Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jack1129
  • 1 Post By ninjaap
  • 2 Post By Joshua Jackson

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    64GB is up for 949.00. 32GB between $501 (bid) and $849 (BIN)

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PDCH View Post
    64GB is up for 949.00. 32GB between $501 (bid) and $849 (BIN)
    Not everything on Ebay gets sold.

Some people actually bought the 64GB + black touch cover for $729 GBP
    NEW MICROSOFT SURFACE WINDOWS RT 64GB Wi-Fi 10.6" INCH TABLET+ BLACK TOUCH COVER | eBay
    pmarting likes this.

that is what happens when you manage supply. Brilliant!!

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    several months later and eBay prices are still holding right at retail or just a little under. I've been trying to snag another Surface for fam but not satisfied with the lack of depreciation. That is good for MS and a sign that all the gloom and doom is unwarranted. Bad for me though as I can't snag a deal :)

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Stateside doesn't have the same luck. I always sort by completed auctions.

microsoft surface 32gb in iPads, Tablets & eBook Readers | eBay
    Last edited by nuprotocol; 04-03-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    most of those are just $100 off from their retail which is not much for a model that is now 6 months old. To hear all the gloom and doom you'd expect to see these at half price which is just not happening. I know that's the expectation I had when I started looking for a used one. It just isn't happening.

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    most of those are just $100 off from their retail which is not much for a model that is now 6 months old. To hear all the gloom and doom you'd expect to see these at half price which is just not happening. I know that's the expectation I had when I started looking for a used one. It just isn't happening.

Just $100? That's a decent chunk of change. You only see price drops like this when a device isn't selling well. Other RT devices, such as the VivoTab, are now being listed as "discontinued" on some sites.

The fact that you can get a full Win8 tablet/keyboard dock for the same price, or less in my case with the HP Envy x2, is killing RT devices. Well, is part of what is killing RT devices.

There's a reason why you hear all the gloom and doom.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Just $100? That's a decent chunk of change. You only see price drops like this when a device isn't selling well. Other RT devices, such as the VivoTab, are now being listed as "discontinued" on some sites.

The fact that you can get a full Win8 tablet/keyboard dock for the same price, or less in my case with the HP Envy x2, is killing RT devices. Well, is part of what is killing RT devices.

There's a reason why you hear all the gloom and doom.
    Curious to know how many of these Atom x86 machines, killing RT devices, have sold? We already know Surface RT broke 1 million.

Global Posts
    3,000 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Curious to know how many of these Atom x86 machines, killing RT devices, have sold? We already know Surface RT broke 1 million.
    Makes no difference, tbh. The OEM's have done their typical hopeless efforts at promoting and pricing the Atom tablets so I would not be surprised if their combined sales are less than the RT. Like with WP most of these OEM's are more into their android devices so are just going through the motions with their Windows machines.

Regardless, the Surface devices are the most visible W8 devices and the ones most likely to sell so I would be more interested to see how the sales of the Pro compare to the RT in another months time, that would be a more useful barometer of which OS consumers are adopting. However it turns out though it seems increasingly clear that RT is the harder sell and is just not making any headway in sales and OEM's are responding accordingly.

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I'd like to know too. But when you have a 32GB Surface with Windows RT sitting side by side with a Windows 8 hybrid for 25 bucks more, and with a keyboard dock, the choice is simple to the consumer.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    I'd like to know too. But when you have a 32GB Surface with Windows RT sitting side by side with a Windows 8 hybrid for 25 bucks more, and with a keyboard dock, the choice is simple to the consumer.
    Not really. You're assuming all consumers think and have the same needs/wants as you. So far sales have shown you are wrong.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Makes no difference, tbh. The OEM's have done their typical hopeless efforts at promoting and pricing the Atom tablets so I would not be surprised if their combined sales are less than the RT. Like with WP most of these OEM's are more into their android devices so are just going through the motions with their Windows machines.

Regardless, the Surface devices are the most visible W8 devices and the ones most likely to sell so I would be more interested to see how the sales of the Pro compare to the RT in another months time, that would be a more useful barometer of which OS consumers are adopting. However it turns out though it seems increasingly clear that RT is the harder sell and is just not making any headway in sales and OEM's are responding accordingly.
    I don't think we should compare Surface RT and Pro, because of the upcoming Blue update. If true, we may only get Windows RT on 7" tablets, because Windows Pro is just not practical on such a small screen. If 7" RT tablets survive, Surface RT has a fighting chance.

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Not really. You're assuming all consumers think and have the same needs/wants as you. So far sales have shown you are wrong.
    Consumers don't think, we all know that. They listen to what any sales person tells them. When not directing them to an iPad, they will direct them away from an RT device. I'm not for one side or another. I own a Surface RT (since release day) and a myriad of Windows devices, including the Envy x2.

I have no interest in consumers needs that are different from my own, I'm just using common sense. If I'm a normal consumer, and I see an RT device, and a Windows 8 hybrid device, and I can do more on the non-RT device for less, what do you think I'd choose?

It's not that one is "better" than another, that's all subjective based on your needs. But from a typical consumer standpoint of view, I'd always want more for my money. Yours and my definition of more may be different.

As far as sales go: 1 million sold when 4-5 million were expected to sell is a disappointment. There are 4 RT tablets on the market now? Manufactures are dropping the prices of the ones they made, and other manufactures are taking the "wait and see" approach, which we all know what that means.

Windows RT may be a great product and serve a purpose. It's just not it's time right now though.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Consumers don't think, we all know that. They listen to what any sales person tells them. When not directing them to an iPad, they will direct them away from an RT device. I'm not for one side or another. I own a Surface RT (since release day) and a myriad of Windows devices, including the Envy x2.

I have no interest in consumers needs that are different from my own, I'm just using common sense. If I'm a normal consumer, and I see an RT device, and a Windows 8 hybrid device, and I can do more on the non-RT device for less, what do you think I'd choose?

It's not that one is "better" than another, that's all subjective based on your needs. But from a typical consumer standpoint of view, I'd always want more for my money. Yours and my definition of more may be different.

As far as sales go: 1 million sold when 4-5 million were expected to sell is a disappointment. There are 4 RT tablets on the market now? Manufactures are dropping the prices of the ones they made, and other manufactures are taking the "wait and see" approach, which we all know what that means.

Windows RT may be a great product and serve a purpose. It's just not it's time right now though.
    I disagree with every single word you just typed! LOL But I'm not going to elaborate any further. I already started a thread on this subject before. So I'm done. :)

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I disagree with every single word you just typed! LOL But I'm not going to elaborate any further. I already started a thread on this subject before. So I'm done. :)
    There's a surprise :)

Bottom line is time will tell. And nowadays there's a device for everyone, even a Facebook phone, ugh.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    There's a surprise :)

Bottom line is time will tell. And nowadays there's a device for everyone, even a Facebook phone, ugh.
    This. We can agree on.
    NickA likes this.

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    I just won an eBay auction for $300.
    It's in great condition.
    ninjaap and HeyCori like this.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jackson View Post
    I just won an eBay auction for $300.
    It's in great condition.