Do you have to pay taxes if you pre-order online?

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, do you have to pay taxes if you pre-order the surface online?

I'm planning to buy several Surfaces and then post them on craigslist for a slightly high price. If no one buys, then I'll return it. I had a cousin who did this when the iPhone 5 came out and he made several hundreds. Does anyone think this a good or bad idea?

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm planning to buy several Surfaces and then post them on craigslist for a slightly high price. If no one buys, then I'll return it. I had a cousin who did this when the iPhone 5 came out and he made several hundreds. Does anyone think this a good or bad idea?
You do have to pay taxes yes.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

The answer to the question is rather simple. Microsoft does charge taxes as applicable. The specific policy is:

Shipping prices and tax depend on when and where the item is being delivered. There are no shipping charges for software downloads, but there may be tax, depending on state and federal tax laws. You can review the total purchase price, including shipping and tax, before you complete your purchase.

As to whether it is wise, I think they are one of the companies that does file complaints and litigate when you purchase products in volume through their consumer channels with intent to re-sell. They do, after all, have a full-fledged re-seller certification program. If they were to press the issue, you are also liable for taxes pretty much anywhere I have been in the US, and in counties and municipalities with applicable laws, you can be fined for operating a business without a license. Personally, I find the idea of making a few bucks off a price fixed product (while very capitalist) is rather ethically challenged anyway.

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The answer to the question is rather simple. Microsoft does charge taxes as applicable. The specific policy is:

Shipping prices and tax depend on when and where the item is being delivered. There are no shipping charges for software downloads, but there may be tax, depending on state and federal tax laws. You can review the total purchase price, including shipping and tax, before you complete your purchase.

As to whether it is wise, I think they are one of the companies that does file complaints and litigate when you purchase products in volume through their consumer channels with intent to re-sell. They do, after all, have a full-fledged re-seller certification program. If they were to press the issue, you are also liable for taxes pretty much anywhere I have been in the US, and in counties and municipalities with applicable laws, you can be fined for operating a business without a license. Personally, I find the idea of making a few bucks off a price fixed product (while very capitalist) is rather ethically challenged anyway.

Thanks for your thorough answer!

If I am going to buy a few surfaces to make a few bucks from it, I was actually only planning on 2 or 3, so I doubt I would get in any trouble. In fact, if I end up doing it, it would more of an experiment rather than actually trying to make lots of money.

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

Ya you would never get in trouble for that, microsoft could careless what you do with it because they already made a sale, if people stupid enough to pay more cause or because its sold out, unless you buy hundreds which would cost 1000's nobody is going to pay any attention, people do this all the time. Also where i live that wouldnt be considered a business if you do it one time not mention you arent required here to have any license for anything most the time lol. Amazon on the other hand does not charge taxes unless you live in a state where they have a warehouse, but there are states that have laws in place for that too, but almost impossible to reinforce that would be a bit shady buying from amazon but directly from microsoft, they are not gonna care. I mean if they sold out and you resell items why would they care thats like saying you cant sell something you own for more than you paid because someone would get mad, thats how retailers make a living.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb