Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bforster View Post
    O holy **** I didn't know about this. I have heard of teamview but never tried it. I am installing it now. This could save my A**. Thanks for the help. Hope it does everything I need.
    Cheers!

Edit-- okay it's working but only issue I have is the function keys (F1 through F12), They wont work when in this app. I can't do the ctr alt del since it will do this to my computer witch is logging into another server on VNC. man hitting yet another wall.

All I need is the F8 key to log in.
    You're doing it wrong. While in TeamViewer you right click or swipe up to bring up the bottom menu which lets you send CTRL+ALT+Delete.

Quote Originally Posted by toddpart View Post
    @Ruckamuck were you able to get connected to a Cisco AnyConnect Server by manually configuring the Windows RT VPN settings? If so, could you share what protocols you and authentication methods you selected?

my IT department tried and could not VPN because the surface doesn't support IPSec.

Quote Originally Posted by bforster View Post
    O holy **** I didn't know about this. I have heard of teamview but never tried it. I am installing it now. This could save my A**. Thanks for the help. Hope it does everything I need.

Cheers!

Edit-- okay it's working but only issue I have is the function keys (F1 through F12), They wont work when in this app. I can't do the ctr alt del since it will do this to my computer witch is logging into another server on VNC. man hitting yet another wall.

All I need is the F8 key to log in.
    if you get into your network using this please let me know. Thank you.

The Surface RT has built in VPN support Cisco has not release a VPN client claiming that RT doesn't have the proper API available, but MS says they do. So VPN support is there and works great outside of proprietary Cisco stuff but we don't really know shy cisco isn't supporting

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    so if your company's remote.xxx.net website wants to download Cisco AnyConnect VPN in order to access the site securely via VPN, how do you get something like Teamviewer to work?
    Teamviewer seems just like another PCanywhere personal RDP app not something that an enterprise (especially a Cisco based one) would allow to connect into their network.
    If there is a way to get Teamviewer to take the place of and look like Cisco AnyConnect to the firewall that would be something good to know.
    I don't think that's possible though.
    I know some mobile browser are able to look and act like their desktop counterparts to the host

Cisco really needs to get their act together and get a WinRT version of AnyConnect out there. Even if they need to work with MS - just get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck83 View Post
    Cisco really needs to get their act together and get a WinRT version of AnyConnect out there. Even if they need to work with MS - just get it done.
    a month later... still waiting for any sign of hope this will happen

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Seems that its just another lazy company (Cisco) that wont make a true windows 8 modern application until they deem it necessary. Seeing that probably 90% of windows 8 users are not on RT, they don't need a traditional windows 8 application in order to use their client. Cisco's Anyconnect application is what my office uses, but I have installed Teamviewer on my Surface RT, and on my work computer, and it works like a charm - a little slower than if I used the direct link through Cisco, but it works, and is fine for most tasks - especially if your not doing graphics intense work. The Anyconnect application works through the desktop on windows 8, which is probably why MS wont give Cisco the API's necessary to run their software. My guess is that Cisco is lazy - they want to be able to use their existing desktop software, and MS wont give them the info to do so - forcing them to re-write the code for a modern application, so its a little game of he said/she said. Hopefully they see the light, and make the damn app. Until then, Teamviewer will have to do.

I have windows 8 installed on my laptop, and really like the modern UI - maybe im in the minority with this, but I like it. I like the applications, the short cuts, the mouse hot spots, etc. Not sure why people hate it so much.

Good god! Where is it already?!?!?!?!
    explosive0 likes this.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runamuck83 View Post
    Good god! Where is it already?!?!?!?!
    It's mind-blowing. The only thing holding us from giving ~100 field users Surface RT's is lack of this. We can't justify the cost of the Pro version.

Quote Originally Posted by explosive012 View Post
    It's mind-blowing. The only thing holding us from giving ~100 field users Surface RT's is lack of this. We can't justify the cost of the Pro version.
    +1 - two things keeping me from surface nirvana - this and a note taking app that rivals penultimate

From Cisco.com
    AnyConnect 3.0 Release Notes - Cisco Systems

Limitations to AnyConnect Support for Windows 8
    AnyConnect is not supported on Windows RT. There are no APIs provided in the operating system to provide this functionality. Cisco has an open request with Microsoft on this topic. Customers who want this functionality should contact Microsoft to express their interest.

Um... Its not Cisco being lazy - its your beloved Microsoft... go pro and get what you need. Why would you want a dumbed down tablet that was never meant for full business integration?
    From Cisco.com
    AnyConnect 3.0 Release Notes - Cisco Systems

Limitations to AnyConnect Support for Windows 8
    •AnyConnect is not supported on Windows RT. There are no APIs provided in the operating system to provide this functionality. Cisco has an open request with Microsoft on this topic. Customers who want this functionality should contact Microsoft to express their interest.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BilliBilligan View Post
    Um... Its not Cisco being lazy - its your beloved Microsoft... go pro and get what you need. Why would you want a dumbed down tablet that was never meant for full business integration?
    Half the cost and twice the battery life are pretty compelling reasons to want the RT. And it is certainly capable of meeting most people's business needs if Microsoft would only support it properly. Most businesses can't justify a Pro. It is not enough to replace a real PC and too expensive as a companion device.

Really it's an incompetent, greedy, and inexcusable move by Microsoft. They have a mobile OS capable of dominating the enterprise. Instead they continue to hand the market to Android and iOS on a silver platter.

Global Posts
    852 Global Posts
    A new $500 level surface with clovertail is what's needed.

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I would like to know why the hell Citrix was able to get their remote desktop application to work, and Cisco cannot? My Wifes company uses Citrix, and can connect no problem with my surface RT..........and here I sit forced to use Teamviewer, which is not nearly as good.

This still isn't out yet?

Global Posts
    2,574 Global Posts
    nope, doubt it will ever come. Cisco has a stick up their **** about Microsoft it seems.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    Yeah, I have been waiting on it for RT, and Windows Phone 8.1. There is IKEv2, and L2TP with IPSEC, but still no IPSEC. So, if these other clients can work on RT/WP, then Cisco should be able to make IPSEC work. I emailed them, they said the user base wasn't there for them to make anything for RT/WP. But, that one may come in the future. So, the issue is with Cisco, not MS.
    Matty

I have this same issue but maybe you can do something ghetto like using Teamviewer from the Surface to connect to a x86 Win box that you can run Anyconnect from.

-E
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12