The only reason why people here want it is because they want the 920. But the vast majority of people won't use NFC for anything on a Tablet. Unless they plan on bringing it shopping with them and want to tap the pad with a massive tablet.

And the battery in a tablet is far bigger than your cell phone. Wireless charging would be a chore.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Well that may be because Microsoft chose to include Office 2013 on RT, which is a huge feature. So aside from playing music, videos and games on other tablets, the RT will actually be a productivity tool that students could use in class, business users can bring into a quiet boardroom, and casual users can post their heart away on Facebook or chat via Messaging. All good uses for a keyboard.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

Global Posts
    1,591 Global Posts
    No way a SAT GPS chip and antenna could cost more than $10, why couldn't the Surface have had that? Now all I get in the maps app is a map. Does not know where I am unless I am on wifi. Ipad is the same deal and same cost. Not sure how MS could not have included it for less as they are not apple with their 400% markup.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    It is the flasgship becuase it comes from microsoft. The nexus hardware never pushes boundries but its still considered flasgship.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,803 Global Posts
    NFC? In a tablet? You seriously gonna drag that thing to check out counters and gas pumps? And the next question is, how will you get a data connection to access your nfc at these locations being that the Surface doesn't have data unless it's on wi-fi?
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I guess partially people wouldve wanted it for easy/fast coupling of NFC enabled phones for example?