Use Content from SD (Solved)

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Report it to MS, its an easy fix for the Metro UI that extends into Windows 8 proper as well.

Welcome to live as an early adopter to a damn near new OS.

paulmd

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I too have had issues with indexing etc on the Video app.

I have found a third party app called Multimedia 8 and this has worked flawlessly with showing videos and music - i have tested by moving media in and out of the SD folders that are setup within the library and they appear/remove straight away.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I changed the default save folder for pictures back to the internal location and the camera folder works perfectly after that.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
So as i read this is a "problem" with Windows proper. Removable storage can't be indexed within the Windows OS.

THe apps just need to be updated to let you view removable media

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Anybody find a solution to the apps not recognizing new files when added?

I tried the paul thurrot method and the method posted in here, issues with the app recognizing newly added files.

I tried the xda way by changing the drive and mounting into C drive and had issues as well.

The only way i can get it recognize new files is to go into properties of the music video folder under libraries and choose to locate the microsd main folder, if you choose the subfolder for like music/video, etc, it will recognize all the files initially, but not ones that you add later. If you choose main folder which i called the microsd folder, it recognizes as you add except now i see all my sub folders in my photo app which is annoying.

What is the best method you guys have seen that adds your music or videos by adding a subfolder as your location and also have your surface recognize new incoming files?

So right now, i have it set where the library locates the main microsd folder instea of sub folders, new files recognize and it music plays if you put the surface to sleep as well.

Boy i wish it wasnt this confusing.

Last edited:

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd also like to know if there's a better way for the Music + Video apps to recognise new files as they're added, without re-mounting the SD card each time.

Tempted to try out the Multimedia 8 app mentioned above and see how it works.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd also like to know if there's a better way for the Music + Video apps to recognise new files as they're added, without re-mounting the SD card each time.

Tempted to try out the Multimedia 8 app mentioned above and see how it works.

For me, i just stated today, that if you set you library to locate the main SD folder going into properties under the music/video folder under libraries and not the sub folder, new files will recognize.

You can still set your sub folder as default save destination i beleive and it will still recognize.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
The thing that works best for me is a VHD on the SD. That way I can have my camera roll on the VHD and it works.

My music works even when the device sleeps but sometimes it will stutter here and there.

mattgrif

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I too have had issues with indexing etc on the Video app.

I have found a third party app called Multimedia 8 and this has worked flawlessly with showing videos and music - i have tested by moving media in and out of the SD folders that are setup within the library and they appear/remove straight away.

I had that same problem then I realized I could use a VHD. I wrote up a blog about how to do this with a VHD and enable indexing on the VHD.

Configure Surface to use MicroSD as Primary Storage | Matt Blogs IT

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
This is awesome! This fixed the indexing issue. Didn't think it would be that simple. Thanks a million! All changes are instantly reflected in the photos app now. No more rebuilding.... lol

cant seem to follow this once it gets to the creating files and stuff. anyway to get this done on video?

mattgrif

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This is awesome! This fixed the indexing issue. Didn't think it would be that simple. Thanks a million! All changes are instantly reflected in the photos app now. No more rebuilding.... lol
Glad to hear it helped you, that's exactly why I did it this way because the indexing was ticking me off with the Photos app.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear it helped you, that's exactly why I did it this way because the indexing was ticking me off with the Photos app.

Yes it was getting on my nerves too. This was a simple fix. I'm also now following your blog. Thanks again. Now if we can just get an MKV player. lol

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
If you're looking to just add your media library, I wrote a write up a 2 days ago:
How To add your MicroSD to a Windows Music, Picture, or Video Library

It's pretty straight forward, and unless you're looking to make it into your primary for everything, this has worked great for me. Hope it helps.

THis seems to simple to be true compared to all the other ways people have said...

HOpefully it works well, can you confirm that these issues dont exist with this method?

-Music stopping after a few seconds the tablet goes to sleep
-not recognizing new files

Feedback appreciated.

TeamRadicus

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Matt,

Great method - works flawlessly! Thanks.

Toni

P.S. Add a couple of lines at the beginning of the post to enable unsigned PS scripts otherwise the auto-mount script will fail by default.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb