Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

PCMag test stated battery life was good, with the Surface managing 7 hours 45 minutes in their video rundown test from its 31.5 WHr battery vs the iPads 10:54 from its 42.5 WHr battery.
    Personally I am a little disappointed the battery life is not better. There is a little bias in this review thought.
    i wish it were better as well. With my laptop having a broken battery, i am lucky to squeeze 30 min out of it, so for me its going to be an improvement from what i have and im excited about that.

But i totally agree that its sub par for its weight class!

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camptime View Post
    PCMag test stated battery life was good, with the Surface managing 7 hours 45 minutes in their video rundown test from its 31.5 WHr battery vs the iPads 10:54 from its 42.5 WHr battery.
    Personally I am a little disappointed the battery life is not better. There is a little bias in this review thought.
    For some strange reason Apple products are always listed at the top but I usually see them plugged in and charging (just like everything else). Yes, that was intended as sarcasm. I always take these numbers with a grain of salt. If it really lasts about 8 hours that would put it in line with what most mainstream tablets do in real world use.

Global Posts
    890 Global Posts
    The iPad has a bigger battery so it has better battery life. So what's the big deal?
    Xsever likes this.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Surface: 7.8 hours / 31.5 WHr = 0.25
    iPad: 11.95 hours / 42.5 WHr = 0.28

Here's the math for you!
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS

Quote Originally Posted by xsever View Post
    Surface: 7.8 hours / 31.5 WHr = 0.25
    iPad: 11.95 hours / 42.5 WHr = 0.28

Here's the math for you!
    so surface has better battery life according to the battery size

specs/math matter little in the real world. 3 hours difference is huge! Even if it come with with a bit more weight.

I can see the replies from the Apple bunch:

Mine is better to look at than yours,
    It lasts longer than yours. ;)

So we should see 10+ hours surfing the web reading ect?

Global Posts
    1,317 Global Posts
    So the bottom line is it's looking like Surface is a huge fail.

Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    So the bottom line is it's looking like Surface is a huge fail.
    I never said that.
    I have a surface on pre order,:) And looking forward to comparing it to my wifes Ipad 2.
    She is quiet often looking for a power point to charge the Ipad after 6+ hours of heavy use.

What we do need is a tablet that can go a full day without needing a power supply.

Looks fine to me...

According to the folks using it on a daily basis, it generally lasts around 10 hours under "normal" usage, slightly less if you do watch lots of video. However, if that's not your normal usage patterns (playing back videos and music for 8-9 hours with 50% brightness), you're likely to get closer to the magic 10 hour number.

Ultimately, get the device if you like it, or wait for more in-depth reviews if you're on the fence.

Global Posts
    1,317 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivman View Post
    So for browsing it's below all iPads and for video playback it's near the bottom. How is that "fine"? My god, every hour it's looking like Surface is a huge FAIL or epic proportions. The market is gonna reject this.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivman View Post
    Looks fine to me...

Click to view quoted image

I would love to be getting the quoted 15+ hours video playback on my Ipad 2.

There is no way ours comes even close to those numbers for video playback.
    iPad's batteries may last longer, but I have a feeling their charge time will also take much longer! What i got from one of the reviews was that the power supply for the surface is huge and charges it up in a jiff! And from experience with my moms iPad, the battery takes an ungodly amount of time to charge!

Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    iPad's batteries may last longer, but I have a feeling their charge time will also take much longer! What i got from one of the reviews was that the power supply for the surface is huge and charges it up in a jiff! And from experience with my moms iPad, the battery takes an ungodly amount of time to charge!
    Hope this turns out to be true. Think you are right about the Ipad charge time I remember the wife complaining about it not being fully charged even after 1.5 hours on the charger.
    Last edited by camptime; 12-18-2012 at 02:22 AM.

So for browsing it's below all iPads and for video playback it's near the bottom. How is that "fine"? My god, every hour it's looking like Surface is a huge FAIL or epic proportions. The market is gonna reject this.
    Its VERY CLOSE. Quit being a troll.

Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    I think one review said the device is charged to full from dry in 2 hours due to the power supply being big or smth.

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    It's already selling well based on pre orders. You are as stunned as the day is long. I'm hoping the Surface will continue to sell well even if just to see you weep quietly in a corner sucking your thumb.

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**
    My next phone...
    justop26 and berty6294 like this.

I just heard that the Surface RT charges from 0 to 100% in 80 minutes using the wall charger. Is this true?

My surface tablet lasted about 2 days of light to idle use on a single charge. Basically would watch TV for an hour and browse the internet and then go play some games on my desktop.. also it sits at home while im at work (i can't bring it to work for work related reasons) so that's 9 hours.. and then the 8 hours im asleep.. and about the 2 hours a day i spend dedicated to the dog.. So i might give it 4 or so hours of use a day... so that comes to 8 hours but with idle time it came to 2 days total.

Mine goes to the hospital with me from 7 am to 9 pm, charges my phone during the shift and still has battery left at the end of the day.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    this thread needs to be closed as it was an early build of RT, the November update made a huge difference on battery life, and once Microsoft figures out how to work with the battery saving core on the Tegra3 battery life will get even better. Folks, it is much better to have a Surface with the aggresive updates and support roadmap MS has, than with the short life of an iPad 2 3 4 4 6 whatever...

Global Posts
    2,408 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    I just heard that the Surface RT charges from 0 to 100% in 80 minutes using the wall charger. Is this true?
    Was going to note...the Surface charges...FAST.

Like seriously...absurdly fast.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    that's the design reason they went with a separate charger as opposed to USB since the max you can push through that is 5V. I need to plug the wall charger up to a Kill-a-Watt to see what the draw is (plus see if the wall charger is a power vampire)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast