Anyone else opting for the Ideapad Yoga after seeing the price of the Surface RT?

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I was always hesitant about the Surface RT because I wanted a device that has a little bit more capability, but with rumors flying about that the Surface would cost 199 I was intrigued. Even if that expectation was crazy, I was still expecting it to be about 100 dollars cheaper than it is now...

599 for the tablet and the touch pad keyboard! A little rich for me based on the capability, so today I went to Best Buy to check out the Yoga Pad and was really impressed, i5, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD and while it is a little more hefty than the surface it is nothing at all like a laptop in weight...plus for just 400 more it adds sooooooooo much more capability, if it was 500 or 600 more then I would probably be more inclined to stay with RT...

any one else feel similar? windows 8 is so awesome!

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I played with it a few days ago. I liked everything about it except the general flimsiness of it. It's a possibility for me, but I'm not sold on it. I'm excited to see the Dell XPS 12.

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
really? I didn't think it was bad, I tested the "tent" option and all that...Was slightly annoyed by the keys when holding it, but I think I am going to use it a little bit more as an ultrabook/laptop anyway.

Do you know if the Dell will have the same folding capability? because I do like that it is still tablet-like

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am opting for a Nokia tablet sometime in the future. I had the Surface pre-ordered this morning but cancelled. The lack of colors with the 64GB model, lack of NFC and the price really have just ruined it for me. Overall, I am very disappointed in the Surface launch. I think it could have been so much more, but silly little things are going to deter me.

I am fairly certain Nokia will come out with a tablet with NFC and mobile data at the same or cheaper price. And of course they will have color! So, I just hope they get one out before New Year. I am moving overseas and will need something by then.

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I am opting for a Nokia tablet sometime in the future. I had the Surface pre-ordered this morning but cancelled. The lack of colors with the 64GB model, lack of NFC and the price really have just ruined it for me. Overall, I am very disappointed in the Surface launch. I think it could have been so much more, but silly little things are going to deter me.

I am fairly certain Nokia will come out with a tablet with NFC and mobile data at the same or cheaper price. And of course they will have color! So, I just hope they get one out before New Year. I am moving overseas and will need something by then.

yeah, I am sort of crunched, would like a new device for work and I have been putting off buying a laptop for the Windows 8 tablet frenzy, so I like that the Yoga is here now versus 3 months for Surface pro!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
No. I honestly hate the concept of the Yoga. Having the keys exposed like that would constantly irritate me. Yes, it is "only" $400 more. Another way to say that is that for $100 more than a Yoga you could have TWO surface RT's with one TouchCover. Personally, I plan on getting the $499 Surface RT without the touchcover and decide later if I want it or not, cause if I do get the cover, I'd want red anyway.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
really? I didn't think it was bad, I tested the "tent" option and all that...Was slightly annoyed by the keys when holding it, but I think I am going to use it a little bit more as an ultrabook/laptop anyway.

Do you know if the Dell will have the same folding capability? because I do like that it is still tablet-like

When I went to push the lid back, I did it at the top corner, and the screen bent a lot. I liked the size and soft touch finish, but the dell is covered in soft touch as well. The folding mechanism is different in the dell, the screen flips around a hinge in the frame, and folds down over the keyboard... Which I prefer since the keyboard won't be laying on any dirty tables.

XPS 12 Convertible 12" Touch Ultrabook Details | Dell

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_1_qjL45c[/YT]

It would make a pretty small laptop, hopefully not too small. All the touch apps would work great, but I'll spend most of my time on the keyboard/trackpad in desktop mode. Which, IMO, is where this type of form factor exceeds, but where the surface falls short.

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
^^^Yeah, I like that, but I am not sure if I want to spend the extra 200 dollars on the covered keyboard since I will primarily use it as a laptop I think...

No. I honestly hate the concept of the Yoga. Having the keys exposed like that would constantly irritate me. Yes, it is "only" $400 more. Another way to say that is that for $100 more than a Yoga you could have TWO surface RT's with one TouchCover. Personally, I plan on getting the $499 Surface RT without the touchcover and decide later if I want it or not, cause if I do get the cover, I'd want red anyway.

You have a point, but I need the typing surface no matter what, I guess that is what is intriguing to me about the Yoga...plus I like the idea of full windows 8 running on it

incendy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If I didn't already have a nice laptop I would probably get the Yoga. Love that device, awesome screen, keyboard, touch.. only thing missing is a digitizer grrrrr.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
If I am spending more than 500 on a tablet, I am going to spend at least $1000 and make sure it's a beast. Right now my laptop is still going strong so no need to convert entirely to a hydrid/tablet.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The Yoga does look pretty nifty. It's looks like it's a laptop first, media player second, and tablet third. So if someone doesn't expect to use it like a tablet all that often, but does expect to use it as a laptop a lot, and watch movies, then it's a great choice.

I'm personally waiting to see how the Asus devices price out.

feedmylittletroll

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The Yoga does look pretty nifty. It's looks like it's a laptop first, media player second, and tablet third. So if someone doesn't expect to use it like a tablet all that often, but does expect to use it as a laptop a lot, and watch movies, then it's a great choice.

I'm personally waiting to see how the Asus devices price out.

I'm also waiting on Asus. Love the idea of the transformer book but it all depends on the price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss