Lingering Questions RE: Surface RT

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

Like many of you, I was going to hold out for a Surface Pro. But after serious reflection, I'm thinking that a Surface RT may be sufficient. I have a few lingering questions with which I hope that some of you may be able to help:

1. SkyDrive. Does anyone know how the SkyDrive app will work for Windows 8 RT? Will it automatically download files to your hard drive, the way that the program for Windows 7 works? Or will it work like the Windows Phone app, where you need a connection to view the files?

2. Video. The specifications page for the Surface RT says that it doesn't come with Windows Media Player, but that it does come with an app named "Video." I'm just not quite sure what to make of this. What limitations will I experience if I don't have Windows Media Player? Surely it must support playback of my own video files!

3. Printers. It's a deal breaker for me if the RT version will give me any lip if I try to print. I've read up a lot on this subject, and it seems like the RT version should support most printers, but I'm unfamiliar with how ARM architecture works and maybe just need some reassurance from people who are more in the know than I am.

That's all, I think. It would be great if the RT version fit my needs, as I don't really feel like shelling out the money for a Pro version if I don't have to.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing about SkyDrive. I have a feeling that it will work like WP8. There are two SkyDrive apps in the Windows 8 store, but I think the one that syncs to the hard drive might be a pro only app.

On my desktop PC I installed windows on an SSD and moved my user files to a secondary hd and sync that to SkyDrive. I was hoping to do the same with my surface RT by moving the user files to a 128GB SD card.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing about SkyDrive. I have a feeling that it will work like WP8. There are two SkyDrive apps in the Windows 8 store, but I think the one that syncs to the hard drive might be a pro only app.

On my desktop PC I installed windows on an SSD and moved my user files to a secondary hd and sync that to SkyDrive. I was hoping to do the same with my surface RT by moving the user files to a 128GB SD card.
I may have a partial answer about SkyDrive. I had a chat session with a representative of the MS Store, and asked if he had any information. I've attached a screenshot of that portion of the conversation. It looks like the RT app may sync.

SoundsLikeLife

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
2. The app named Video is Xbox Video. I'm not sure what the supported formats are for playing your own vids, but I'm guessing it's .wmv, .avi, and .mp4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss